The Student Room Group

calling in sick to work. Advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tinktinktinkerbell
they are going to sack you for being a lazy ****

i actually hope you do get sacked

whatever. I'm so not lazy. ive worked 45+ hours a week for 6 weeks at this job when i only wanted a part time job, but they're understaffed so convinced me to work much more. I have to wake up at 5 am most days and worked extra days to cover for other employees when theyve called in sick without complaining. I never ever get to go out or do anything social because of the stupid hours i have to work. It's so depressing. Also i only ever get rubbish days off like monday or tuesday. I think i deserve a night out for once. Incidentally the worry of calling in sick has actually made me feel rather sick
Reply 21
Gemma :)!
Make sure you don't have anybody who will grass you up when the photos appear on facebook.

i dont think thatll be a problem, i dont have anyone i work with on facebook
climbthewall
whatever. I'm so not lazy. ive worked 45+ hours a week for 6 weeks at this job when i only wanted a part time job, but they're understaffed so convinced me to work much more. I have to wake up at 5 am most days and worked extra days to cover for other employees when theyve called in sick without complaining. I never ever get to go out or do anything social because of the stupid hours i have to work. It's so depressing. Also i only ever get rubbish days off like monday or tuesday. I think i deserve a night out for once. Incidentally the worry of calling in sick has actually made me feel rather sick

oh boo ******* hoo, welcome to the real world, you took the job so its your own fault

tough ****, if you are that bothered, get a 9-5 monday - friday job

good, i hope it makes you so sick you cant go out and i actually hope you do get sick for real and have to call in and they tell you where to go, just because you cover for other people and work more hours than you're contracted for doesnt mean you can take the piss
Reply 23
tinktinktinkerbell
oh boo ******* hoo, welcome to the real world, you took the job so its your own fault

good, i hope it makes you so sick you cant go out and i actually hope you do get sick for real and have to call in and they tell you where to go, just because you cover for other people and work more hours than you're contracted for doesnt mean you can take the piss

alright thanks mum
Reply 24
Pains in your stomach and throwing up are the best excuses for the off day off. You can put them down to food poisoning or a tummy bug.
tinktinktinkerbell
they are going to sack you for being a lazy ****

i actually hope you do get sacked

Then she can be unemployed and useless just like you. :smile:
Bubbles*de*Milo
Then she can be unemployed and useless just like you. :smile:

least im not a faker :smile:
Reply 27
tinktinktinkerbell

Wow, I was about to say more or less the same thing. I work my ass off in two jobs to pay my bills, and if I want to get hammered on a night out I have to book the next day off as holiday. If you wanted to go out after your late shift, why couldn't you? What's to stop you throwing your going out clothes in a bag and putting them on after your shift?

If you start flaking out on your employer on a regular basis it'll come back to bite you on the ass, especially when you're trying to get a new job and you have to declare how many days sickness you've had in the last year. I used to have "migraines" all the time, and when I was asked why I hadn't been to a doctor about it, I couldn't really come up with an excuse. If you have "food poisoning" all the time, they might suggest you go home and clean the **** outta your kitchen before you come back.
Teao the Cat
Just be careful no one from work could see you out on the thursday!!!

I totally agree with this. A lad where i work phoned in sick one night but was then seen going out that night. It didnt really help his case though that some of the people he went out with that night were people from work. And he got grassed up.
But other than that id say phone up in the morning. You could use your dizzy spell as an excuse.
sallycow
Wow, I was about to say more or less the same thing. I work my ass off in two jobs to pay my bills, and if I want to get hammered on a night out I have to book the next day off as holiday. If you wanted to go out after your late shift, why couldn't you? What's to stop you throwing your going out clothes in a bag and putting them on after your shift?

If you start flaking out on your employer on a regular basis it'll come back to bite you on the ass, especially when you're trying to get a new job and you have to declare how many days sickness you've had in the last year. I used to have "migraines" all the time, and when I was asked why I hadn't been to a doctor about it, I couldn't really come up with an excuse. If you have "food poisoning" all the time, they might suggest you go home and clean the **** outta your kitchen before you come back.

exactly sally

i know im unemployed atm but when i have worked ive never once taken the day off sick when i havnt been sick (and never once for a hangover)

but it annoys me because when i was genuinely sick and called in i used to get hassle because of lying little lazy ***** like her calling in sick just cause she wants to go out on the piss, she should grow up
Reply 30
YAY got the day off :smile:
climbthewall
x

First of all, don't say your sick! Say you have a sprained ankle, caused by a football injury or a slip, but don't go into too much detail.

The great thing is, you don't have to put on some faux sick voice or erupt into fits of coughing, so the plan's water-tight.

Say you have to rest the ankle for 24 hours and that walking is very painful, but you should be able to make into work tomorrow.

Also, make sure not to get spotted on the night out!
(edited 13 years ago)
tinktinktinkerbell

You'd swear you employed the OP!

Have you some kind of invested interest in the OP's employent?

If she wants to phone in sick to get a day off, that's her choice. As long as no one spots her, she will be fine.
It seems a bit risky... If you're actually ill then fair enough but if you're not and you want to go out then I wouldn't recommend it. Do you want to keep the job?
Don't be such a shitty person. They are relying on you. Work is more important than a night out. You are the reason why people get scrutinised for calling in sick when they are sick! Grow up get a grip and tell the truth, I'm sure boss is more than reasonable and had you given him/her notice they would have let you have it off.
I've had to call in sick before, it's better to phone in, they tend not to take a text as an actual means of letting them know you wont be in -happened to me and they put it down as a no show so i got a written warning, eeek- but it's not too bad, they'll question it a little bit if they're like my managers but other than that you should be okay c':
Say you have diarrhea and sickness, probably from food poisoning

You wont have to sound sick on the phone, and im PRETTY sure that if you are dealing with food you MUST be given atleast 48 hours off work for health and safety reasons
Reply 37
Original post by Teao the Cat
Just be careful no one from work could see you out on the thursday!!!

This happened to me I almost passed out seeing my manager in the club, possibly most awkward experience of my life.. The chances were slim of bumping into him as he hates clubbing bur he randomly went out that night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending