The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
Pfffffft. I hate bio with a passion

Thank goodness I'm not the only one :P
Original post by hannahmac4
My boss at the opticians I work with is sooo lovely, she's practically guaranteed me lifetime employment and is willing to train me up in using the fields equipment, Dicon and peripheral tests, also in how to teach people to fit contact lenses. Does anyone know if it is possible to add extra info to a UCAS form about work experience? X:smile:

I did fields, peripheral tests and got taught about contact lens fittings during my work experience!!! It's lots of fun :biggrin:
Original post by hannahmac4
My boss at the opticians I work with is sooo lovely, she's practically guaranteed me lifetime employment and is willing to train me up in using the fields equipment, Dicon and peripheral tests, also in how to teach people to fit contact lenses. Does anyone know if it is possible to add extra info to a UCAS form about work experience? X:smile:

Same! My boss has trained me up on that and the fundus photo machine.
I also do retinoscopy and opthalmoscopy. But all this extra knowledge isnt getting my grades down from the standard offer :tongue: I put it all in my personal statement
Original post by nimo09
what are the chances of getting offers for optom?

predicted grades are
A* in bio
A* in economics
A in graphic design
B in chemistry

I am worried about my chemistry grade potentially putting universities off

I'm predicted
A* in psychology
A in bio
B in physics

and I still got offers from Aston AAA and City AAB/interview for Manchester AAB (AA in core sciences). So it's very confusing as I don't understand entirely why they've given me offers of AA in 2 core sciences if I'm only going to ever get B at best in physics (and that's being optimistic!)

It shouldn't hold you back though. And since you do 4 A-levels they're bound to take that into account too.
Hey guys! I got a letter from cardiff today saying I've got an offer and to check ucas.
I don't have anything from them on ucas ... does anyone have/did anyone have this problem ?
It's such a tease finding out you have an offer from your potential firm but not given the conditions!
hey guys,

i'm thinking of optometry as a potential career
GCSES:
A*/A*/A*/A/A/A/A/A/B/B/B
AS LEVEL:
A/B/B/B
A2 PREDICTED:
A*/A/A

i thinking of a gap year, so i'm not really applying this year

i've searched everywhere on websites and can't make a decision whether these unis are good
-Anglia Ruskin
-City University
-Aston
-Cardiff
-Manchester

can anyone please draw out the best one and give a reason
I don't want to apply for a crappy uni and have a bad 3 years of my life
Original post by Funky_Munky
hey guys,

GCSES:
A*/A*/A*/A/A/A/A/A/B/B/B
AS LEVEL:
A/B/B/B
A2 PREDICTED:
A*/A/A

i've searched everywhere on websites and can't make a decision whether these unis are good
-Anglia Ruskin
-City University
-Aston
-Cardiff
-Manchester

The course is pretty much the same at all universities, so select on the city and where you'll be happiest living.

FWIW, I only have good things to say about Anglia Ruskin.
Reply 447
Original post by Funky_Munky
hey guys,

GCSES:
A*/A*/A*/A/A/A/A/A/B/B/B
AS LEVEL:
A/B/B/B
A2 PREDICTED:
A*/A/A

-Anglia Ruskin
-City University
-Aston
-Cardiff
-Manchester

Manchester is AMAZING, i go there, i guess its biased but i LOVE it :smile:
Cardiff is also a very highly ranked university and an excellent Optometry school. I think Manchester and Cardiff are the 2 best uni's for optom.
Its up to you at the end of the day, which uni appeals to you the most.
:smile:
Original post by Jodieeee....
Hey guys! I got a letter from cardiff today saying I've got an offer and to check ucas.
I don't have anything from them on ucas ... does anyone have/did anyone have this problem ?
It's such a tease finding out you have an offer from your potential firm but not given the conditions!

YES I got this also.
It is quite annoying indeed :frown: I really want to know what grades are :frown:
However, very many congratulations :smile:
Are you for attending open day in jan? :smile:
Original post by Rosi M
Manchester is AMAZING, i go there, i guess its biased but i LOVE it :smile:
Cardiff is also a very highly ranked university and an excellent Optometry school. I think Manchester and Cardiff are the 2 best uni's for optom.
Its up to you at the end of the day, which uni appeals to you the most.
:smile:

is the masters option better than the normal BSc one that manchester offer?

anyway, do you have any interview tips for manchester, as i have heard they are really tough:smile:
Original post by screamingduck
YES I got this also.
It is quite annoying indeed :frown: I really want to know what grades are :frown:
However, very many congratulations :smile:
Are you for attending open day in jan? :smile:

Congrats to you too!!
I know! And coz it's the weekend it'll be at least Monday before we hear!

Umm dno, I've been there so many times but coz I've seen all of my other 4 choices recently I wanna go to make sure I love it as much as when I went there last.
But, its right in the middle of my Jan exams. so probably not. Are you?
Congrats to you too!!
I know! And coz it's the weekend it'll be at least Monday before we hear!

Umm dno, I've been there so many times but coz I've seen all of my other 4 choices recently I wanna go to make sure I love it as much as when I went there last.
But, its right in the middle of my Jan exams. so probably not. Are you?

Yea I know, the suspense is just killing me with the grades lol
Ahhh very good, I know its pretty bad but I havent visited any of mine so I probably will go amd look, its just the fact its in the middle of A2 modules :frown:
Reply 452
Got an email from Anglia ruskin today: "you dont meet our criteria" Me: "why?" AR: "You are only taking 2 A-Levels" Me: "No i am not i have already completed my A-Level maths and will have 3 alevels, maths further maths biology!" AR:"ok we will review your application"....Track changes....conditional from AR.....BB in biology and CHEMISTRY since when did i tell you i took chemistry!!!! they need to sort themselves out!

Also got my cardif offer! AA biology and further maths and A in AS physics. now there is motivation to do work really want to go to cardiff but going to have to work soooo hard!!
Original post by hpsauce07
Got an email from Anglia ruskin today: "you dont meet our criteria" Me: "why?" AR: "You are only taking 2 A-Levels" Me: "No i am not i have already completed my A-Level maths and will have 3 alevels, maths further maths biology!" AR:"ok we will review your application"
....Track changes....conditional from AR.....BB in biology and CHEMISTRY since when did i tell you i took chemistry!!!! they need to sort themselves out!

Also got my cardif offer! AA biology and further maths and A in AS physics. now there is motivation to do work really want to go to cardiff but going to have to work soooo hard!!

Yup, I had the same problem with ARU last year. Told me I had to pass all 7 subjects at IB. (Me: We only do 6????)
I spoke to them and they changed my offer to say you need to get 30 points with 6 points in each subject (Again, me: So I need 30 points or 36 points?????)
Reply 454
Got my first offer from ARU today :biggrin:

Having the same problem :/
Anyone heard anything from caley yet? Sooooooo desperate to hear, want to go to caley so much! X
same on the caley front, it's my only chance of optometry cos I can't be affording the fees down south :/
Original post by hpsauce07
Got an email from Anglia ruskin today: "you dont meet our criteria" Me: "why?" AR: "You are only taking 2 A-Levels" Me: "No i am not i have already completed my A-Level maths and will have 3 alevels, maths further maths biology!" AR:"ok we will review your application"....Track changes....conditional from AR.....BB in biology and CHEMISTRY since when did i tell you i took chemistry!!!! they need to sort themselves out!

Bit weird on the ar side of things!! But well done on the 2 offers, even if one is messed up :tongue:
When did it come through on ucas about cardiff?
I got my letter on Saturday but it doesn't say my offer and its not come through on ucas yet :frown:
Reply 459

Bit weird on the ar side of things!! But well done on the 2 offers, even if one is messed up :tongue:
When did it come through on ucas about cardiff?
I got my letter on Saturday but it doesn't say my offer and its not come through on ucas yet :frown:

Yea it was a bit messed up but its all sorted now (BB in the subjects i actually do!)
I got the letter on saturday too and got the offer on ucas on monday, i have heard from other friends that they recieved offers from cardiff but it hadnt come on to ucas for ages, you will do soon dont worry!

Quick Reply

Latest