The Student Room Group

The National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth

Is anyone a member of NAGTY and would you be able to tell me more about it? I know that some people in my school are part of the NAGTY and were made members in year 11. I don't know why I wasn't chosen but I haven't really thought much of it until recently. Do you think I should bother asking the teacher in charge about whether I can join? What is it all about and is it useful? I got 11A*s and 2As for my gcses so I think should be eligible.

Scroll to see replies

I'm a member.
At the start of year 12 I was sent a letter from my school so I was like 'yeh ok'.
Erm, they send you this magazine every so often, and you can go on summer schools etc. It looks good on UCAS personal statements too!
Reply 2
I got a letter about it the other day. (They only just set up a 'branch' or whatever over here). I'm going to have a look at what it is exactly as they're having a presentation or something. Dunno if I'll join.
Reply 3
Yeah, I was sent a letter before my GCSE results...*shrug* God knows why.
My school has sent letters to a load of sixth formers, saying it will 'look good on UCAS' ....I have been a member of NAGTY for about 18 months now and am to become a SouthWest student councillor for this year...There are plenty of outreach events/summer school for kids in year 7-11, and there has been an initiative to improve sixth form provision in terms of outreach events...there is a quarterly newsletter and also a NAGTY forums section, along with online study groups in things like astronomy and English
Reply 5
Your School gets extra funding for you, you should have text books all to yourself no sharing with other people (if they are in short supply). That's what I seem to remember the most, sorry but it's been afew years ago now. You are in the top !0% of the Country!
Sounds like a load of pretentious rubbish to me. Surely bright people ought to be integrated into society rather than painstakingly take measures to exclude themselves from it.
Reply 7
what sort of grades do you need to get considered for this? Are we talking 16 A*s sort of thing or something a bit more manageable?
Reply 8
No-one in my school was apart of it even though someone got 8A*s and 2 As (2 As were Double Applied ICT taken in 1 year, 2 lessons a week with a terrible teacher) Though we had our own Gifted & Talented group which was at first approx the top 5% of the school before it was expanded to the top 15%. The 2 NAGTY people I know got 13.5A*s (plus he went to ISEF in April) and 9A*s, 1A but if what medic_rules ws trying to say was "top 10% of the country" then half A*s and half As would probably be the minimum
i dont think u need tht gr8 grades to get in, i mean look at mine! i was made a member in yr9/10 so a while ago, but ive never gone on any of the residentials or nething, my friends have tho. they sed it was a good experience, but i only applied to put it on my resume.
What a coincedence...I found my application form this morning - I am going to talk to the 'Gifted and Talented Co-ordiantor' (co-ordinate what?) tomorrow.
I have not yet done my GCSEs, so how can I become a member? On the entry criteria, it mentioned achieving higher levels in SATS (beyond 5 in KS2, 7 in KS3) but I didn't get the opportunity to take any higher papers. Also, my school is awful at this sort of thing, so I'm worried that they will hold me back - they'll probably lose the form.
Do you really get extra text books? :biggrin:
I've never heard of this before...I got Levels 5/5/6 in my KS2 Sats and Levels 7/7/8 in my KS3, and my GCSE results are as below (but I did nearly get 2 more A*s if I'd have gotten another 2 marks in Maths and Biology!)...would I get in???
O rite, yeh I could get in if my school bothered with it LOL

If you do a google search and get the website up for NAGTY it tells you what the requirements are.

From what I remember you need ONE of the follwoing (there's whole load of others there too these are just the ones I remember):

- 58 points from your top 8 GCSES (that's 8 points for an A*, 7 for an A, 6 for a B etc). (That's me!)

- Level 8 in Maths KS3 SATS or teacher assessed level 8 in another subject. (That's me - I got level 8 in Maths and teacher assessed L.8 in Science!)

- Gold Certificate in the UK Maths Challange

- Merit or Distinction (I think) in World CLass Tests (Can't remember much about this)

- A score of 126 in CAT (cognitive ability tests)

And loads more I can't remember...but you just need to have one of them :smile:

MissSurfer

PS Sorry if this has already been said...I havent read all the posts!
Reply 13
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Yeah thanks Miss Surfer for posting the requirements. I checked out the website: http://www.nagty.ac.uk/
I'm eligible and I think I might as well ask about it since it could look good on application forms to uni and stuff like that.
Reply 14
This society is full of bull, merit does not equal intelligence. Pretentious wankstains. Your grades can so easily be jeopardised by external distractions and incompetence. Still, at least im thankful I don't have refridgerator parents. An almighty number of intelligent people won't have their genius recognised if this snobbery continues.
Reply 15
Jeremy
This society is full of bull, merit does not equal intelligence. Pretentious wankstains. Your grades can so easily be jeopardised by external distractions and incompetence. Still, at least im thankful I don't have refridgerator parents. An almighty number of intelligent people won't have their genius recognised if this snobbery continues.

That's probably why the society means very little in terms of university applications, job prospects etc. If they want to see evidence of talent, they'll look for the exam results. In the end, it all just seems like a bit of well-meaning fun.
Reply 16
Jeremy

Well thats your opinion but I would like part of nagty. I think I could (possibly) get in with 7A*'s m 5A's. It may be over hyped and not all that it is cracked up to be but in least it may give me somthing to do over the summer, but more importantly its another space filled on the ucas form.
Reply 17
Yep. You can now tick the "I joined a society demanding good GCSE grades so I can demonstrate that I have good GCSE grades" box. Just so you know, any university that isn't significantly impressed by your GCSEs will not be impressed any more by joining a society where academic performance is the only thing taken into account.

If you read the post further up the thread you will find that you do qualify btw
Reply 18
shyopstv
Yep. You can now tick the "I joined a society demanding good GCSE grades so I can demonstrate that I have good GCSE grades" box. Just so you know, any university that isn't significantly impressed by your GCSEs will not be impressed any more by joining a society where academic performance is the only thing taken into account.

If you read the post further up the thread you will find that you do qualify btw

The reason i say possibly, becuase even if you have met the criteria I read on the website that its the school that selects the top 5% of pupils. So if you are in a good school, your marks might not be quite good enough.

But anyway, it seems the credibility of nagty has seemed to have taken a bit of a bashing. Nevertheless I'm would be happy to join the "society demanding good GCSE grades"
Reply 19
I read on the website that its the school that selects the top 5% of pupils

Well, not true.
The school has the responsibility to put forward those students it sees fit. But, tbh, NAGTY's admission criteria are a bit low (now) and at least 99% of all of those put forward by school's are accepted. 5% isn't even that high a figure (not compared to MENSA, or the band you'd need to be in to get in a top Uni) when you're looking at an organisation that has the scope of providing for every single top 5% student in the country (hundred thousand? At least).

any university that isn't significantly impressed by your GCSEs will not be impressed any more by joining a society where academic performance is the only thing taken into account.

No, but NAGTY is currently trying to develop an "achievement" portfolio, which *will* be accepted by Unis, employers and UCAS etc. This will detail all of the academic activites that you do whilst a member of NAGTY; these aren't just good for your CV (or personal statement) but are genuinely interesting and help with lessons.

I think I could (possibly) get in with 7A*'s m 5A's

Definitely.

The purpose of NAGTY isn't to give some extra box to fill on a form. It wants to engage, encourage and extend all students who may not be reaching their full potential because their schools SEN stuff isn't catering for them. This is in the form of activities, seminars, hands-on 'lessons' (for want of a better word), summer schools, online academic groups, social forums (though these aren't the best atm, the debates are interesting). Most importantly, it's a social network where (statistically) you're more likely to meet a 'like minded person'.

Ok, enough of the advertising drive :wink:. I'm not saying that it's without its faults (I complain about NAGTY, and know some of its faults, more than most people) but the potential benefits it provides to its members (provided they take on some of the things) are huge, notable, and fully interesting.

Latest

Trending

Trending