The Student Room Group

Applying for uni and personal statement

Hi, I'm applying for University this year for 2017 entry. I've secured a place for work experience in engineering at British Airways. My placement starts on 17th Oct 2016, I fear that this might be too late and I might not be able to write about it in my personal statement for UCAS. I'm aiming for unis like Bristol and Bath. What should I do?
When is the deadline for the personal statement?

If it's before you start your placement, you can always include something like "I'm looking forward to beginning a placement at British Airways in October, where I hope to develop my skills in blah blah and gain an insight into a career in engineering."

Definitely mention it because it's a great plus!
I applied for a totally different subject to you, but when I did so I had some work experience lined up for the October half term, after the UCAS deadline for my course. I still mentioned the placement, saying that I was looking forward to it, so that it could be bought up at any potential interviews. Unless your course has specific work experience requirements that need to be fulfilled by a certain date, I imagine you'll be okay.

Congrats on getting such a cool placement, by the way. Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I applied for a totally different subject to you, but when I did so I had some work experience lined up for the October half term, after the UCAS deadline for my course. I still mentioned the placement, saying that I was looking forward to it, so that it could be bought up at any potential interviews. Unless your course has specific work experience requirements that need to be fulfilled by a certain date, I imagine you'll be okay.

Congrats on getting such a cool placement, by the way. Good luck with your application :smile:

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, right now. Thank you for your reply. Do you think I should email British Airways and ask them if they could prepone my placement. I fear that it's a big company and they might be annoyed at me for doing so.
Original post by sunshiine
Thank you for your reply. Do you think I should email British Airways and ask them if they could prepone my placement. I fear that it's a big company and they might be annoyed at me for doing so.

If you could do it this summer holiday then that would be ideal if you want to send your PS off before the originally planned dates. Don't worry about annoying them. You won't be the first person to want to rearrange a placement, my only worry is that summer is probably their busiest time so they may not have space. Still worth asking though, the worst that can happen is that they say no!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending