The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

lauren_don
Hey, does anyone know anything about Opal 3? Do they have open days or tours? I'm coming from Liverpool on Friday so I was hoping that I would be able to view some accommodation as well as private such as Opal 3. Also, does anyone know if its perceived as a good accommodation to stay at?... Thanks in advance :smile:

Ring Opal 3 direct on 0113 245 0289,

They will tell you its fully booked ignore this, because Leeds Uni have already secured a few floors for Leeds Uni Students. So say you will be applying via Leeds Uni, but would like to view a typical room on this date.

It is a pretty solid accomodation, nice skyscraper with gym on a high floor with some good views and its in the heart of the city centre and close to the Uni, you cannot beat Opal 3 for its price and standard. I mean there is Sky Plaza but its costs a lot more and Broadcasting tower aswell, but these offer top end student accomodation furniture and services.

It is not percieved as a good accomodation yet since its so new, its a gem only this year that it has become super popular, people go for these false reputation of social scene places and get sold on an accomodation that can seem more socialble, effectively there all the bloody same in social activity.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I'm late to all of this since I've got deferred entry and thus am still stressing about accommodation when everyone else is pretty much done. I play piano and would like to be able to carry on playing at uni, and from what I can gather the only accommodation halls with pianos are Devonshire, Lyddon and Ellerslie (lots of other accommodation apparently has music practise rooms but it doesn't say if these have pianos in them?). I've heard quite enough about Devonshire and don't want to start another class war on here, but does anyone know much about Ellerslie or Lyddon? They don't seem very popular and there is very little information about them anywhere :s-smilie:
Is anyone else getting this message :-

"If this page is displaying, then you must have applied on behalf of this student using the University of Leeds Accommodation Services Web Staff Function."

I'm going to study on a postgraduate course if that helps... The problem is that they state that if in fact I am applying for myself and it is a mistake, I should ring them up to sort it out. But hooray, opening times for the phone is long gone and the deadline for accommodation is tomorrow.
wackojacko
Is anyone else getting this message :-

"If this page is displaying, then you must have applied on behalf of this student using the University of Leeds Accommodation Services Web Staff Function."

I'm going to study on a postgraduate course if that helps... The problem is that they state that if in fact I am applying for myself and it is a mistake, I should ring them up to sort it out. But hooray, opening times for the phone is long gone and the deadline for accommodation is tomorrow.

Continue anyway - it's an error message that sometimes comes up and our IT department have had a problem sorting it. If you can't continue, then ring tomorrow anyway.
Reply 384
When are we likely to hear from them?
Thanks, unfortunately now that it is the 1st it has locked me out. So I will ring them at 9 once I get into work I guess.
Reply 386
Just rang up and got boddington SC! Yay
LostHorizons
I'm late to all of this since I've got deferred entry and thus am still stressing about accommodation when everyone else is pretty much done. I play piano and would like to be able to carry on playing at uni, and from what I can gather the only accommodation halls with pianos are Devonshire, Lyddon and Ellerslie (lots of other accommodation apparently has music practise rooms but it doesn't say if these have pianos in them?). I've heard quite enough about Devonshire and don't want to start another class war on here, but does anyone know much about Ellerslie or Lyddon? They don't seem very popular and there is very little information about them anywhere :s-smilie:

Lyddon and Ellerslie on campus, mixture of people close knit group though small accomodations not big demand for them, cause of small social prospects however I would hope you applied for one of the two before the deadline if a Piano is a must.
Moonbeam1991
Lyddon and Ellerslie on campus, mixture of people close knit group though small accomodations not big demand for them, cause of small social prospects however I would hope you applied for one of the two before the deadline if a Piano is a must.

I have deferred entry, so I don't have to apply until next year :smile: it's good that they're undersubscribed though, at least that means I'd be likely to get them!

Also does anyone have any experience of what the catered food is like? I'm vegetarian and can be a tiny bit picky, and I'm worried I might end up with just 1 horrible choice of tea each day :s-smilie:
LostHorizons
I have deferred entry, so I don't have to apply until next year :smile: it's good that they're undersubscribed though, at least that means I'd be likely to get them!

Also does anyone have any experience of what the catered food is like? I'm vegetarian and can be a tiny bit picky, and I'm worried I might end up with just 1 horrible choice of tea each day :s-smilie:

Hmm im not 100% on this but is not the idea of catered on campus accomodation that you eat at the University Refectory? I read somewhere something to do with Charles Morris and Referectory catering...

If it is the refectory then its very good for vegetarians least I think they do few veggie options at each course a day, do remember this is a university full of a variety of people of whom have the same concerns an expectations.

But this is coming from a non vegetarian, so it is probably worthless lol. Though I had the veggie burger it was very well made, they got some kind of crazy french fancy chefs here, who do all sorts of fancier versions of typical food, that are far more tastier.

I prefer the vegie burger to the chicken and beef ones, when I say burger the pattee is hand made on site I think so they put all sorts of nice flavourings in it.

If this is not the case try opt out of catered and buy a refectory card though I would warn you it is kind of pricey and Im never full when I leave refectory.

Come to Leeds a few times meet up with a new friend from on here or something and then investigate further is all I could advise.
Reply 390
My friend lived in Lyddon last year and had a card from the Refectory that gave him about 9 pounds per day. I guess you end up paying for that through rent.

It's a small accommodation but very sociable, there are always big roving groups of them on a night out.
Reply 391
Teveth
When are we likely to hear from them?

Boomp.

Has anyone heard? Or is it too early to expect to hear anything?
Teveth

Has anyone heard? Or is it too early to expect to hear anything?

We'll start sending offers to people with unconditional offers on 13th until 31st. Then for conditional people, it'll be from 23rd August.
If you turn unconditional between 13th and 31st July (IB and BTec) you might be dealt with along with the unconditionals or you may have to wait for the conditionals - it depends when we get your results through.

But everyone stands exactly the same chance - although unconditionals get their offers first, it doesn't mean they get a better chance because we set aside a certain proportion of all the accommodation. Otherwise nobody with a conditional offer would ever get one of the popular places.

Hope that makes sense!
peanutkitkat
Do you have any idea about these special places for drama and music at Devonshire, and what it involves if you get one?

I don't know all the details I'm afraid. You'll be expected to participate in the orchestra/groups or in the drama productions and I'm sure you'll be able to have some input into what happens. You'll have the same choice of accommodation (catered/self catered, ensuite/non ensuite) and you're likely to be living near other music/drama people.

There won't be anyone at Dev over the weekend and obviously the closing date is Sunday at midnight so you may as well apply and then ask questions - if you then find out it's not for you, you can always withdraw. Or try our Devonshire facebook group, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=155223486011
Marie, who is one of the Admins, is continuing as Music President this year so she may be able to give you more details.

Hope this helps - sorry I don't know more.
Reply 394
I've chose Henry price as my accommodation and I've heard it's really over-subscribed? If i don't get in would i be automatically put into an accomodation according to my prefereces or would i get to pick again? Thanks
Reply 395
Bennett21
I've chose Henry price as my accommodation and I've heard it's really over-subscribed? If i don't get in would i be automatically put into an accomodation according to my prefereces or would i get to pick again? Thanks

The bit in bold.
hey guys, sorry to perhaps ask an obvious question but i have been getting so confused what with deadlines/application dates etc and was just wondering when exactly you find out which halls you will be living in? i filled out the application a while ago and have completely lost track about when exactly you should hear back!

any help much appreciated!
DominiqueHolmes
just wondering when exactly you find out which halls you will be living in?

If you scroll up 6 posts, you will see the answer. Let me know if you need more info
peanutkitkat
the online payment site says "student record not found" when I try to get in to pay the deposit

I'm sorry about this - it seems to be happening to quite a few people. We've got our IT department looking at it but in the meantime, you can always ring up and pay with a card over the phone. The numbers are0113 343 7777 or 08701 200 189 and you can ring between 9 and 5.

Sorry again!
LostHorizons

hey i was in lyddon for 2009/2010. i was in an annexe, so not in the main hall where the piano is. my friend used the piano once which is in the main common room, but the tv is also in there with the games console so i'm not too sure how often it was ever played. being in the annexe we only really went over to main hall when we had to get post or had an issue with anything.

Lyddon is the smaller of lyddon and ellerslie, and the social aspect can apparently vary according to the people who are there. ellerslie this year seemed very social, and my group of friends made a lot of friends there towards the end of the year. lyddon seemed awfully more cliquey to me, even in main hall.

Also be prepared to pay almost 5000 to stay in either one of them, being on campus and catered they are very expensive. also take into consideration that the contract is shorter too, so you will have to move completely out of your room before the contract on your house for second year starts 3 weeks later.

food wise, i didn't enjoy it. the fact is i applied for self catered accommodation, so i wasn't ever going to be pleased. you eat in the refectory. you use a meal card which has £9 on weekdays and £5.50 on weekends to spend on food. weekdays you have a breakfast sitting 8-11 and a dinner setting of 2.30pm-6.30pm. This can prove to be annoying if you wake up between 11 and 2.30pm and have no food in, as you do end up quite hungry. at the weekend there is one sitting 10-2.

if like you say later on in the thread, you are a fussy vegetarian this may not be the option for you. my friend was a veggie, and fairly fussy. her diet the whole year round consisted mostly of jacket potatoes with cheese and beans and kitkats. the veggie options can be so hit and miss, as is most of the food there. if i was someone who didn't ear there all the time i probs would'nt find it so bad, but day in day out was awful. but if you are lazy and don't want to bother budgeting food for the first year then maybe it is for you. do remember you do have to feed yourself on weekend evenings. what we mostly did were either takeaways or nipped to the tesco express just outside campus and bought pasta.

if you've got anymore questions about lyddon or other accommodation (i've been to alot of them where my friends are staying) do just let me know! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest