The Student Room Group

Law work experience/ extra curricular activites

I am thinking of applying to the following universities:

University Of Birmingham

LSE

Durham University

Warwick University

Coventry University

As of yet I have only done around 61 hours of work experience(nopart-time jobs or any extracurricular activities e.g. NCS or Duke Of EdinburghAward). I was wondering whether this would be enough. However, during my work experienceplacement I did go court and observe around 5 cases and talked to 3 barristers. I was thinking of doing a part time jobduring the summer holiday, but I was wondering whether I should just focus onmy studies as I want to obtain 2 A*'s and an A.

Thank you for your help.
You're applying for a law degree not a legal job/career. Work experience and extra curriculars aren't a factor in selecting who gets an offer.

What you have will give you some insight and might be worth mentioning in your ps but your focus should be on the academic study of law. THAT is what you're applying to do for the next 3 years.
However, most Unis will want some evidence that you have actually thought about the career - or at least have an idea of how Law is applied in practice. You have asked exactly the same question elsewhere on TSR - my advice is still the same. Work experience and 'examples' are a good way to structure your PS.
Thank you for your help and do you personally think by me obtaining a C in GCSE English Language but an A at GCSE English literature would hinder my application.
Reply 4
Hi,
I'm also a potential Law student doing my AS Levels. Just wondering how you got work experience with a Barristers' Chambers? I've tried and was told that I was too young/ not enough experience.
In your personal statement I recommend being very clear on what you gained/learnt from your work experience particularly the legal experience. If you express this effectively I think you have enough experience for a Law personal statement.

If a university wants more than a C at English Language or consider overall quality of GCSEs as part of the selection process, it should be clear on their prospectus and/or website. If not I would get in touch with them and ask. I think most universities would be fine but you have chosen a competitive course at competitive universities and it would be a shame to waste one or more of your UCAS choices on a university that won't offer a place because of your English Language GCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by aminulhussain
I am thinking of applying to the following universities:

University Of Birmingham

LSE

Durham University

Warwick University

Coventry University

As of yet I have only done around 61 hours of work experience(nopart-time jobs or any extracurricular activities e.g. NCS or Duke Of EdinburghAward). I was wondering whether this would be enough. However, during my work experienceplacement I did go court and observe around 5 cases and talked to 3 barristers. I was thinking of doing a part time jobduring the summer holiday, but I was wondering whether I should just focus onmy studies as I want to obtain 2 A*'s and an A.

Thank you for your help.

lol 61 hours...
You'll be fine.Read 3 books, and go and watch something high profile at the Old Bailey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending