The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hogso
I have just about 60 hours on my PS3 save, and since the last patch the frame rate issue has been fine, and it's crashed on me 3 times in that entire time. It's it more of an issue with older PS3's or something?

I've got a slim and at times the game is unplayable.
Original post by Hanvyj
"look into the coding of the game" lol yeah...

They didn't need a completely new engine, making a 100% new engine would be a stupid idea. Why change the physics? Its clearly good (take a look at the cheese video lol). All I can see is all round improvements.

Do you think (random example) the Frostbite 2 engine replaced every single part of the Frostbite 1.5 engine? No, that would take them years to develop and would be a big waste of time...

Do some background reading before posting.

They clearly lied and carried on to mod a poor engine.
The difference with FB, the UT engines, and the Source Engine, is that they were designed to be stripped, rebuilt, and constantly added to. The Gamebryo clearly was not as it has just become more unstable. The fact that it still only uses 2 threads and 1 GB of memory is somewhat of a testament to this.
Also, the physics is powered by Havok just like in Oblivion so has nothing to do with Bethesda. Also, if you look at the list of animation powered by Havok, I do wonder what Beth spent their time on? :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jimbo1234
Erm, modders and everyone else who looks into the coding of the game (along with the graphics rendering and hardware utilisation) would say no, no it isn't.
But I guess when the full mod kit is released in January we will have a definite answer.

Prove it :smile:
Original post by Tommyjw
Prove it :smile:

Not sure what the debate is, but I have a fair bit of modding experience and would be willing to assist in investigating when I get access to the code :P
Original post by AugustWestie
The state of the game on PS3 is actually disgraceful. Thankfully they're looking into it according to this: http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/

Also on their blog ( http://www.bethblog.com/ ) it says they'll be fixing the magic resistance and backward-flying dragons very soon. Broken quests apparently aren't currently a priority of theirs...

The PS3 lag problems are unlikely to ever be fully fixed.

http://www.gamersmint.com/ps3-skyrim-lag-problems-unlikely-to-be-solved-dev-comments
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

The videos in the second link are appalling, can't believe they would release a game in that state.

On the PC upside, got my 4gb Skyrim up and running, everything at max and managing to keep it at around 80 fps and got a sweet mod for ebony armor which makes it look 100x better :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 3986
Original post by Tommyjw
I get bored of you saying a new engine, because it is. So just shh. There is no 'lulz wut derp de derp it's not!' . It just is. Fact.

I think it's fairly obvious it's not really a new engine. I'm sure there are significant differences from Oblivion's, but it's clearly not completely new. One give away is how all the data is packaged up in esm files. They're probably not the exact same format as before, but they're probably quite similar. It indicates the architecture of the engine is similar at least.

There's no way to tell for sure how similar it is without seeing the source code which none of use probably will (that said, are Bethesda hiring?:biggrin:). But if they have rewritten everything from scratch (which is a pretty pointless thing to do), it looks like they've designed it to work in a similar way.
Reply 3987
Original post by Psyk
I think it's fairly obvious it's not really a new engine. I'm sure there are significant differences from Oblivion's, but it's clearly not completely new. One give away is how all the data is packaged up in esm files. They're probably not the exact same format as before, but they're probably quite similar. It indicates the architecture of the engine is similar at least.

There's no way to tell for sure how similar it is without seeing the source code which none of use probably will (that said, are Bethesda hiring?:biggrin:). But if they have rewritten everything from scratch (which is a pretty pointless thing to do), it looks like they've designed it to work in a similar way.

Well before they were using the proprietary Gamebryo engine, and now they are not. Thus the engine itself is completely different, because they can't copy bits from that: it would have been illegal for them to do so!

The bits on top of that though, the .esm files and so forth are always what they have developed in-house. It's just a storage file, it has nothing to do with the engine really. The new bugs are aaaaall of their own making, and not to be blamed on the old engine.
Original post by Aust1n

Cheese Rolling anybody?:biggrin:

I find that strangely hypnotic to watch.
Reply 3989
Do some background reading before posting.

They clearly lied and carried on to mod a poor engine.
The difference with FB, the UT engines, and the Source Engine, is that they were designed to be stripped, rebuilt, and constantly added to. The Gamebryo clearly was not as it has just become more unstable. The fact that it still only uses 2 threads and 1 GB of memory is somewhat of a testament to this.
Also, the physics is powered by Havok just like in Oblivion so has nothing to do with Bethesda. Also, if you look at the list of animation powered by Havok, I do wonder what Beth spent their time on? :confused:

I can't read that because I am at work lol.

If you ever did any level editing for HL1 and HL2 you would notice huge similarities between the way things work, yet the source engine is definatley a new engine! That it uses 2 threads, and 1Gb doesn't mean anything, the fact that you can change the properties of the exe to increase it to 4gb prove this... The "esm" file extention means nothing! So they chose the same three letters as last time..? Wow, they must have used the same engine! I'll point out the Hl1 and Hl2 engines again, they used much the same file extensions, (take a look at the files for compiling levels, they were very similar for both).

As someone above said, there is no way you can tell how new the engine is unless you take a look at the source code. Which no on is going to do. You can't tell by looking at exe properties, esm files etc. If it was built by the same people its going to be similar design etc than before.

When the level editor comes out you are going to squeal because it will look similar to the old one. Well duh, they are going to make it similar everyone who works there knows how to use it. Huh, same as HL

Also, as someone said, wouldn't it be a massive risk for Bethesda to basically steal a game engine? Unless they have some secret deal with Gamebryo. If anyone found out they would be sued millions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

Have you noticed someone has edited the Gamebryo wikipedia page and added Skyrim? lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3990
Original post by Einheri
I find that strangely hypnotic to watch.

The music really brings it all together as well.:colondollar:

Lol @ PS3 only owners! That's why I leave PS3 for exclusives/casual gaming.
Original post by Hanvyj
I can't read that because I am at work lol.

If you ever did any level editing for HL1 and HL2 you would notice huge similarities between the way things work, yet the source engine is definatley a new engine! That it uses 2 threads, and 1Gb doesn't mean anything, the fact that you can change the properties of the exe to increase it to 4gb prove this... The "esm" file extention means nothing! So they chose the same three letters as last time..? Wow, they must have used the same engine! I'll point out the Hl1 and Hl2 engines again, they used much the same file extensions, (take a look at the files for compiling levels, they were very similar for both).

As someone above said, there is no way you can tell how new the engine is unless you take a look at the source code. Which no on is going to do. You can't tell by looking at exe properties, esm files etc. If it was built by the same people its going to be similar design etc than before.

When the level editor comes out you are going to squeal because it will look similar to the old one. Well duh, they are going to make it similar everyone who works there knows how to use it. Huh, same as HL

Also, as someone said, wouldn't it be a massive risk for Bethesda to basically steal a game engine? Unless they have some secret deal with Gamebryo. If anyone found out they would be sued millions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

Have you noticed someone has edited the Gamebryo wikipedia page and added Skyrim? lol

Wow, you just can't admit that a) they lied, and b) ps3 owners got screwed.
If the engine was improved, they would have utterly changed how it utilises hardware. To only use 2 threads is like trying to make a new train run on coal - no one does it because it is just a bad idea. If they were going to improve the engine like other rival engines, you start at the core and build upwards, and this is one of the first things that would be fixed. Also, seeing how the games graphics have the exact same short falls of previous versions is another sign of them keeping the same engine.
Wow, you just can't admit that a) they lied, and b) ps3 owners got screwed.
If the engine was improved, they would have utterly changed how it utilises hardware. To only use 2 threads is like trying to make a new train run on coal - no one does it because it is just a bad idea. If they were going to improve the engine like other rival engines, you start at the core and build upwards, and this is one of the first things that would be fixed. Also, seeing how the games graphics have the exact same short falls of previous versions is another sign of them keeping the same engine.

STill waiting on this proof that plenty of knowledgeable people have said it's not a new engine :smile:. Or was that just another made up thing you like to do?

Still waiting on proof of it not being a new engine despite reviews and critics agreeing it is :smile:

You completely ignored his actual points about why it is a different engine and just replied essentially saying 'wow you can't accept they lied', just like a child. No intelligent reply at all.

Bored of this unsubstantiated rambling. None of what you says points to an old engine and yet to prove and of your boring ass comments, just like every single time you comment on this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cupid Stunt
Lol @ PS3 only owners! That's why I leave PS3 for exclusives/casual gaming.

Agreed. I own a PS3 rather than 360 because I prefer the exclusives that PS3 has to offer and, if we're being completely honest, because the PS3 does outperform the 360 in terms of graphics and performance when it comes to exclusive games built for the PS3.

I also prefer my online FPS to be console-based because... well... on console I'm good, on PC the quality of rival players is so high that I consistently get my arse kicked.

Multiplatform games, if they're available on PC... it's PC every time. The current generation of consoles has been completely raped by the latest CPU and GPU developments. Using Skyrim as an example... even without the game-breaking flaws on PS3 - with a few mods added, the PC version absolutely dwarfs both console versions in terms of graphics quality. Throw in the bejillions of content mods that will be available when the construction set comes out and it's not even comparable.

Even games that are clearly "console-designed" (Recent examples that I've played on both PS3 and PC: Dead Rising 2, Mass Effect 2) run so much better on PC (ME2 @ 1920*1200, full AA... screw your 1080p!) it's not even comparable. Full AA on everything, sharper textures, double the framerate and half (or less) the load times... that's current PC vs Console on multiplat titles.
Reply 3995
As a former active developer of a major Morrowind mod, I can attest that all the evidence that is being pointed to as indicative of it being the same engine has nothing to do with the engine other than running on it. Otherwise you are claiming that Morrowind runs on the same engine as Skyrim (which would be awesome if they actually made Morrowind in Skyrim's engine...but...)
Reply 3996
Original post by AugustWestie
I've got a slim and at times the game is unplayable.

How many hours do you have on your save? Is it external locations, internal ones? I have a slight frame rate drop in some interal locations, but everything else has been fine. Before the patch it was horrible outside, but has been much better since. Maybe I've just got lucky :colondollar:
agree/disagree with this article?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-article

i have to say, i did enjoy dark souls more than ive been enjoying skyrim...
Original post by Tommyjw
STill waiting on this proof that plenty of knowledgeable people have said it's not a new engine :smile:. Or was that just another made up thing you like to do?

Still waiting on proof of it not being a new engine despite reviews and critics agreeing it is :smile:

You completely ignored his actual points about why it is a different engine and just replied essentially saying 'wow you can't accept they lied', just like a child. No intelligent reply at all.

Bored of this unsubstantiated rambling. None of what you says points to an old engine and yet to prove and of your boring ass comments, just like every single time you comment on this thread.

Any chance of some links to those articles?
Now before we get into a circular argument of prove me right, prove me wrong, lets look at their claims and what the game actually delivered.

They say they have dynamic lighting.....which is clearly wrong as the game fails to render shadows of many objects and all alpha textures. Also, many games had this in year ago so it is not something to be making a fuss about.
They went on about this snow build up, but I have not noticed it being gradual - just that if you quick travel it changes from being there or not there. Again, not exactly hard as it seems to be texture pop ins rather than particle and physics.
The draw distance is pretty poor due to the awful object and detail draw distance. Why would they make it so bad when they are advertising it? Surely if they were using a brand new engine this would have been far better? :confused: But this is one of the many reason why I think it is a tweaked Gamebyro engine rather than a "brand new engine". They advertised all new features which turned out to be relatively poor and the game even contained the same bugs as previous generations. Either it is a new engine and they are bad devs, or they are pushing an old engine to hard. Again, this is reinforced by looking at what is new and successful - the animation. But this is all 3rd party software and has nothing to do with Bethesda besides getting good plugins.

However, this could all be simply a difference of opinion on what we define as a brand new engine. When I hear that term I expect something that is completely new eg Unreal 2 to 3, or FB 1 to 2, or Gold Src to Source, not FB 1 to 1.5 which is what this feel like.

Original post by Jale
As a former active developer of a major Morrowind mod, I can attest that all the evidence that is being pointed to as indicative of it being the same engine has nothing to do with the engine other than running on it. Otherwise you are claiming that Morrowind runs on the same engine as Skyrim (which would be awesome if they actually made Morrowind in Skyrim's engine...but...)

Don't get me wrong, the engine was greatly improved and modified from Morrowind to Oblivion (as expected when moving going from one generation to the next), but have we seen the same level of improvements and changes from Oblivion to Skyrim, and is it a "brand new engine" ? Of course not. If you look above I have listed some of their attempted changes which have either been poor or due to 3rd party software.

Original post by WhySoLimey

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-article

Quite a good article and it reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus, a game which told a story yet had no legible words and about a paragraphs worth of spoken text.
Something I have grown tired of is the amount of people in Skyrim begging for your help. Most of it is menial crap and utterly boring - "Oh please go get my amulet back as I was conned" , " Please go find my lost ring because I'm a retard" etc, and it ll leads you to going down the same type of cave to kill some bandits/falmer/Draugr. There is no mystery which could have been easily pulled off seeing how much is underground and that the game has magic in it. However I might just be having less fun with the game as it is very similar to Oblivion and Morrowind so I have seen it all before and that Skyrim has brought about few noticeable changes, where as many other people are new to the ES series so have played nothing like it before.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by WhySoLimey

Not really a fan of these generic 'top x' or 'compare this and this' articles on these websites but he raises one or two good points. I think my main gripe with the article is the comparison between two different game experiences and using the differences to justify the shortcomings of one of the games and how that game should strive to be like the other.

I could quite easily carry out a similar comparison between Shadow of the Colossus and Morrowind or Oblivion or Skyrim. That doesn't mean I want every RPG experience (whilst I would prefer more games like that) to be like Shadow of the Colossus, or in this case, Dark Souls.

I'd imagine the type of enjoyment one gets from Dark Souls is of a sadomasochistic nature. :sly:

Quick Reply

Latest