The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Good looks, that's about it isn't it?
Reply 2
Ah you're funny. Lol
Reply 3
Know how to give a blowjob and the correct angle to bend over a desk? I apologise, that wasn't helpful at all - you also need a pair of lacey black stockings.
IT skills? Communcation skills? erm...
Reply 5
If it helps, I got a C in IT, a C in english, and have been working on customer services for the past 2 years.
Reply 6
The skill/qualification of having previously worked as a receptionist/secretary.
Roxannabelle
If it helps, I got a C in IT, a C in english, and have been working on customer services for the past 2 years.

Just apply for a job, you don't really need major major skills :smile:
Some places ask for a HNC in an Adminstration related subject.
Reply 9
As a receptionist it's more about "people skills", being friendly and supportive, confident and determined, knowing how to behave on the phone as well as in person when dealing with customers/clients/whatever, ...

As a secretary it's more related to actual office work. For proper secretary positions you have to be able to touch-type relatively fast (the minimum level in Germany was/is supposed to be 180 keys per minute, I believe, but you're expected to hit at least 300), know the basics about office software, know how to handle electronic stuff around you, make good coffee, be nice to your boss... :smile:

But as Profesh said, for the more senior/responsible positions you basically need just one thing: work experience.
aim high, aim high

well you probably need to have a working face
Reply 11
I'm currently temping as a mecretary(medical). Working through an agency and just had to take a copy/audio typing test and medical spelling test. Oh yeah and ya need to be ok at word and excel.
I work in an office admin role, between the four of us we have a degrees from the uni of Birmingham, Leeds and Nottingham and one has A levels.You have experience , this is your most useful asset and take some basic IT qualifications. You do need very good communication skills. The whole team work thing is true to.

I must admit sexy secretary stereotypes aside there is quite a bit of flirting in offices. I'm hoping to go back to uni to re train next year and I will really miss my workmates, I have been lucky they are brilliant.
Most admin jobs require you have an IT qualification, usually RSA Grade II.
You will need to be organised, have good communication skills and be able to work quickly and efficiently, as well as multi-tasking and prioritising work appropriately :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending