The Student Room Group

Cambridge Engineering Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by wrekin98
Hi all,

Any engineering offer holders in this thread?

me :smile:
Original post by Bolts
me :smile:

Nice, congratulations for your offer! :smile:

I applied to Downing and received a direct offer. Tbh, I was actually quite surprised I even got an offer. Which college did you apply to?
Reply 1002
Original post by wrekin98
Nice, congratulations for your offer! :smile:

I applied to Downing and received a direct offer. Tbh, I was actually quite surprised I even got an offer. Which college did you apply to?

Cheers you too- I applied to Queens :smile: what's your offer?
Original post by Bolts
Cheers you too- I applied to Queens :smile: what's your offer?

A*A*A - The standard offer
Further Maths - A*
A*A in any 2 of Physics, Maths, or Chemistry.

Fortunately, Downing doesn't give 4 A Level offers or STEP.
What step paper do you have to do for engineering at cambridge?
Original post by metrize
What step paper do you have to do for engineering at cambridge?

None, unless you apply to Christ's (it's their standard offer now) or Peterhouse (sometimes). In which case it's a 1 in STEP I.

The general guidance is that getting an offer is easier if the college asks for STEP. But the offer is harder to achieve...

If you are confident in your maths it can be a good option..
Original post by jneill
None, unless you apply to Christ's (it's their standard offer now) or Peterhouse (sometimes). In which case it's a 1 in STEP I.

The general guidance is that getting an offer is easier if the college asks for STEP. But the offer is harder to achieve...

If you are confident in your maths it can be a good option..

Do you think i'll have a realistic chance of getting an offer at cambridge? I realise you may get asked this question very often but id like an opinion :smile:

GCSE
4A* - Maths + triple science
4A - english lang + lit, stats, media
BCE- hist, german, french (my school completely messed up the controlled assessments for languages, resulting in me going into the french exam with 0 UMS in my speaking.)

AS Level
Math
Further Math
Should be AA, if my predictions are correct i should have 91-94% UMS avg with 100UMS in M1,FP1,C2

A2 Predictions
Math A*
Further Math A/A* (this one really is just the luck of the paper in my opinion)
Physics A* (linear course)
AEA (edexcel) - distinction
possibly STEP 2 also, not sure yet.

If you would take the time to read and reply I would greatly appreciate it. I'd also understand if you didn't since you probably get this all the time.

P.S. I have looked at the flow chart but it doesn't fill me with confidence still.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by xyz9856
Do you think i'll have a realistic chance of getting an offer at cambridge? I realise you may get asked this question very often but id like an opinion :smile:

GCSE
4A* - Maths + triple science
4A - english lang + lit, stats, media
BCE- hist, german, french (my school completely messed up the controlled assessments for languages, resulting in me going into the french exam with 0 UMS in my speaking.)

AS Level
Math
Further Math
Should be AA, if my predictions are correct i should have 91-94% UMS avg with 100UMS in M1,FP1,C2

A2 Predictions
Math A*
Further Math A/A* (this one really is just the luck of the paper in my opinion)
Physics A* (linear course)
AEA (edexcel) - distinction
possibly STEP 2 also, not sure yet.

If you would take the time to read and reply I would greatly appreciate it. I'd also understand if you didn't since you probably get this all the time.

P.S. I have looked at the flow chart but it doesn't fill me with confidence still.

Thank you :smile:

You know what the entry requirements are. If you meet them you will be competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys what is the Pembroke looking at some question at interview? Will there be a random question that you have to do or do you go through it discussing it?
Original post by metrize
Hi guys what is the Pembroke looking at some question at interview? Will there be a random question that you have to do or do you go through it discussing it?

No question at a Cambridge interview is "random". They aren't trying to catch you out, they are trying to find good candidates who will do well in the Tripos.
Hey guys, how many hours per day is spent working typically for you all studying engineering?
Hi Guys, didn't see a forum for this, just thought id create it for those taking the engaa to speak about it and share revision tips and techniques and also for engineering applicants to get to know each other better:

Try and post:
Your Qualifications(include type) and Predicted Grades
Related activities
College you've applied to
other uni's youve applied to

good luck to everyone
So,

I'm a Scottish Student so doing SQA Highers and Advanced highers:
S5(Highers): AAAAA (Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, Computing Science)
S6(Predicted): AAAA(Advanced Maths, Advanced Physics, Advanced Computing and Higher Business Management)

Related activities: space school, headstart, work experiences, CREST Award, science and engineering club, maths challenges and wider reading.

College: Open, havent been assigned yet
Other unis: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, ICL

And how are people going about preparing for the ENGAA??
Original post by sassy01
So,

I'm a Scottish Student so doing SQA Highers and Advanced highers:
S5(Highers): AAAAA (Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, Computing Science)
S6(Predicted): AAAA(Advanced Maths, Advanced Physics, Advanced Computing and Higher Business Management)

Related activities: space school, headstart, work experiences, CREST Award, science and engineering club, maths challenges and wider reading.

College: Open, havent been assigned yet
Other unis: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, ICL

And how are people going about preparing for the ENGAA??

What engineering course you applying for ? I'm also applying to Strathclyde engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
What engineering course you applying for ? I'm also applying to Strathclyde engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm applying to mechanical at imperial and eme at Strathclyde and Edinburgh. Received an unconditional from Glasgow right there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done the engaa specimen paper, its pretty tough, mostly down to the time limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cannoning
Done the engaa specimen paper, its pretty tough, mostly down to the time limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I found as well how much did you get done in the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sassy01
That's what I found as well how much did you get done in the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I missed the last 10 questions on section 1 part b, and the whole of the last question is section 2 although a lot of it was pretty rushed in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702

Are you applying to Cambridge? This thread is in the Cambridge forum and the ENGAA is the Cambridge Engineering Admissions Assessment :wink:
Original post by Cannoning
I missed the last 10 questions on section 1 part b, and the whole of the last question is section 2 although a lot of it was pretty rushed in general.

Ah about the same as me, how do you think we could get our speed up??

Now that ive done the paper, i feel like ill remember the answers rather than do it again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending