The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mimzie
Oh dear, I must have misread the question because I thought the word order did matter and used that to eliminate a lot of the possible options whoops! Too late now though.

I'm somehow hoping its pretty much impossible to finish all of the numerical test properly in time, I mean 30 questions in 10 mins is really hard going!

Good luck everyone!

Sorry for asking the same question again, but are you able to work out the answers in your head, or do you need to write them down or use a calculator?

Are both tests 30 questions in 10 mins?
Reply 21
Original post by theduffman82
Sorry for asking the same question again, but are you able to work out the answers in your head, or do you need to write them down or use a calculator?

I didn't. Before you start the test you are given examples of the questions so you will be able to see for yourself. Good luck!

They are, yes.
I've found some practice Numeracy tests here http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/numerical-reasoning-tests/

I haven't done the actual HMRC test so not sure if these practice ones are a fair reflection of what they might be like. The practice ones were a shock to the system, I really do need to brush up on my numeracy before plunging into the test!

Original post by Jjubb84
They are, yes.

30 for numeracy and 30 for verbal reasoning, so one question every 20 seconds? Yikes!
(edited 7 years ago)
I've just done the tests and I can honestly say I have no idea what most of the second half of those numeracy questions were about. And I'm pretty good at maths! I think I can wave good-bye to any hopes of an interview!
Did anyone else have problems on the address capture page? I've been trying for two hours to enter my 5 years' address history and it won't let me continue, saying that both addresses are incorrect. i've tried so many different combos and even used Google Chrome instead of IE and still no luck!
Original post by webster89
Did anyone else have problems on the address capture page? I've been trying for two hours to enter my 5 years' address history and it won't let me continue, saying that both addresses are incorrect. i've tried so many different combos and even used Google Chrome instead of IE and still no luck!

Im having the same issue. It may just be a temporary problem.
Original post by Jjubb84
They are, yes.
the verbal reasoning is 25 questions in 10 minutes. Numeracy is 30 in 10 minutes.
Original post by CrazyChemist4
the verbal reasoning is 25 questions in 10 minutes. Numeracy is 30 in 10 minutes.

Just tried it again and still getting nowhere. I've tried all sorts of combinations, I have no idea why it's not working. Did other applicants copy and paste their address from Google? It's starting to drive me insane!
Original post by CrazyChemist4

My bad...defo felt like 30!
Just tried it again and still getting nowhere. I've tried all sorts of combinations, I have no idea why it's not working. Did other applicants copy and paste their address from Google? It's starting to drive me insane!

I just typed the first line of my address and then postcode. When I first did the search it captured my address without the postcode and wouldn't accept it.

I use Google Chrome by the way!
Reply 31
I think they said if you can't put the whole address just put the town in only and it should let you go to next page. This manpower is completely useless.
Reply 32
I've just done the tests and I can honestly say I have no idea what most of the second half of those numeracy questions were about. And I'm pretty good at maths! I think I can wave good-bye to any hopes of an interview!

Ditto, I was tempted to try another application to attempt the tests again, not sure if that's possible, but I've resigned to accepting whatever results I get from my first attempt.
Did my Verbal Reasoning test and now to do the Numeracy one :frown:
I have to say the verbal test was harder. The "cheese:mould" one was hard - answers included milk:rise, soup:chicken, dairy:tongue:roduct, vinegar:wine, milk:yogurt. I literally had no idea and couldn't choose between vinegar:wine and milk:yogurt, or milk:rise. What did everyone else put???
Reply 35
I have to say the verbal test was harder. The "cheese:mould" one was hard - answers included milk:rise, soup:chicken, dairy:tongue:roduct, vinegar:wine, milk:yogurt. I literally had no idea and couldn't choose between vinegar:wine and milk:yogurt, or milk:rise. What did everyone else put???

I definitely concur with this. The verbal was much harder, the time pressure was insane. I only managed to complete 27/30 for the numerical, but felt more comfortable with the test. I guessed vinegar wine. I don't expect to get through. Just keep applying and hope for the best.
Yep the verbal was definitely confusing. Very tricky I felt, loads of trick questions. In regards to that question I put Milk:Rise

I went with milk:yoghurt on grounds of one being cultured from the other. Probably wrong but I had all of 5 seconds to make a semi-educated guess!
The jade and diamond one threw me as well - I put aftershave and perfume but tempted to put gasoline and oil!!
Reply 39
I did the tests this evening at got to 28 on numerical. There was only 1 I wasn't certain was right. Was there a minimum score? With similar recruitments I've been through, they have notified you if you have not met the minimum score.

Latest

Trending

Trending