Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I applied, in this order;
Anastasia
Peter Taylor
Swinhoe
CB1 en-suite
Collier Road medium
Collier Road large
Sedley court/something else I can't quite remember for 7 and 8.

I got an accommodation offer for SEDLEY EFFING COURT.
I mean, it's not bad in and of itself, but seriously? Eighth choice? Like, why do they even try and sort it out now? Everything on the list was showing as full and it wasn't exactly my fault I couldn't apply- since they warn you on the website you need to wait until you've accepted- I was waiting until Glasgow gave me an offer before accepting anything. So of course everything was full.

Argh, never mind. Sedley court'll have to do.

What the hell?! That is so annoying, I can't believe that! Is Sedley Court one of the off-campus ones? And when did you apply?
Original post by britchick
What the hell?! That is so annoying, I can't believe that! Is Sedley Court one of the off-campus ones? And when did you apply?

It's about a mile away, yeah (according to the website). Oh well, gives me an excuse to pester mum for a bike (since everyone cycles in Cambridge). I applied, what... two weeks ago maybe? I would've done it sooner but like I said, didn't want to while I was still waiting on an offer (which I ended up withdrawing from anyway because it was taking so long). I mean, I also have Liverpool Orthoptics as a backup, and I don't think they sort out accommodation properly until after results. :/ Would be much better then, it would make more people happy and stuff, y'know? Although PT and Swinhoe were showing as full for weeks before I applied, Anastasia only started showing about two days before I did (which is the really annoying part because it was my first choice).
totally jumping in here, but i cant believe you got into Sedley! i really wanted a place, thinking everywhere else was already full! i applied like 3 weeks ago though and haven't heard back from ARU yet - but i asked the accommodation office there and they said they'd put me with YMCA... anyone else? i'm not too sure if i wanna be there...
Original post by jasminem-j
totally jumping in here, but i cant believe you got into Sedley! i really wanted a place, thinking everywhere else was already full! i applied like 3 weeks ago though and haven't heard back from ARU yet - but i asked the accommodation office there and they said they'd put me with YMCA... anyone else? i'm not too sure if i wanna be there...

Ahah, sorry. :/
I didn't want the YMCA at ALL. :/ You could always try the waiting list though, if that's all they're offering you right now. They'll put you in wherever they first find space.

I think it's RIDICULOUS that they do this system of first-come first-serve though. Most other places wait until AFTER results day, or so I'm told.
Original post by jasminem-j

Hi,
I hadn't heard from them so I called today and asked and they said I have been put into the Forum list...I am not so sure I want to go there esp since its sharing bathrooms..I am literally in tears here T_T
Original post by ShiroiHana
Hi,
I hadn't heard from them so I called today and asked and they said I have been put into the Forum list...I am not so sure I want to go there esp since its sharing bathrooms..I am literally in tears here T_T

Sorry to hear that. :/

Still. Chances are my place at Sedley will become available because I highly doubt there's any way I'm going to make my offer.
Sorry to hear that. :/

Still. Chances are my place at Sedley will become available because I highly doubt there's any way I'm going to make my offer.

Oh? How come? What grades did they ask for? and whats your insurance?
Hope you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by ShiroiHana
Oh?t How come? What grades did they ask for? and whats your insurance?
Hope you don't mind me asking :smile:

Got the typical offer of ABB with an A in a science. Not looking likely, though, I'm really struggling with maths at the minute and my biology is completely awful.
Back-up is Liverpool for Orthoptics.
It's about a mile away, yeah (according to the website). Oh well, gives me an excuse to pester mum for a bike (since everyone cycles in Cambridge). I applied, what... two weeks ago maybe? I would've done it sooner but like I said, didn't want to while I was still waiting on an offer (which I ended up withdrawing from anyway because it was taking so long). I mean, I also have Liverpool Orthoptics as a backup, and I don't think they sort out accommodation properly until after results. :/ Would be much better then, it would make more people happy and stuff, y'know? Although PT and Swinhoe were showing as full for weeks before I applied, Anastasia only started showing about two days before I did (which is the really annoying part because it was my first choice).

I e-mailed ARU last night as I was worried I still hadn't heard any news about accommodation even though I applied early Feb, and they replied saying

"we can confirm that you have been allocated a room in Peter Taylor House. As you may appreciate we send out over 800 offers for accommodation hence it may be possible you have not heard yet."

Quite chuffed! And relieved my application didn't get lost or anything :tongue:
Original post by britchick
I e-mailed ARU last night as I was worried I still hadn't heard any news about accommodation even though I applied early Feb, and they replied saying

"we can confirm that you have been allocated a room in Peter Taylor House. As you may appreciate we send out over 800 offers for accommodation hence it may be possible you have not heard yet."

Quite chuffed! And relieved my application didn't get lost or anything :tongue:

Oh, cool.
Still miffed about the way they do things, like, but trying not to be whiny. At least I have an offer of accommodation.
Reply 710
Original post by med123
Hey, hoping for anyone to give me any advice?

I am in year 12 and hoping to apply for optometry in 2013, in my jan exams i got C in maths, c in chemistry and a B in Biology. I know these grades are not good enought therefore i was wondering do any of you know if you do life science with a foundation year at manchester then can you go to their optometry course.
Also were these grades what you got in your first exams, any tips on to improve. Also does resists affect your application.

Hey, there's one person in my course right now (im a first year optom at manchester) who did biomedical science but he got something like 88% average in his 1st year which is quite hard to get at uni! My point is, there's no 'foundation' course but he originally applied for bio med, didnt like it and realised himself hes got the potential to do something else so whilst in 1st year of biomed, he applied for optom at manchester through the normal UCAS process. Manchester gave him a conditional, only if he gets 75% or above. So a good 1st in biomed first year.
Hope that helps
Well, I know it isn't me you've asked, but I got A*A*AAAAAAAB at GCSE (A*s and As in sciences, As in humanities, B in French).
At AS I got BBCC. Predicted ABB for A2. Offer from Anglia, rejected by Manchester. Waiting on Ulster and Caley.

WOW! well done you really deserve everything you get. WOW. so what subjects did you take for A-level? Was optometry always an option? :biggrin:
Original post by mooooo.nisah
WOW! well done you really deserve everything you get. WOW. so what subjects did you take for A-level? Was optometry always an option? :biggrin:

Haha, thanks. The way my maths exams have been going though, it's going to be a struggle to make my A. :/ I need over 80 UMS in my next two papers to make up for my disasterous C3.

I ended up taking Biology (C at AS), Maths (B at AS), Economics (B) and Chemistry (C), but dropped chemistry going into A2, because one or two of the places required biology.

I didn't want to do it until last august/september, actually. I had planned on doing Economics, because I really enjoy it. My own optometrist asked what I was applying for during my checkup in Spring of last year and I told him I didn't know, so he asked had I considered Optom and then he let me come in for some work experience (last August-ish) when I said I hadn't and stuff. And I just really enjoyed it- I can't imagine sitting at a desk all day with the same people all the time so it seemed to suit me really well. And he let me use all the equipment and stuff, so I could get a proper feel for everything. And it just went from there. :smile:
Haha, thanks. The way my maths exams have been going though, it's going to be a struggle to make my A. :/ I need over 80 UMS in my next two papers to make up for my disasterous C3.

I ended up taking Biology (C at AS), Maths (B at AS), Economics (B) and Chemistry (C), but dropped chemistry going into A2, because one or two of the places required biology.

I didn't want to do it until last august/september, actually. I had planned on doing Economics, because I really enjoy it. My own optometrist asked what I was applying for during my checkup in Spring of last year and I told him I didn't know, so he asked had I considered Optom and then he let me come in for some work experience (last August-ish) when I said I hadn't and stuff. And I just really enjoyed it- I can't imagine sitting at a desk all day with the same people all the time so it seemed to suit me really well. And he let me use all the equipment and stuff, so I could get a proper feel for everything. And it just went from there. :smile:

wow he seems like a really nice optometrist, i mean the ones where i live just about get the job, seems like we need more optometrist like you where we live. ha. i hope that you deserve what you get. :biggrin:
Reply 714
is it a really difficult degree to get into ? Ive you retook your AS year would that put you at disadvantage with optometry do you think?
Reply 715
Original post by infinite_nigma
hope so....I'm doing Chemistry, Biology and Psychology at AS Level...I also did religious studies but I won't be doing that at Alevel...messed up that exam real bad (btw, I'm an AS retake) .. how about you? :smile:

Hey i know you posted like last year haha, but im an AS retake too, just wondering did you get offers? what did you get first time round (if you dont mind posting) and what did you get second time round? did retaking put you at any disadvantage ? :smile:
Original post by Tammy786
Hey i know you posted like last year haha, but im an AS retake too, just wondering did you get offers? what did you get first time round (if you dont mind posting) and what did you get second time round? did retaking put you at any disadvantage ? :smile:

Hey :-) yeah, I had offers at University of Manchester, University of Bradford, Aston University and Anglia Ruskin (Cardiff rejected me but I wasn't considering going there anyway, just wanted to try my luck lol!) it didn't really put me at a disadvantage, I'm glad I retook the year. In my first year, I achieved DDEE in Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and ICT, upon retaking the year, I achieved AABB in the chemistry, psychology, biology and religious studies respectively :-), for manchester, you have to give a reason as to why you took 3 years to complete your a-levels. i had extenuating circumstances (personal problems within the family) and they were fine with it :smile: good luck with your application! keep me posted :smile:
Hey guys, so the A2 exams begin next week (well for me they do) and I know that most of you wont see this because youre revising! But who has actually firmed Cardiff?
Really worried about missing the offer by one grade at the moment ;/
Original post by Jodieeee....
Hey guys, so the A2 exams begin next week (well for me they do) and I know that most of you wont see this because youre revising! But who has actually firmed Cardiff?

I didn't but another girl in my school did. So I'm of no help to you.

Good luck in your A2s- I can't believe they haven't started yet! I'm finishing my second subject on Wednesday (CCEA S1 on Wed and economics is already finished) and then there's just AQA biology to contend with.
Reply 719
Original post by Jodieeee....

Hey :smile: i firmed cardiff! Good luck for your exams just believe in yourself you will be able to do it just do your best and try not to stress and worry! I had 2 exams before half term and now have to wait till 21st and 22nd for my next exams just got to try and not fall into the thinking that i have plenty of time! :smile:x

Quick Reply

Latest