The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
learner_dancer
I didn't understand what the hell he was on about. I'm so glad he's not my personal tutor!

Oh god, that must be so horrible :| Is he any better as a PMT?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 101
Hi !
I've got an interview on 3rd March for JMC...
but I don't have any knowledge in computing at all.
I only do maths in high school (I'm from France).
Do you think it is a problem ?
I am going to work on my personal statement, and to learn the english scientific vocabulary, but I don't know if it will be enough (I've read in your answers that i will be asked some questions about computer scence...)
Thank you, and good luck to everybody =)
Reply 102
Hpaquet
Hi !
I've got an interview on 3rd March for JMC...
but I don't have any knowledge in computing at all.
I only do maths in high school (I'm from France).
Do you think it is a problem ?
I am going to work on my personal statement, and to learn the english scientific vocabulary, but I don't know if it will be enough (I've read in your answers that i will be asked some questions about computer scence...)
Thank you, and good luck to everybody =)

It'll be more than enough. There's no requirement about computing, only maths, so if the interviewer asks you if you have any computing experience and you say no, it will be fine, he'll focus on maths.

For instance, I was only asked to sketch a function and prove one statement I said when sketching the function. And this was for the straight computing course, so don't worry.
Reply 103
Great ! thank you very much =)
Reply 104
Don't do JMC, it will ruin your life (and it will make you hate Maths).
Emc2
Don't do JMC, it will ruin your life (and it will make you hate Maths).

He's just jealous.

I thought this at the beginning. Now I'm extremely glad I'm on JMC, Computing is so god dry right now. I can say that, even without doing Hardware and Databases. Easy or not, they're boring. At this time, maths is is very interesting, and makes far more sense. Never thought I'd hear myself say that :p:
Reply 106
jayshah31
He's just jealous.

I thought this at the beginning. Now I'm extremely glad I'm on JMC, Computing is so god dry right now. I can say that, even without doing Hardware and Databases. Easy or not, they're boring. At this time, maths is is very interesting, and makes far more sense. Never thought I'd hear myself say that :p:

We're no longer doing Hardware, and soon you'll be missing out on Operating Systems and Discrete Maths II. Your loss really - Iain Phillips is an amazing lecturer. (And Databases is really quite good).
Emc2
We're no longer doing Hardware

I hadn't noticed.

Emc2
and soon you'll be missing out on Operating Systems

No, because next year we have an entire module aptly named "Operating Systems".

Emc2
and Discrete Maths II.

Pure > Applied.

Emc2
Your loss really - Iain Phillips is an amazing lecturer

Doesn't matter. Sorenson (M1GLA) was totally brilliant anyway, which makes up for any loss there.

Emc2
(And Databases is really quite good).

No, it isn't. At least, you appear to be the only one would who say this followed by a full stop.

In any case, there's no point arguing, everyone is suited to their course. While I do enjoy computing, the maths is far more interesting at this stage.

The thing to take note of, is the point of these lecturers is so they can teach us the content. Thus far, few have managed this meaning the majority ends up being self-taught, voiding the idea of lectures completely. Not to name modules, but Arch. and RAP are hardly exciting.

To anyone reading this that isn't me or Leo, join the course and make up your own mind, that's the only way you're going to get an unbiased view.
astra649
I have an interview for Computing on 3rd March :smile: This is actually the first I've heard from any unis I've applied to (apart from acknowledgements), so I'm really pleasantly surprised. Just out of curiosity, are there any statistics on how many of those who are interviewed get an offer?

I have an interview for electronic engineering on the same day.
I'm unsure whether I would like Computing better, should i mention this on the day, talk about it to the interviewer etc or will i just look like a noob?
PS I've already applied for mechanical engineering at imperial so my uncertainty will already be known by them :o:
Reply 109
crazedmonkey09
I have an interview for electronic engineering on the same day.
I'm unsure whether I would like Computing better, should i mention this on the day, talk about it to the interviewer etc or will i just look like a noob?
PS I've already applied for mechanical engineering at imperial so my uncertainty will already be known by them :o:

So it seems you don't really care what you study. As long as it is at Imperial.. haha. At least I hope you would have a good response to that after applying to so many courses.

Maybe you have another reason though, for example, all 3 courses have something you like? Uncertainty is not a good thing to take with you into an interview. You're going to be studying one course for the next 3||4 years, you should make sure it is something you are interested in.

In an interview, you should say WHY you think a particular course will be fun for you (so you get an offer/you really should have a reason) and you should ask about the things which differentiate the courses so you yourself can be clear about the choice you would like to make.
98QEHS
... one course for the next 3||4 years, ...

I think you're still in programming mode :p:

Anyway, crazedmonkey09, it's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't demonstrate uncertainty at the interview, however you should make the decision as to whatever feels right.
98QEHS
So it seems you don't really care what you study. As long as it is at Imperial.. haha. At least I hope you would have a good response to that after applying to so many courses.

Maybe you have another reason though, for example, all 3 courses have something you like? Uncertainty is not a good thing to take with you into an interview. You're going to be studying one course for the next 3||4 years, you should make sure it is something you are interested in.

In an interview, you should say WHY you think a particular course will be fun for you (so you get an offer/you really should have a reason) and you should ask about the things which differentiate the courses so you yourself can be clear about the choice you would like to make.

I suppose i should try to get the offer then see how it goes.
I do have many interests and this is what has made my decision so damn hard, I really do wanna go to imperial, at least thats a positive side effect!
What roughly do you guys do in computing as apposed to elec eng? from what i understand computing is mostly coding with theory to optimise processing, whereas eee is much more hardware and physicsy based.
Is it possible to switch onto the computing course a few weeks into the year if i felt it was more my thing? or would they be really annoyed, no places left or whatever
crazedmonkey09

What roughly do you guys do in computing as apposed to elec eng? from what i understand computing is mostly coding with theory to optimise processing, whereas eee is much more hardware and physicsy based.

In our first year, we do three programming languages (well, four if you count assembly), so yeah we do "coding" but we also study loads of other stuff.
Like discrete maths (logic, sets, relations) - which is the most important part of the first year besides programming - as well as classical maths. We also do databases, computer architecture and a bit of hardware.

crazedmonkey09

Is it possible to switch onto the computing course a few weeks into the year if i felt it was more my thing? or would they be really annoyed, no places left or whatever

No, switching courses is definitely not possible sorry. They're two entirely different subjects.

crazedmonkey09

Err, that's not a really good thing to say.:rolleyes:

You see, engineering courses at imperial are quite demanding. You really need to have a strong interest in the course if you want to get on with it and do well. And even if you are interested in it, it's not always rainbows and butterflies.

You shouldn't apply just because "it's Imperial" so anything is better than nothing.
Imo, you have to choose whatever course you like the most; do a bit more research and ask questions to current students.
That's just my 0.02 £ :smile:
jayshah31
... one course for the next 3||4 years, ...

If you didn't point that out I would have never noticed it. :s-smilie:
AccidentProne
Imo, you have to choose whatever course you like the most; do a bit more research and ask questions to current students.
That's just my 0.02 £ :smile:

So do you think I should talk it through with them on the day, is it even possible to switch over to the computing department???
I dunno about other subjects but 3rd march is the last interview day so i couldn't be given another day...
this is tricky, should I email them, this might make it worse though
crazedmonkey09
So do you think I should talk it through with them on the day, is it even possible to switch over to the computing department???
I dunno about other subjects but 3rd march is the last interview day so i couldn't be given another day...
this is tricky, should I email them, this might make it worse though

You didn't apply to computing, didn't you?
I'm afraid that changing from EEE to Computing would be hard (two different courses and two different departments). Especially at this stage of the admissions process.
But if you have doubts about what the course involves then talk to them.
Just out of curiosity, which aspects of computing/EEE do you like the most?? Do have any specific interests within the subjects?
AccidentProne
You didn't apply to computing, didn't you?
I'm afraid that changing from EEE to Computing would be hard (two different courses and two different departments). Especially at this stage of the admissions process.
But if you have doubts about what the course involves then talk to them.
Just out of curiosity, which aspects of computing/EEE do you like the most?? Do have any specific interests within the subjects?

I'm interested in computer hardware and how it works with software, circuits, physics, microprocessors, computer architecture and programming algorithms.

For example, a calculator, I'm interested in how the components actually work together but then also how the algorithms are able to compute an answer which kinda puts me between the 2 subjects, maybe slightly towards EEE.
Reply 117
jayshah31

Anyway, crazedmonkey09, it's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't demonstrate uncertainty at the interview, however you should make the decision as to whatever feels right.

I was going to type "/".. but that might have been confused with 0.75. So I chose something we should all understand :wink:
Reply 118
crazedmonkey09
I do have many interests and this is what has made my decision so damn hard, I really do wanna go to imperial, at least thats a positive side effect!

I hear there is this wonderful course called ISE. It has courses from the EEE dept and also the Computing dept. Perhaps it is too late for you to apply to this (maybe you can ask if you can actually choose this?) but it seems to me that's what you're really looking for.

In DoC, you have a hardware course, architecture, compilers.. but this is still, as you identified, mostly software and theory. The software side can get very low level, but I feel that you more want to be an EEE person.

To give you an idea of what you can do with a Computing degree, I have friends who write compilers for FPGAs (http://www.maxeler.com/) and you can take a look at the pages of the following lecturers:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~phjk/
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~oskar/
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~wl/
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~dfg/ (teaches 1st year Hardware)

Studying in Computing will (we hope) give you a stronger foundation in programming, so will still be important when you need to program how a piece of hardware will work.
98QEHS
I hear there is this wonderful course called ISE. It has courses from the EEE dept and also the Computing dept. Perhaps it is too late for you to apply to this (maybe you can ask if you can actually choose this?) but it seems to me that's what you're really looking for.

In DoC, you have a hardware course, architecture, compilers.. but this is still, as you identified, mostly software and theory. The software side can get very low level, but I feel that you more want to be an EEE person.

To give you an idea of what you can do with a Computing degree, I have friends who write compilers for FPGAs (http://www.maxeler.com/) and you can take a look at the pages of the following lecturers:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~phjk/
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~oskar/
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~wl/
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~dfg/ (teaches 1st year Hardware)

Studying in Computing will (we hope) give you a stronger foundation in programming, so will still be important when you need to program how a piece of hardware will work.

WOW thank you so much for the help, I looked up the course for ISE and it has its charms, I had no idea it existed, but I don't know if it is as well known and respected as EEE or computing

After researching more on the subject I think I would enjoy and be more interested in EEE, so I can go into the interview confident with my choice :biggrin:
Is it true that if you are invited to imperial you are highly likely to get and offer as long as you don't mess it up completely?

Rep will be coming your way to all who helped me :wink: Thanks a lot

Latest

Trending

Trending