The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Freshers week - system change?

So term date begins 8/10/12, is it true that there may be a change in the previous years with more lectures now being included - obviously subject dependent?

However I assume many events will still also be held during this week than any other typical week? Is this true or as lectures tend to increase do the number of events also decrease?

Anyone know of any links to get details , either subject specific or non subject specific?

And is it the preceeding Monday that the week will start?

Thanks alot anyone, much appreciated =]
Reply 1
Freshers' week begins on 1st October. I have heard that unfortunately for the new intake of freshers there will be lectures going on throughout this week, with lectures for existing students starting on the 8th, hence the scheduled term start date. I doubt that these lectures will be particularly challenging and will probably be welcoming you to the course - outlining the module content, introducing the lecturers etc etc.

There are more events in freshers week than most other weeks, although it will vary by college. As far as I'm aware, even with the new system of more lectures, the events won't change. There will still be the freshers' fayre of course, and matriculation, and whatever else the colleges have planned. Somehow it will have to fit in around the lectures...

Details of freshers' week will be sent out at some point after results day if I remember rightly :smile:

Hope this helps a bit!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by rainbowsss
So term date begins 8/10/12, is it true that there may be a change in the previous years with more lectures now being included - obviously subject dependent?

However I assume many events will still also be held during this week than any other typical week? Is this true or as lectures tend to increase do the number of events also decrease?

Anyone know of any links to get details , either subject specific or non subject specific?

And is it the preceeding Monday that the week will start?

Thanks alot anyone, much appreciated =]

The general gist is "We'll have to wait and find out!". Durham don't tend to give out a lot of information in advance, I presume because they don't want to tell people if things aren't exactly confirmed yet.

Students will always get told what they need before things happen, so don't worry about it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest