The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2012!

It's getting to the time now when people are starting to choose their firm and insurance choices so I thought i'd get this thread up and rolling :smile:

Name: Sarah
Course: English in Education
Offer: Unconditional
Favourite accommodation: Alcuin I think :smile:
What are you most looking forward to about York? How beautiful the city is and studying somewhere with such a good reputation.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nice idea :smile:

Name: Tsvetelina
Course: Genetics with a year in industry
Offer: Conditional (5.50 in the Bulgarian Diploma za sredno obrazovanie + 5/6 in Biology/Chemistry)
Favourite accommodation: Vanbrugh - twin room
What are you most looking forward to about York: Everything xD New country, beautiful city, meeting people from all over the world, partying, finally study Genetcis and so on and so on...
(edited 12 years ago)
University of York
York
Ok so I haven't firmed it yet but 99% certain that I will be doing so after the visit day in April so I'll scrape in :tongue:

Name: Alex
Age 19
Course: History
Favourite accomodation: Vanbrugh
What areare you most looking forward to about York: Great History course, really tied to my interests, gorgeous old town, love the fact that the colleges make you part of a community from day one, meeting new people, having independance and self-reliance properly for the first time. Ah lots and lots of things :smile:
Reply 3
Name: Fiona
Course: History, but I'm definitely starting languages as well so throw Italian/Latin in there somewhere.
Favourite accommodation: Vanbrugh or Derwent, I can't decide
What are you most looking forward to about York? Being at university again, learning something that actually interests me, not (hopefully) being in "quiet accommodation" like last year, meeting people, societies, being independant again and not having to work behind a checkout anymore :P
Bumping this back up to the top- there must be more of us! :smile:
Reply 5
Name: Daniel
Course: PPE
Offer: Conditional (Provide satisfactory Maturazeugnis certificate)
Favourite accommodation: Alcuin or Derwent ??? :/
What are you most looking forward to about York? Meeting new people and studying PPE I guess.
Interesting that everyone so far has been 19/20. Didn't realise that many people take gap years as I was worried if I take a gap year I'll feel old when I start.
Original post by TheBrightSide
Interesting that everyone so far has been 19/20. Didn't realise that many people take gap years as I was worried if I take a gap year I'll feel old when I start.

Could also be that the people on Gap Years are the ones with time to waste posting on TSR :tongue:

Yeah I was worried that since i'm 20 no one would be bothered to talk to me, but it doesn't look like that's going to be an issue :smile:
Reply 9

I did a five year school (whereas the norm in Austria is four) and have to do civilian service :redface:
Name: Adam
Course: Law
Offer: Conditional (Distinction in Certificate course)
Favourite accommodation: Vanbrugh, Langwith or Derwent (as long as it's en-suite+catered)
What are you most looking forward to about York: Mostly, meeting likewise ambitious people. Also looking forward to living outside of Kent/London and beginning my path to a career in law.

About 99% sure York will be my firm, waiting to hear from Queen Mary.
Reply 11
Original post by admbeatmaker
Favourite accommodation: Vanbrugh, Langwith or Derwent (as long as it's en-suite+catered)

AFAIK only Langwith offers en-suite+catered accomodation.
Langwith will move to Heslington East this year though.
Derwent will take over their buildings on Heslington West.
So no idea if you have to apply for Derwent or Langwith if you want to be in the en-suite+catered accomodation that currently is Langwith? :colondollar:
Reply 12

In my country we graduate from school when we're 19 :biggrin: I mean it's not unusual to be 19/20 when you start uni and it doesn't nesessarily mean you've had a gap year.
Name: Michael
Course: Sociology
Favourite accommodation: James
What are you most looking forward to about York? The city and the course.
Name: Mathew
Course: Chemistry MChem
Offer: Conditional (ABB with A in Chemistry)
Favourite accommodation: Alcuin
What are you most looking forward to about York? Getting away from home, meeting new people..the usual.
Reply 15
Name: Mona
Course: Management
Offer: Conditional - 34 IB points
Favourite accommodation: Alcuin
What are you most looking forward to about York? meeting new people, the city, the course etc
Is there a Facebook page around yet?
Reply 17
Original post by MathewAlanJones
Is there a Facebook page around yet?

Only for applicants (which includes a lot of freshers): http://www.facebook.com/groups/222249687862853/
Name: Lucy
Course: Psychology
Offer: AAB
Favourite accommodation: James :smile:
What are you most looking forward to about York? Pretty city, good department and stuff :smile:
Reply 19

Original post by Historophilia
Could also be that the people on Gap Years are the ones with time to waste posting on TSR :tongue:

Original post by sarahwarahbarah
Yeah I was worried that since i'm 20 no one would be bothered to talk to me, but it doesn't look like that's going to be an issue :smile:

Another "not 18 year old" here. I'm still fairly nervous about it though as I'm turning 20 about three weeks into the first term and I was sharing with some people last year who had turned 18 in August so the age gap would be fairly substantial :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending