The Student Room Group

Did your parents go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
My dad has a law degree out in Ethiopia and then some post grad law stuff he did in London. My mumm Did Ba in anthropolgy at Soas and an Ma in the sociology of health or something like that, all of my immediate family and most of my extended apart from my grandma, but how many girls did in the early 40's? she went into the ladies air force it being wartime. so basically in my family not going to uni would be like not going to school.
and i'm doing anthropolgy too which i guess mean yes i was definetly influenced by my family
My mum went to Law school when she was about 30, and my dad only just got his degree in Music.
My stepdad didn't even go to college, let alone uni, but he is smart as hell.
Nope, they both started working at 16 and I'll have a Master's degree in 1.5 years which makes me happy :biggrin:
Reply 63
Yeah everyone in my family has been to uni apart from mummy my dad did both his masters and PHD in sheffield in economics, my bro did business managment and sis did events management and I wanna do film studies :biggrin:
Reply 64
It seems as though the participants of this thread disprove the 'theory'...

Neither of my parents went to uni. Although my dad is a Chartered Accountant when he trained wasn't a uni thing, it was some kind of special training fellowship thing - I guess like a technical college? My mum is a qualified Marine Biologist (but doesn't work in the field anymore) but undertook something more akin to an apprenticeship.

Both my sister and I have BAs (with Honours which in Australia is an extra year and another qualification on top of your pass degree - so slighly different to here). I also have an MA and she is just finishing her MA now and I am doing a PhD.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
no my parents are failures
Reply 66
Original post by danny111
Really surprised how few had parents' at uni.

all the rich parents have less children so their family gets richer as the generations go by as people are getting bigger inheritences but the poorer families family gets bigger as generations go by but they don't get richer and over time you get what we have now the top 5% owning 90% of everything
Reply 67
yep, both went to cambridge.
so, me being the eldest child, every one is a bit disappointed I'm not applying to oxbridge :rolleyes:
Yes, but as a mature student.
I was the first person in my family ever to go to university even out of my cousins etc. Nobody else has gone yet apart from me.
Reply 70
Yep. I think I was conceived at the University of Birmingham. There's a nice thought.
Yes, my dad is a Professor but my mum didn't study further after graduating. Me not going to university was never even thought of, in fact even my course was chosen for me :rolleyes:
Nope
Dad went to Nottingham, mum didn't go to uni, reckson she's too dumb...she claims she got As at A level but I dont believe her :wink:
Mom didn't. She's a nurse and is almost at the highest level you can go. She refuses to be promoted since she would be management and have very little patient interaction

Dad didn't either. He was tipped for an Oxbridge scholarship but decided to play poker all the time in college and never finished his A Levels. He's got a bloody good job in retail that he's worked hard for.

Mom's boyfriend didn't and Dad's girlfriend didn't either. Mom's boyfriend's son is in his final year at Nottingham Trent doing Maths. I've got a second cousin at York, another one at Manchester and another one at Brighton.

Technically I'm the first in the immediate family to go :smile: My sister wants to go too but she's only just turned 14 so she'll probably change her mind multiple times before then xD
My dad went - somewhere - and did - something- (I have a bad memory) and my mum went to Brown. They met at London Business School when she was a two month exchange student from the States, when her visa ran out he proposed and she moved to London :O
And just twenty odd years later... they can't talk for more than five minutes. Oh well, life goes on.

Oh and more relevantly, its always been pretty much a given that me and my older brother were going to go to uni, but they made sure we knew there was the option not to.
Reply 76
Yes, both and my Dad has a Master's. So I've had the idea of going to university since I was a kid!
My parents both went to Bristol, it's where they met :h:
No. I am at uni, and my mum is in her final year of college now and is currently going through this years UCAS-cycle :biggrin:
I'm really surprised at how many people parents didn't go to uni.

My mum and dad - and all my grandparents went to uni. D;
My mam has 4 degrees - chemical engineering, business managment, psychology and international relations&politics.

My stepdad was also at uni - and he's like 60 now. He always goes on about how unusual it was in his day for people to even go to college...

Weird. ;/
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending