The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for UCL?

Grades:
A - Maths, Chemistry, Physics, History and RE
B - Geography, English Language and Literature and Biology
C - PE and Spanish

Are these anywhere near good enough for a course like medicine or economics?
For A Levels I am taking Maths, History, Chemistry and Economics
(edited 7 years ago)
The average UCL candidate has primarily A* and As at GCSE but it mainly depends on what you get predicted for A Levels. For medicine, you also need to do the relevant assessment(s).

/thread
Reply 2
What course are you looking to do at UCL ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OmarAl
Grades:
C - PE and Spanish

For medicine, no. You'd be put into the bottom GCSE band for UCL. For economics, yes.
Reply 4
I think (don't quote me on this) you need at least an A in a foreign language otherwise you have to do some extra test or you'll just be rejected
Original post by OmarAl
Grades:
C - PE and Spanish

Probably not enough for medicine - most people get A*s and a few As; especially for biology. That said, getting A*s/As in your A Levels for the relevant subjects, plus a REALLY good BMAT score and a strong personal statement may bump you up.

Original post by nega166
I think (don't quote me on this) you need at least an A in a foreign language otherwise you have to do some extra test or you'll just be rejected

For medicine at least, if you don't have a GCSE in a foreign language you have to take a summer school at UCL in a foreign language. My friend did it and she actually loved it, so silver linings :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by nega166

According to their website it's a C, so I think OP's Spanish grade should suffice:
UK students who do not have a GCSE grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) on admission to UCL will be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once they are enrolled with us. This will either be through study for a specially designed certificate at the UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE), or by taking a 0.5 CU (course-unit) course in a language as part of their degree programme.

Quick Reply

Latest