The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

HELLOO!!!
there is 270 pages on this thread!!
anyway I applied for next and filled in the application form online..did the questionnaire and stuff! wanted to know how the process goes from there on?? Will they ask for a CV? interview? I have had no retail experience and this will be my first job!! Arrgghhh!! and I am 18 already.!!
Help me wonderful people
Original post by Deepti12
HELLOO!!!
there is 270 pages on this thread!!
anyway I applied for next and filled in the application form online..did the questionnaire and stuff! wanted to know how the process goes from there on?? Will they ask for a CV? interview? I have had no retail experience and this will be my first job!! Arrgghhh!! and I am 18 already.!!
Help me wonderful people

Hi, next don't normally ask for a CV. When I applied online it said it was optional to submit one if you wanted, I think the online process has changed a bit so it might not now.

Next are usually quite a good place for a first job, they hire quite a lot of young people with no experience! If you get through the online process you will get an email saying you have been shortlisted for a position and then you might get phoned for an interview/induction if you are successful!
I worked at NEXT during Christmas last year and was looking to apply again for a temporary role that is currently being advertised. If I recall, I was told priority is usually given to previous NEXT employees during my induction (I cannot exactly remember this is correct).

Would it be best to ring the NEXT store I am applying to, letting them know I previously worked at NEXT?
Original post by CSM1996
Hi, next don't normally ask for a CV. When I applied online it said it was optional to submit one if you wanted, I think the online process has changed a bit so it might not now.

Next are usually quite a good place for a first job, they hire quite a lot of young people with no experience! If you get through the online process you will get an email saying you have been shortlisted for a position and then you might get phoned for an interview/induction if you are successful!

Hopefully they won't ask for a CV because mine is appalling :colondollar::colondollar: BTW do you still work there?
Hopefully they won't ask for a CV because mine is appalling :colondollar::colondollar: BTW do you still work there?

I don't even have a CV I had one when I was 16 but that was on my old laptop, thank god I got a job at next without it because it was so bad :lol: And yeah I still work there, been like 8-9 months now :smile:
Original post by CSM1996
I don't even have a CV I had one when I was 16 but that was on my old laptop, thank god I got a job at next without it because it was so bad :lol: And yeah I still work there, been like 8-9 months now :smile:

Yay I have been shortlisted! Considering I have never had a job..they have asked for two referees ( and I already left 6th form) should I put my teachers for referees..?:confused::confused:
Original post by iamnoah
I worked at NEXT during Christmas last year and was looking to apply again for a temporary role that is currently being advertised. If I recall, I was told priority is usually given to previous NEXT employees during my induction (I cannot exactly remember this is correct).

Would it be best to ring the NEXT store I am applying to, letting them know I previously worked at NEXT?

I'm in the same position and applied for a role yesterday, on the online application it says something like "be sure to enter your national insurance number properly as it can help to identify if you have previously worked for us" so I think they can tell through that. I applied yesterday and got an email saying I'm short listed this morning haha, so I would guess we have some priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yay I have been shortlisted! Considering I have never had a job..they have asked for two referees ( and I already left 6th form) should I put my teachers for referees..?:confused::confused:

First of all, congrats for being shortlisted, let's hope you get a call in the next week or so :tongue:

I think you mean references :lol: and yeah, use your teachers but it might be better to phone them up and ask them first just so they are prepared if they do get phoned, none of my references were phoned though! Either that or if you've had any work experience you can put who was in charge of you there!
I've applied for so many next jobs. I get shortlisted for every single one of them. But I'm not getting a call back.
((( By the way, I was a summer sales temp in July. )))
Thanks in advance.
Original post by VinayPatel
I've applied for so many next jobs. I get shortlisted for every single one of them. But I'm not getting a call back.
((( By the way, I was a summer sales temp in July. )))
Thanks in advance.

It might be better actually going in and telling the store that you have worked there before as they won't look at every single application, so if they know you have had a bit of the training they might hire you! Just a thought :tongue:
Original post by CSM1996
It might be better actually going in and telling the store that you have worked there before as they won't look at every single application, so if they know you have had a bit of the training they might hire you! Just a thought :tongue:

Yeah, I'm going to do that because they should hopefully remember my face haha. Cheers.
So I just applied for a job a next as a stockroom assistant, and on the numeracy question it asks to work out which two CD's were not brought after you worked out which ones came to the total of like £22 something. I could not figure it out all. Every time I tried I got the wrong amount and gradually ran out of time trying to work it out without making mistakes. I answered everything else correctly I feel but that one question I just put cannot say and have a feeling that will affect my application.
hi does anyone know how much the uniform allowance is?
Original post by mulberry1
Omggg
Team assessment two weeks ago on a Thursday, successful, was told I'd be called in the next few days about an induction. By Friday a week on, nothing, ring store, am told someone will call me back to schedule an induction in the next few days. Wednesday, nothing. Visit store and manager makes a note to call me with a date within 48 hours. Sunday nothing, call store and they said they'd get back to me by this morning. Nothing.

I guess I'll just have to wait and I know inductions are quite far apart so it's a lot of organising to fit people in- but still, so ridiculous and disorganised :frown:

What did you do in your team assessment? I have mine today and have no idea what I'll be asked to do?
Original post by jessiejay26
Hi, well done for getting short listed!
I have worked for next for 5 months now, and Ive only just turned 18, so your age wont stop you with alot :P
The salary changes alot, as you have to do quizzes throughout your training and this willcause your pay to increase. The clothes allowance is worked out on your contract, and as heard, is usually 75% off £75 sounds alot but is really only enough to get you a dress and a top (I wear my own black trousers). However, its all you really need for a part time job :smile:
The job itself I really do enjoy. I hear alot of people complain about working for next, but I havent had any major problems. The interview is straight forward and the lady who interviewed me, who is now my manager is so lovely. The other staff are really nice too, and its just all about having confidence. You are often put on different departments, to get a feel for the whole store, but having diversity is fun, and if you're not sure of anything you can always ask somebody. It takes a while to get used to using the tills, and doing directory returns, but becomes pretty straight forward soon after. They sometimes may put you on a shift that isnt your contract, which is great f you want more money/experience, but if you cant do it, you can speak to the manager, and possibly offer some other time. Ive done this, and although they may rely on me just a tad, they appreciate it all the same.
Good luck with everything, let me know if you get an interview or the job!

I've been told to come into store for a hour or so for the assessment. What exactly will I be doing? Do they just let me loose on the floor? Or do I have tasks etc?
So I was just looking over my application for Next and I saw that I did not put any of my grades from school or work experience, because it never asked me to put it in -.-
Original post by Tedster
So I was just looking over my application for Next and I saw that I did not put any of my grades from school or work experience, because it never asked me to put it in -.-

Omg I was just about to ask the same question.ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410264734.041424.jpg
This is what comes up on mine .I thought I was the only one,When you submit it though and review it ,It comes up saying you have '0 Gcses' and No work experience. No wonder why I've been Next-jected a million times.
What is going on:s-smilie:
Somebody help us!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livealittle
Omg I was just about to ask the same question.ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410264734.041424.jpg
This is what comes up on mine .I thought I was the only one,When you submit it though and review it ,It comes up saying you have '0 Gcses' and No work experience. No wonder why I've been Next-jected a million times.
What is going on:s-smilie:
Somebody help us!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep same for me. No section at all comes up for entering work experience or grades on any job I apply for. Without that my chances of getting the job is pretty much 0.
Original post by Tedster
Yep same for me. No section at all comes up for entering work experience or grades on any job I apply for. Without that my chances of getting the job is pretty much 0.

:frown: what are we going to do :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tedster

This is exactly the same for me, even says I've not left secondary school when I'm 18 and have just left year 13! However, I have been short listed for an interview for several stores so it must not matter as I wasn't asked any of this when filling out my application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending