The Student Room Group

Help! I really don't know how to write a Study Proposal

Hello everyone!
I'm applying for the MA Costume for Performance at London College of Fashion
They ask me for a Portfolio (Check), Essay (Check), Personal Statement (check), and for a Study Proposal. WHICH I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE:facepalm:
i never wrote one and i don't know where to begin
they tell me this
"Your study proposal should be no more than 400 words (excluding research sources and bibliography). It should:biggrin:escribe the performance context of the proposal, demonstrating your knowledge of the historical and contemporary context of your area of studySuggest the area of study in your project proposal, e.g. a particular text(s)/ subject area(s) you might be interesting in exploring/ devising aroundConsider that the study proposal does change in consultation with tutors; however we need to ensure that you are thinking on the right level for MA study."
So is that supposed to be an article? Some kind of research?
Or something similar to an essay?

Please help me!
I wrote my dissertation about Costume, but i don't know what i should write now

helphelphelp
Original post by bethkay93
Hello everyone!
I'm applying for the MA Costume for Performance at London College of Fashion
They ask me for a Portfolio (Check), Essay (Check), Personal Statement (check), and for a Study Proposal. WHICH I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE:facepalm:
i never wrote one and i don't know where to begin
they tell me this
"Your study proposal should be no more than 400 words (excluding research sources and bibliography). It should:biggrin:escribe the performance context of the proposal, demonstrating your knowledge of the historical and contemporary context of your area of studySuggest the area of study in your project proposal, e.g. a particular text(s)/ subject area(s) you might be interesting in exploring/ devising aroundConsider that the study proposal does change in consultation with tutors; however we need to ensure that you are thinking on the right level for MA study."
So is that supposed to be an article? Some kind of research?
Or something similar to an essay?

Please help me!
I wrote my dissertation about Costume, but i don't know what i should write now

helphelphelp

Otherwise known as a research proposal. it's a proposal for a piece of independent study. what is not clear is if they will actually make you do the study as an assessed part of the course. Research Masters always do, Taught Masters often do. Sounds as though they do have this as part of the course, but accept that you may not have a fixed idea in this area, so aren't making this a commitment.

They give you a good structure though. Build a framework around the questions they ask, and breaking the word limit down to fit, and then fill in the blanks!
Reply 2
There are books recommended for writing research proposals, available at libraries. Go to uni library and ask library assistant. Some unis even offer writing workshops.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Otherwise known as a research proposal. it's a proposal for a piece of independent study. what is not clear is if they will actually make you do the study as an assessed part of the course. Research Masters always do, Taught Masters often do. Sounds as though they do have this as part of the course, but accept that you may not have a fixed idea in this area, so aren't making this a commitment.

They give you a good structure though. Build a framework around the questions they ask, and breaking the word limit down to fit, and then fill in the blanks!

So should that be about some subject/ topic i want to study?
I don't understand, this is meant for my application, and it's 400 words, not much... so it really doesn't look like a real research proposal
What do you suggest i write about?

I'm feeling so stupid, and LCF won't answer my mails :colonhash:
Reply 4
Original post by Tcannon
There are books recommended for writing research proposals, available at libraries. Go to uni library and ask library assistant. Some unis even offer writing workshops.

Yeah, I guess.
The problem is that I'm still in italy at the moment, I don't think I'll find some here :curious::curious:
Original post by bethkay93
So should that be about some subject/ topic i want to study?
I don't understand, this is meant for my application, and it's 400 words, not much... so it really doesn't look like a real research proposal
What do you suggest i write about?

I'm feeling so stupid, and LCF won't answer my mails :colonhash:

Yup, an application and 400 words is entirely consistent with a research proposal. And yes, it should be a topic you want to study. They give you everything you need in the notes.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Yup, an application and 400 words is entirely consistent with a research proposal. And yes, it should be a topic you want to study. They give you everything you need in the notes.

I guess I'll starting writing something about the Elizabethan Costume, then
That's something I know about but I would also like to study that in the Queen's country haha
So I'll guess I will at least start my writing...
Thank you for the help :biggrin:
Reply 7
Bear in mind that one-third of the marks for this Masters will come from your independent project. The proposal you're writing should describe what you are currently considering researching for that project. It won't necessarily be what you end up doing (mine wasn't!) but the proposal demonstrates that you are thinking about research in the right way and are developing the right skills.

They describe their ideal candidate on the subject's web page:

The course seeks to recruit students who can demonstrate:
- The potential to develop their practical and critical abilities through academic study
- Critical knowledge of a subject area
- A capacity for intellectual enquiry and reflective thought
- An openness to new ideas and a willingness to participate actively in their own intellectual development
- Initiative and a developed and mature attitude to independent study

Make sure that your research proposal demonstrates some or all of these attributes. If you write about Elizabethan costume, read and cite the latest industry and arts sources for these, show awareness of some recent work involving it, try to bring in recent developments or thinking around it, outline what you want your research to add to the field, etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
Bear in mind that one-third of the marks for this Masters will come from your independent project. The proposal you're writing should describe what you are currently considering researching for that project. It won't necessarily be what you end up doing (mine wasn't!) but the proposal demonstrates that you are thinking about research in the right way and are developing the right skills.

They describe their ideal candidate on the subject's web page:

Make sure that your research proposal demonstrates some or all of these attributes. If you write about Elizabethan costume, read and cite the latest industry and arts sources for these, show awareness of some recent work involving it, try to bring in recent developments or thinking around it, outline what you want your research to add to the field, etc.

Thank you so much, this was the best reply I received!
Perfect explanation, thank you so so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending