The Student Room Group

Fail as - still apply for uni?

I think i got A/B'S in geography and economics, however i know i've got an E in C1 and C2 in maths but i'm sure I can get an A for decision1 in a few weeks if i work really hard. Even so, i'd only get a D overall. I am obviously planning on resitting one of the exams next year as i cant resit them both i dont think.

Anyway, my question is - would universities who want ABB still give me an offer? I know next year i can get A's and B's in my 3 subjects but if my AS results this year are BBD would i not be able to apply for the universities i want to go to who want ABB? I know maths has messed me up but I am so determined to do well next year and i know i can, i normally get A's in C1 and C2 but the exams this year was so so hard.

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by Anishax___
I think i got A/B'S in geography and economics, however i know i've got an E in C1 and C2 in maths but i'm sure I can get an A for decision1 in a few weeks if i work really hard. Even so, i'd only get a D overall. I am obviously planning on resitting one of the exams next year as i cant resit them both i dont think.

Anyway, my question is - would universities who want ABB still give me an offer? I know next year i can get A's and B's in my 3 subjects but if my AS results this year are BBD would i not be able to apply for the universities i want to go to who want ABB? I know maths has messed me up but I am so determined to do well next year and i know i can, i normally get A's in C1 and C2 but the exams this year was so so hard.

Thanks guys :smile:

No-one can tell you that I'm afraid. There is a chance, yes, but there are so many factors involved. I wouldn't try and make excuses like 'the exams were hard' though, even if it is true (which from what I've heard those exams weren't nice). If your teachers are confident that you will get those grades then they might predict them on your UCAS application, however the D being predicted a B might look a little strange. Normally they'll only predict one grade up - for example I got ABC at AS and was predicted AAB for university.

Ultimately it will be up to the university. Do you have any universities/courses in mind? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
No-one can tell you that I'm afraid. There is a chance, yes, but there are so many factors involved. I wouldn't try and make excuses like 'the exams were hard' though, even if it is true (which from what I've heard those exams weren't nice). If your teachers are confident that you will get those grades then they might predict them on your UCAS application, however the D being predicted a B might look a little strange. Normally they'll only predict one grade up - for example I got ABC at AS and was predicted AAB for university.

Ultimately it will be up to the university. Do you have any universities/courses in mind? :smile:

Aw omg i really want to get into loughborough university but they want AAB. I am so sure i got A's this year apart from maths which will be a D. So ill be predicted AAC wont i which is not enough for loughborough. Even retaking wont help?

Can i not call around with my end results next year and hope for the best?

And yes, I would love to do economics and study it at Loughborough University. I wanted to study at warwick but they will defo not accept me as they want A's and A*s - i know i can get those grades next year which sucks! Also Nottingham or Aston. I live in Birmingham and don't want to go further than an hour from home haha! I guess i have keele/nottingham on trent/coventry as back up as they want BBB/BBC even though i dont want to settle for that lol! :smile:

What are you studying? :smile:
Aw omg i really want to get into loughborough university but they want AAB. I am so sure i got A's this year apart from maths which will be a D. So ill be predicted AAC wont i which is not enough for loughborough. Even retaking wont help?

Can i not call around with my end results next year and hope for the best?

And yes, I would love to do economics and study it at Loughborough University. I wanted to study at warwick but they will defo not accept me as they want A's and A*s - i know i can get those grades next year which sucks! Also Nottingham or Aston. I live in Birmingham and don't want to go further than an hour from home haha! I guess i have keele/nottingham on trent/coventry as back up as they want BBB/BBC even though i dont want to settle for that lol! :smile:

What are you studying? :smile:

If you do end up with an AAC prediction there is no reason why you can't at least try and apply - the worst that can happen is that they will say no! Retaking will definitely help and if you do you might be able to persuade your teachers to predict you a B, and seeing as you'd be retaking I can't imagine it would seem strange either. You could phone them on results day, I'm not 100% sure they do Adjustment because I've never looked. Oooh you live pretty close, I'm in Stratford-Upon-Avon! Have you looked at the Uni of Birmingham at all? NTU is quite good, I went on an open day :smile:

I'm studying A2 Sociology, Psychology and Film at the moment and hoping to go to Cardiff to study Journalism, Media & Sociology in September :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
If you do end up with an AAC prediction there is no reason why you can't at least try and apply - the worst that can happen is that they will say no! Retaking will definitely help and if you do you might be able to persuade your teachers to predict you a B, and seeing as you'd be retaking I can't imagine it would seem strange either. You could phone them on results day, I'm not 100% sure they do Adjustment because I've never looked. Oooh you live pretty close, I'm in Stratford-Upon-Avon! Have you looked at the Uni of Birmingham at all? NTU is quite good, I went on an open day :smile:

I'm studying A2 Sociology, Psychology and Film at the moment and hoping to go to Cardiff to study Journalism, Media & Sociology in September :smile:

That is true! I guess I will have to really persuade my teacher! If they lower the grade boundaries for maths i could end up getting a C overall in maths if i smash one of my maths modules which means i could be predicted a B just fingers crossed! Even thoguh the exams were hard last year and they didn't drop the grade boundaries.

And aw yeah you are really close! Uni of Birmingham looks nice tbh but AAA!! i can only pray haha!

Yeah nottingham on trent looks nice but im basing it off youtube videos - i haven't gone to any open days yet. It looks really friendly. What did you like about it?

And ah sounds good! How do you think your exams have gone? :smile:
That is true! I guess I will have to really persuade my teacher! If they lower the grade boundaries for maths i could end up getting a C overall in maths if i smash one of my maths modules which means i could be predicted a B just fingers crossed! Even thoguh the exams were hard last year and they didn't drop the grade boundaries.

And aw yeah you are really close! Uni of Birmingham looks nice tbh but AAA!! i can only pray haha!

Yeah nottingham on trent looks nice but im basing it off youtube videos - i haven't gone to any open days yet. It looks really friendly. What did you like about it?

And ah sounds good! How do you think your exams have gone? :smile:

Yup I think everyone is hoping for low GBs :tongue: They normally come out on here on midnight before Results (so 00:00 on the 17th) which is pretty cool. I'm sure you've done better than you think anyways - normally when I think I've 'failed' I've actually done pretty well! Is it Edexcel Maths? I did that for AS a couple of years ago and hated it (hence the massive change in subjects).

You never know, you might! :smile:

I liked the city (normally I hate cities) and the lecturers were really friendly. I'd definitely try and visit if you can!

Only had one exam so far, and that was a Film AS retake (5 damn UMS off a B last year!!). Don't think I did as well as last year but I'll have to wait and see!

Quick Reply

Latest