The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable to leave my job in this way?

Basically, we have a weekly rota at work- and the procedure for resignation is that you just need to let them know you're leaving by the time they put you on next weeks rota.

My next opportunity to hand in my rota would be on my next shift on Wednesday, but the rota is completed on Tuesday. Do you think I'll be okay phoning them up and chatting to a manager and just alert them that I'm leaving so I don't get put on the rota, or will there be problems as this isn't in writing. Will it look disrespectful to future employers?

I'm planning to bring it my letter of resignation on my Wednesday shift anyway. They were ****ty to work for, so I don't really care about all of the pleasantries of it and if it annoys them- but would this be acceptable on paper and not result in a bad reference?
Reply 1
Why don't you go in and hand it in on Tuesday?
Reply 2
I'm a bit leery of burning bridges, even if they were asterisky to work for. Just hand in your letter ASAP and grit your teeth for the rest of your time there.
You may as well give ringing up first a go, but if they say it has to be in writing and handed in on the Tuesday, then why not either go in and hand it in on the Tuesday, or just hand it in later and work another few days than you had planned - no hardship surely.
Reply 4
I think it would be fine, as long as you explain pleasantly that you dont want to put on next weeks rota and arnt a **** about it then I cant see many employers kicking up a fuss.
If you do it by the book then they might be willing to give you a good reference for a future job.
Reply 6
Original post by lechaton-x
Basically, we have a weekly rota at work- and the procedure for resignation is that you just need to let them know you're leaving by the time they put you on next weeks rota.

My next opportunity to hand in my rota would be on my next shift on Wednesday, but the rota is completed on Tuesday. Do you think I'll be okay phoning them up and chatting to a manager and just alert them that I'm leaving so I don't get put on the rota, or will there be problems as this isn't in writing. Will it look disrespectful to future employers?

I'm planning to bring it my letter of resignation on my Wednesday shift anyway. They were ****ty to work for, so I don't really care about all of the pleasantries of it and if it annoys them- but would this be acceptable on paper and not result in a bad reference?

''Is it acceptable to leave my job in this way?''

Of course. You're giving them verbal notice which will be followed up by written notice. It wouldn't look disrespectful AT ALL and also, they have to give you a good reference, they cannot write anything bad about you, i actually think it's against the law for them to do so.

Trust me, you'll be fine. :biggrin:
sounds a-okay to me
Original post by smc2010
they have to give you a good reference, they cannot write anything bad about you, i actually think it's against the law for them to do so.

This is complete rubbish. A referee can write or say anything providing it is not malicious or libellous and can be justified by the evidence. I say this as an employer who has given both good and bad references to later prospective employers of past employees. In fact, the referee has a duty of care to the person asking for the reference.
Reply 9
Ive also given bad references for staff. I did one a few months ago actually, the lady hasnt worked since but thats not my fault, she was off sick constantly, late for work nearly every day then left as she pleased, never worked the hours per week she was supposed to,frequently did not turn up for pre-arranged meetings and took annual leave as and when she wanted without even checking first. Her behaviour was so bad that I was hardly going to lie.

You can say pretty much what you want, aslong as it is the truth.

OP - you will be fine, if you've already decided to leave then hand in your notice asap to get it over with, then you wont need to worry about it anymore :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending