The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do for my personal statement

Recently we were told we need to start writing our personal statements, the only problem is I don't have a clue what I want to do in the future.. How am I supposed to write a ps????
Reply 1
Original post by Damnalevels
Recently we were told we need to start writing our personal statements, the only problem is I don't have a clue what I want to do in the future.. How am I supposed to write a ps????

I'd advise to do a bit of research, and exploring possible options. This include attending open days for particular courses; watching YouTube videos about them (there are many informative videos out there, that would REALLY help you); talking to students here and elsewhere about a particular course; looking through university websites to find courses.

I was in the exact same position as you, so I made a large list of interesting courses, and started to narrow down throughout the years until around November (one month before sending my application, though I've made 5 different PS beforehand and started changing words for my chosen course).

Anyways, to answer your question: you should start writing a bit about yourself to make it easier for you later when you do find a course. Try answering these questions:
-The skills I have and how are they useful?
-Work experience or previous experience in something?
-Interests and hobbies, and possible skills/things you've learnt from it?
- What are my plans for the future?
It will be easier to decide on 2/3 courses you might be interested in (linked to your current A Levels), and maybe write a few PSs for them. Writing them may help you decide, along with the research mentioned above. And when you're ready to start writing, look at the PS help builder tool and the other resources in my signature below :smile:
Reply 3
Probably time to get thinking about career paths...

Obviously you can't write a personal statement without knowing what course you want to apply for, so you'll have to decide on that first :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending