The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by GriffGuitarGuy
I stayed in Henry Price in my first year and I'm living there again in september. It's on campus, the rooms are an ok size, the kitchen's big and it you share with 8 other people. I'd definitely recommend it :smile:

I just wanted to ask about the laundry facilities. Is the cost using the laundry facilities included in the rent? I read in the accommodation guide that the environmentally-friendly wash cycle is the cheapest option. Around how much does it cost for each type of wash?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I've gone for Lupton :smile: Cheap and in the centre of Headingley. Good enough for meee.

Who else has done the same?
Reply 1182
Original post by sallylo
I just wanted to ask about the laundry facilities. Is the cost using the laundry facilities included in the rent? I read in the accommodation guide that the environmentally-friendly wash cycle is the cheapest option. Around how much does it cost for each type of wash?

Laundry costs are not included in the rent, you have to get a top-up card for the machines. I don't know how much the environmentally-friendly wash is, but the regular wash is £2.20 and the dryer is £1.
Reply 1183
Original post by Gemini92
Laundry costs are not included in the rent, you have to get a top-up card for the machines. I don't know how much the environmentally-friendly wash is, but the regular wash is £2.20 and the dryer is £1.

Is the cost the same for all the washing machines in all the accommodation in the University of Leeds? Thanks for replying!
Does anyone know if Clarence Dock is oversubscribed or under-subscribed or neither? What's the chances of me getting it if I put Leeds as my insurance?
Reply 1185
I understand there are catered and self catered accomodation. My question is with regards to the information I mentioned below is that If I chose the 39 weeks catered accommodation does it means that University for the first year has finished? Would the exams be finished before the 15/16 June 2013? I'm slightly worried about this.

It says:
Self catered 42 week contract from 12 September 2012 to 2 July 2013
39 week contract in catered accommodation, it covers the period from either 15/16 September 2012 to 15/16 June 2013.
Hello,

I have been looking hard for a place to stay during my postgraduate studies at the University of Leeds, but I really have no idea what things cost. I am looking to stay within 1,000 pounds per month after utilities and bills, as that would leave me 7,000 pounds to spend on various other things. Is that feasible with a one bedroom flat around the city centre? I have seen places that go for 400 to 500 pounds per month, and I expect food to be around 300 per month, and utilities to be around 100-150 per month. I have no idea if I am on point here. Please help!!

Cheers,
Reply 1187
Original post by sallylo
Is the cost the same for all the washing machines in all the accommodation in the University of Leeds? Thanks for replying!

Yes, I would assume the cost is the same since all the machines are run by the same company.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1188
Original post by BeccaCath94
Yeah exactly but i didnt really like it :/ sadly :/ The hill is a killer too!! :P

the hill of doom haha
Reply 1189
Original post by laloca
can anyone help me between Henry Price or Oxley?

I had the same issue deciding between these two. I ended up choosing Oxley though due to it the surrounding area (which I thought was really pretty), the fact it was ensuite and the rooms were generally just a bit nicer :')
I thought the distance would be a problem, but my course doesn't have many lecture hours a week, so I think it'll be okay :smile:
I'm going to get a bus pass though :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1190
Original post by Jess94
I had the same issue deciding between these two. I ended up choosing Oxley though due to it the surrounding area (which I thought was really pretty), the fact it was ensuite and the rooms were generally just a bit nicer :')
I thought the distance would be a problem, but my course doesn't have many lecture hours a week, so I think it'll be okay :smile:
I'm going to get a bus pass though :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

So it says in the accommodation guide that for Oxleys Residences the:
Short bus ride/25 minute walk from Headingley (large student area)
Frequent bus service to and from campus and the city centre

But I want to know is Headlingley near the university and in terms of walking distance how many minutes is it to and from the university and how many minutes is it to and from the city centre?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by sallylo
Would the exams be finished before the 15/16 June 2013? .

Yes - that date is the official end of term. Exams are usually over a couple of weeks before that.
Are you coming from another country? You seem to be massively overbudgeting - spending £400-500 for a one-bed flat seems about right. I find that food for one person comes to £80-100 a month. Utilities will depend on your supplier, the size of your house, and how careful you are with how much you leave the heating on etc. Other costs will very much depend on your lifestyle, but £7000 is a fairly average budget for a single student, including all rent & bills, although most will supplement that with a bit of holiday work.
Original post by Messara2
the hill of doom haha

Haha :tongue:
I was worried what it'd be like if it was icy....nightmare!
Reply 1194
If you're a student in leeds get in touch with me, I need someone to take over my tenancy of a large double room in a very nice semi-detached house. Rent is £64 per week which is a bargain considering how nice the house is!

It's very close to links with both university campuses

Drop me a message if you're interested, thanks, Luke
Reply 1195
Original post by GriffGuitarGuy
I stayed in Henry Price in my first year and I'm living there again in september. It's on campus, the rooms are an ok size, the kitchen's big and it you share with 8 other people. I'd definitely recommend it :smile:

Is it true that there is a possibility that in your bedroom that you will overlook a graveyard?
Reply 1196
Original post by Jessica9207
Yeah, im a second year in september so got mine a while ago. Have you got to wait until results day?

Apparently there is a possibility that your bedroom overlooks a graveyard. Is this true?
Just out of curiosity, how do you go about moving into your accomodation. Are you given a set date/time as to when to move in? What is the official moving in date? And when does freshers start? :smile:
Original post by sallylo
Is it true that there is a possibility that in your bedroom that you will overlook a graveyard?

Only if you're in a very specific part of the block. And even then, it's not much of a graveyard, it's just a few headstones in St George's Park. My room is on the side that overlooks that St. George's Park, and not only can I not see the headstones, I have a beautiful view of the park and also the Parkinson building clocktower :smile:

Here's a photo of them if you're bothered:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/51397344?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

They're even amongst trees. As you can see on the Panoramio location map, it's at one end of the building and doesn't extend all the way to the other end.
Original post by *QueenBeee
Just out of curiosity, how do you go about moving into your accomodation. Are you given a set date/time as to when to move in? What is the official moving in date? And when does freshers start? :smile:

If I remember correctly, you tell the Uni what date you will be arriving then when you arrive you go to the residency office to collect your key and stuff. They usually have helpers to carry your stuff too.

Fresher's week starts on September 17th with I believe contracts starting the end of the previous week. Most people arrive on the weekend before Fresher's.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest