The Student Room Group

Importance of an ICT GCSE?

I don't know what happened at my school, but the ICT results were awful. I don't think anyone got above a C in the school. All of the 'stupid' classes got straight Cs despite not doing any coursework, and most of my class (top set) got awful marks. The teacher entered me and one other person in my class for foundation with no explaination, and I got top marks in my exam getting me a C in that, but my coursework got 12/120 or something, giving me an F overall. Most of the year complained and nothing came out of it, so I've just given up.

So I'm going to sixth form now, and I was doing 4 A levels + critical thinking, but on enrolment they said you had to have an average grade thing of 6.5 to do critical thinking, and I had 5.7, so I had to do Philosophy instead (surely harder than critical thinking?!). I'm slightly worried that 5 A Levels is too much, but that's a different thread. :wink:

The majority of people from my school have been told to retake ICT or do key skills, whereas nothing was really mentioned to me. I'm guessing that ICT is fairy important, but I don't particularly want to retake it if I don't want to. Other than Music Technology I don't really need to use computers, and the F is not a true representation of how good I am at ICT anyway, so it's not like I'm going to struggle. I'm hoping to do music at university, and don't really plan on ever working in an office, so I'm not even sure if I'll ever have to use spreadsheets and stuff. My mum told me that once you've done A levels that GCSEs aren't that important anyway, and if you get a degree then people won't usually do a check on your GCSE grades at all, so I could just lie if I need to. But I don't want to have anything that could trip me up in the future.

This is my first thread so sorry if I've done anything wrong, but this has been an issue in the back of my head since the results came out, and I'm not sure what I should do about it.
I think it's fairly important considering that so much relies on computers nowadays. But yeah you may need to do key skills, re-sit, or do a CLAIT course. At my college, if you didn't have ICT gcse then you had to complete clait.
Reply 2
Well i've finished my a-levels and have got into uni, and my gcse in ict has not been useful at all yet.

I don't think its important tbh. as long as you have 5 gcse's which are grade C or above you're fine.
Reply 3
Maybe it's not useful, but maybe if you don't have it, it's a problem? I'm never going to use my science GCSEs either but apparantly you need 2 of those. :confused:
Reply 4
Xharianii
The teacher entered me and one other person in my class for foundation with no explaination, and I got top marks in my exam getting me a C in that, but my coursework got 12/120 or something, giving me an F overall. Most of the year complained and nothing came out of it, so I've just given up.

Awwww man that sucks ;/
My year did pretty badly at ICT this year too, everyone got 1 or 2 grades less than they were expecting - my A* turned into a B :mad:
Luckily though, our ICT teacher is contesting to the AQA board for a full remark as he did preliminary marking off all coursework but the moderators nudged it all down quite a bit. I don't think it's too late for a remark, and if you ask for one they are forced to give you one (be aware you will have to pay if your grade doesn't change).

But I don't think ICT is majority important, it's never going to be a deciding factor in anything you do but then again it is always a plus to show your future employer you are computer literate.

It's not the end of the world, but it still sucks.:frown:
Reply 5
My friend went down 6 grades. When you have straight A*s and As, a random D doesn't look too good.
Reply 6
In my school a alternative to ICT was Business Studies I picked that.

With no ICT qualification at all I have managed to set up and run a website with consistently more than 400 hits per day.
On my own, alongside my school work.

Just goes to say how useless it is.
Reply 7
It's not important.

But be fair, how the hell can you get 12/120 for coursework? I mean... how? What?
Did you do nothing for the 2 years?
And you shouldn't just let teachers enter you for foundation and not protest, unless all you wanted was a C.

You're 16. It's time to grow up and do your own work, isn't it?
You're going to find A levels a real challenge if you're relying on your teachers.
I would be surprised if it does. Considering how computer literate youth is nowadays, GCSE ICT doesn't teach you anything you don't already know. I hated it because all we used to do was things like inputting data! Wtf!
Reply 9
AnonyMatt
It's not important.

But be fair, how the hell can you get 12/120 for coursework? I mean... how? What?
Did you do nothing for the 2 years?
And you shouldn't just let teachers enter you for foundation and not protest, unless all you wanted was a C.

You're 16. It's time to grow up and do your own work, isn't it?
You're going to find A levels a real challenge if you're relying on your teachers.

I did everything I needed to do for coursework, I can't work out how I got that mark. Somebody else got a 3, it's crazy. You probably get more than a 3 for writing 'sorry didn't have time to do this' on a bit of paper and giving it in. :/
Reply 10
I did an ICT GCSE this year . . but i don't understand how you can get 12 out of 120. As i swear it was out of 160. Also you got marks for the simplest things like writing in full sentences it seems weird to get a low mark.

Do schools even do an ICT resit?
Worst. Subject. Ever. End of.

Latest