The Student Room Group

Personal Statements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-LJLB
It doesn't matter. It's wrong, you'll most likely get caught out, and if you go ahead with it I hope you do.
They want to find out why i am driven to do what i want to do, what i think and how my experiences have shaped that. Including someone else's writing that still conveys how i feel in a more effective way, but constitutes less than 1% of the entire essay doesn't change the fact that i still had those experiences, it doesn't change my ambitions and doesn't make it less authentic and less of a personal statement. I think this article fits in with my point
http://www.cnet.com/news/what-steve-jobs-really-meant-when-he-said-good-artists-copy-great-artists-steal/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
They want to find out why i am driven to do what i want to do, what i think and how my experiences have shaped that. Including someone else's writing that still conveys how i feel in a more effective, but constitutes less than 1% of the entire essay doesn't change the fact that i still had those experiences, it doesn't change my ambitions and doesn't make it less authentic and less of a personal statement.

Yes it does.
Original post by A-LJLB
Yes it does.
So accidental plagiarism changes how people feel, what they believe in, the experiences they go through? How?
(edited 7 years ago)
So accidental plagiarism changes how people feel, what they believe in, the experiences they have gone through? How?

It's not accidental! You are deliberately using somebody else's statement.
Your question has been answered, if you insist on this nonsense then do so, but you've been informed of the consequences of such an action

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LJLB
It's not accidental! You are deliberately using somebody else's statement.
It conveys a single point, that does not change the 99% of writing that is to some extent unique to me.

Accidental or not its still plagiarism. Unless that person knows what and why they are writing down, it doesn't change who they are.
It conveys a single point, that does not change the 99% of writing that is to some extent unique to me.

Accidental or not its still plagiarism. Unless that person knows what and why they are writing down, it doesn't change who they are.

You have been told it is a stupid idea. If you get caught then you may not be able to apply to universities. You're risking your own future out of pure laziness.

If you continue to do it, I hope that your choices do not offer you a place over someone else who was decent enough to spend time writing their own PERSONAL statement.
Reply 27
I copied it cause i couldn't get something down that felt truly captivating in an hour.

An hour x__x
It took me a few months to just come up with the opening sentence for my PS.
Do your research, you have heaps of time left.
Original post by gwagon
An hour x__x
It took me a few months to just come up with the opening sentence for my PS.
Do your research, you have heaps of time left.

It's not set in stone yet, just experimenting with ideas. Thanks though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending