The Student Room Group

To Everyone worried about their GCSE and AS results.

To all people worrying about their GCSE and AS results - especially all the threads.. 'I only got 6 A* at GCSE... is this enough to get into Durham? :frown: ' ...

A little reassurance:
- I got AABBBBBCC at GCSE.
- I got BDDE in my first year of AS.

- I never, ever worked hard, because I had no goal or obvious reason to.

- I restarted with subjects I actually liked and found what I wanted to study.

2nd Shot at AS:
AAAA - Offers from St Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and Sheffield.

- Never underestimate the power of a strong personal statement - it can really make it up, If you demonstrate clearly and explicitly that you have now found what you wish to do and show genuine passion for it - you will be fine, and if you can get the AS grades to back it up - which I didn't have at all to begin with either - then they will take you very seriously. Don't worry - you'll be surprised. I thought they'd laugh at my grades.

* Also - when I restarted I went to a totally different college, further away - because I think it's very important to detach yourself from the restrictive expectations and attitudes at your old institution. When I started at a new place, I was fresh - the first thing they saw was my altered attitude and hence, expectations of my new grades were standard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dock-leaf
To all people worrying about their GCSE and AS results - especially all the threads.. 'I only got 6 A* at GCSE... is this enough to get into Durham? :frown: ' ...

A little reassurance:

2nd Shot at AS:

- Never underestimate the power of a strong personal statement - it can really make it up, If you demonstrate clearly and explicitly that you have now found what you wish to do and show genuine passion for it - you will be fine, and if you can get the AS grades to back it up - which I didn't have at all to begin with either - then they will take you very seriously. Don't worry - you'll be surprised. I thought they'd laugh at my grades.

That is very correct. 👏👍
What a lovely thread, a lot of GCSE students are struggling today and this is a lovely message to remind them anything is possible if they apply themselves! :yy:

A little reassurance:

2nd Shot at AS:

I got similar GCSEs to yours. My AS results were significantly better than yours (on the first try). I just want to know the course applied for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by *ihavenoidea*
That is very correct. 👏👍

Yeah, I think many people 'start' a little later than others - and to be honest, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; it demonstrates that they aren't just robots working for social and institutional pressures - but that they work for something, and simply found that a little later, or at all. I think that is perhaps more impressive and people should not be put off by GCSE results etc.
Reply 5
Original post by iEthan
What a lovely thread, a lot of GCSE students are struggling today and this is a lovely message to remind them anything is possible if they apply themselves! :yy:

Ahh thank you - that's nice to hear :smile:
Yeah, I think many people 'start' a little later than others - and to be honest, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; it demonstrates that they aren't just robots working for social and institutional pressures - but that they work for something, and simply found that a little later, or at all. I think that is perhaps more impressive and people should not be put off by GCSE results etc.

Haha yeah I was one of those people 😂😂 but still you're right it doesn't really matter just don't leave it too late.
Reply 7
To be honest - I think whether this happens or not is essentially down to the attitude of the individual; and that's why I think it's valuable. Because sure, most people probably will not commit to going to a new place and restarting, confident they can change things.. that's the separating factor - and is something very much in the hands of the individual.
Amazing!!
Well done!!

You have shown courage!
I admire your determination!!

What subjects did you do at AS?
Reply 9
Original post by AppleB
Amazing!!
Well done!!

You have shown courage!
I admire your determination!!

What subjects did you do at AS?