The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Cambridge

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Any opinions would be greatly helpful, thanks!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Really, 50 seconds and you ..."bump"
I mean....you have the grades tho your GCSEs are not quite exceptional but they're still good.

Give it a go, if Cambridge is your dream
Reply 3
Original post by BioOx
Really, 50 seconds and you ..."bump"
I mean....you have the grades tho your GCSEs are not quite exceptional but they're still good.

Give it a go, if Cambridge is your dream

thanks, yeah at GCSE I didn't really revise as hard.
I only bumped because I got told its a good way to get responses
Reply 4
Original post by AnonEcon
GCSE: 3A* (Maths,Physics,Chem) 3A 5B

A Levels;
Maths: A (91 UMS)
Physics: A (100 UMS)
Economics: B (? UMS)
Geography B (79.5 UMS) [Dropped]

A2 Predictions: A*A*A

Applying for ECONOMICS courses, just wondering if there's any point in making an application?

Hi there. Just do your research on the college you choose. Some might want further maths and some might ask for STEP in their offer! 'Good luck 😀
Reply 5
Original post by 210555
Hi there. Just do your research on the college you choose. Some might want further maths and some might ask for STEP in their offer! 'Good luck 😀

Thank you, yeah I've got a few in mind which don't seem so focused on the further maths side
Reply 6
Original post by 210555
some might ask for STEP in their offer! 'Good luck 😀

Not really. Extremely rarely. And only a very few colleges.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/step

In fact I haven't seen a STEP requirement in Economics for quite a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thank you, yeah I've got a few in mind which don't seem so focused on the further maths side

Good to hear you are doing your research :smile:

The B in Economics and the lack of FM will disadvantage you unfortunately. But it's not insurmountable. :smile: And a strong EAAS will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Not really. Extremely rarely. And only a very few colleges.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/step

In fact I haven't seen a STEP requirement in Economics for quite a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except it is mentioned on the " entry requirements" section of the departmental website. So maybe worthwhile checking just in case, particularly with the absence of further maths. Just an observation. Good luck to the applicant 😀
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Good to hear you are doing your research :smile:

The B in Economics and the lack of FM will disadvantage you unfortunately. But it's not insurmountable. :smile: And a strong EAAS will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was expecting an A in Economics, and a B in Physics at best so not sure how that happened.

What does "EAAS" mean, never heard of this before?
Reply 10
Original post by 210555
Except it is mentioned on the " entry requirements" section of the departmental website. So maybe worthwhile checking just in case, particularly with the absence of further maths. Just an observation. Good luck to the applicant 😀

Cambridge now have their own Economics admissions test which involves advanced mathematics, so hopefully if I revise well, I can get a good score to make up for lack of further maths
Reply 11
Original post by 210555

The link I gave included the list of colleges that ask for STEP for Economics. St Edmunds (a mature college) "might" and TitHall only in "exceptional circumstances".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yeah I was expecting an A in Economics, and a B in Physics at best so not sure how that happened.

What does "EAAS" mean, never heard of this before?

Sorry, it's EAA Economics Admissions Assessment

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ecaa_specification.pdf

It's all in the Entry Requirements page.
Cambridge now have their own Economics admissions test which involves advanced mathematics, so hopefully if I revise well, I can get a good score to make up for lack of further maths

Yes that one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13

Best of luck 😀
Reply 14
Original post by 210555
Best of luck 😀

thank you ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending