The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jayshah31
Put it this way, I think I can see a flaw in your plan. However, I won't bother pointing it out, but as long as you feel you have the confidence, go for it. I moderated myself and all was good.

You are assuming you're only using 1 device, yes that's true with one, but I had a desktop + netbook which could push a fair bit simultaneously (remember, its a 100Mbps throttle per port and not for everyone to share). Even at peak times it never slowed.

what is the flaw? im just curious how an encrypted connection from both ends can be read by a 3rd party.

also, when you say 100mbps per port, do you mean there is more than one port per room?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Tony2DaMax
what is the flaw? im just curious how an encrypted connection from both ends can be read by a 3rd party.

also, when you say 100mbps per port, do you mean there is more than one port per room?

I'm not talking about the fact SSL can be read (using pure brute force or whatever), I'm talking more about the protocol itself - it gives away more than you might think. Use wireshark and you may see what I'm talking about.

Depends if you want a phone or not :p: There are 2 x 100Mbps ethernet per single room (one is used for the phone) and 4 in a twin room. There's also some in the kitchen.
so can you really get 100mbps download speeds? Say i downloaded a 720p 4gb film off MegaUpload, it would like like 40secs?? it's actually that fast?
Reply 23
sasjegbruv123
so can you really get 100mbps download speeds? Say i downloaded a 720p 4gb film off MegaUpload, it would like like 40secs?? it's actually that fast?

That's 100megaBITS per second, so 12.5megaBYTES per second. It would take 320seconds, theoretically.
sasjegbruv123

What Tony said.

When I dl'd from MU I got a max. of 16mbps, so don't expect to be downloading stuff that quickly in general unless the remote server is in the UK (London, really). Downloads via iPlayer will give you the max. push available of 11-12MB/s because it uses P2P.
easyindeed
Internet at Imperial is like prehistoric - feels like a dial-up connection - so hard luck if you were planning on playing any online games or downloading any pr0n.

I'm pretty sure there is a download limit but the internet is so slow that no-one has ever reached it!

I don't think you've live in the Halls of Residences at all... I regularly get around 5MB per second, with accelerators easily go up to 10Meg, so 1 GIG of a Movie would be done in less than 5 minutes.

The cap is 5Gig a day, which includes both ups and downs so you gotta watch both. I usually just set a 4gig limit for myself and the remainder could be for youtube for example.
sasjegbruv123

Well, no its not THAT Insane, that is a bit of an exaggeration, I regularly use mega manager and that's an accelerator in some way, opening 4 downloads parrallel sums up to around 10 MegaBytes per second, so the 4 gig would be done before you finish your shower
TheIsingGuy
Well, no its not THAT Insane, that is a bit of an exaggeration, I regularly use mega manager and that's an accelerator in some way, opening 4 downloads parrallel sums up to around 10 MegaBytes per second, so the 4 gig would be done before you finish your shower

whoa that's fast.... btw how much roughly can you download like movies and such from things like rapidshare and MU before they think you're "suspicious":confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending