The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hashim123
Question on Next - there's currently a vacancy going in my local area for the role of Sales Consultant. The vacancy is temporary, "8 hours, Part time (temporary)" - does that mean 8 hours a week? Just wanted to clarify this, because the job seems well-suited to me, but 8 hours a week wouldn't be enough for me as I'd want do at least 16 hours a week. I wasn't even aware companies offered 8-hour-a-week vacancies. Some help on this would be appreciated.

Hiya, I work at Next. :smile:

The vacancy being advertised is 8 hours a week - however, 8 hours is your minimum. I sometimes end up doing double my contracted hours.
Original post by Katieitak
Hiya, I work at Next. :smile:

The vacancy being advertised is 8 hours a week - however, 8 hours is your minimum. I sometimes end up doing double my contracted hours.

Hey Katie,

Thanks for the reply. By minimum, do you mean it's a minimum and anything else on top would be overtime, or that it's a minimum number of hours and I would get to choose the hours I want to work during the application process?
By minimum, do you mean it's a minimum and anything else on top would be overtime, or that it's a minimum number of hours and I would get to choose the hours I want to work during the application process?

8 hours is the chosen number of hours they'd like to advertise to potential employees - that's basically the number of hours that would suit the store, and the vacancy that needs to be filled.

If you were actually awarded an 8 hour contract during after the interview and stuff, this is the minimum number of hours you would probably do a week - they may ring to ask you to work extra days where you're available, or even extend your shifts on certain days if it's a busy day. You can always say no, don't worry:wink:

In the interview, you can always tell them that you're always up for working more hours during the week - this will look good, as it shows interest in your job. If they wanted to then increase your contracted hours, they would.

If they don't, there's other options to increase your hours worked - you'll be able to access an online portal to see your contracted shifts for the forthcoming two weeks. It also tells you if there's any extra shifts available that you are allowed to work if you wanted to :smile: And, there will always be people in your workplace trying to get people to cover their shift for many reasons. If you're after the hours, just spread the word and people will approach you about it :smile:

Hope that answers your question!
8 hours is the chosen number of hours they'd like to advertise to potential employees - that's basically the number of hours that would suit the store, and the vacancy that needs to be filled.

If you were actually awarded an 8 hour contract during after the interview and stuff, this is the minimum number of hours you would probably do a week - they may ring to ask you to work extra days where you're available, or even extend your shifts on certain days if it's a busy day. You can always say no, don't worry:wink:

In the interview, you can always tell them that you're always up for working more hours during the week - this will look good, as it shows interest in your job. If they wanted to then increase your contracted hours, they would.

If they don't, there's other options to increase your hours worked - you'll be able to access an online portal to see your contracted shifts for the forthcoming two weeks. It also tells you if there's any extra shifts available that you are allowed to work if you wanted to :smile: And, there will always be people in your workplace trying to get people to cover their shift for many reasons. If you're after the hours, just spread the word and people will approach you about it :smile:

Hope that answers your question!

Ah, I understand. Thanks for the help, Katie, that's very comprehensive. One more thing - how hard are extra hours to come by? For me, I've worked out the minimum I'd want to work a week is 20-24 hours (yeah, 16 was ridiculously naive :s-smilie:) - are those hours going to be hard to come by with an 8-hour-a-week contract? Is there a chance of me not being able to do more than 8 hours in a week?
Is there a chance of me not being able to do more than 8 hours in a week?

It varies really :rolleyes:

Some weeks there'll be tons of shifts to take, others there may be none. If you're available 7 days a week though, your chances of picking up shifts are improved a lot :smile:

If you're given an 8 hour contract, you'll be given specific days where you will be required to work. You could always consider having a second job with similar contracted hours, working around the days you're not at next?

You're best waiting and seeing what they say at your interview, though. Personally I would apply and see where it takes you - if you decide you're not interested later on, you just let them know and they'll let you go :smile:
It varies really :rolleyes:

Some weeks there'll be tons of shifts to take, others there may be none. If you're available 7 days a week though, your chances of picking up shifts are improved a lot :smile:

If you're given an 8 hour contract, you'll be given specific days where you will be required to work. You could always consider having a second job with similar contracted hours, working around the days you're not at next?

You're best waiting and seeing what they say at your interview, though. Personally I would apply and see where it takes you - if you decide you're not interested later on, you just let them know and they'll let you go :smile:

Brilliant, thanks for all that Katie. Yeah, I think I might just go ahead and try for it... nothing to lose, as they say. :P Thanks again!
Question on Next - there's currently a vacancy going in my local area for the role of Sales Consultant. The vacancy is temporary, "8 hours, Part time (temporary)" - does that mean 8 hours a week? Just wanted to clarify this, because the job seems well-suited to me, but 8 hours a week wouldn't be enough for me as I'd want do at least 16 hours a week. I wasn't even aware companies offered 8-hour-a-week vacancies. Some help on this would be appreciated.

I'm contracted to 8.5 hours a week and over summer I was doing over 30 hours every week, once they know you can do a lot of extra hours they tend to give you a lot more. There are people in my store who do like 5 days a week and take on more hours and next tend to give them a lot more hours,whereas there are some people who only get their contract because they don't want to do extra hours.
Hi, I've got my 'team assessment' for sales consultant on monday, can anybody tell me what I'll be doing and whether it's just me doing it, or will there be a group of people with me?
Does anybody know how much an hour an 18 year old will get at Next? Just been offered the job after my assessment today and was wondering. Thanks :smile:
Original post by tabithajade
Hi, I've got my 'team assessment' for sales consultant on monday, can anybody tell me what I'll be doing and whether it's just me doing it, or will there be a group of people with me?

I had mine today and I didn't really do that much, there was one other girl and we got separated to shadow a member of staff. She had a little book where she wrote down comments about me. I had a little peak and she had said I was friendly and asked lots of questions. Just seem really interested in the job and you will most likely get it :smile:
Original post by Jessie113
Does anybody know how much an hour an 18 year old will get at Next? Just been offered the job after my assessment today and was wondering. Thanks :smile:

Your pay depends on the amount of training you've recieved/passed, and how long you've worked with Next :smile:

Edit: Have a nosey at some of the posters in your staffroom, there's usually a flow chart showing how your pay increases.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have a 7 and a half hour contract and they've now scheduled me for 21 hours of overtime (some in periods I have stated I am unavailable because I'm at college). What do I do? Will they let me off if I say I can't do it? My shifts are usually weekend and evenings as I cant work weekdays during the day. Also when will I get my name badge/lanyard as I feel out of place not having one? And when will I receive my discounts (25% and working wardrobe allowance) as I feel out of place wearing clothes not from next as I cant afford them.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
Original post by ellarxse
I have a 7 and a half hour contract and they've now scheduled me for 21 hours of overtime (some in periods I have stated I am unavailable because I'm at college). What do I do? Will they let me off if I say I can't do it? My shifts are usually weekend and evenings as I cant work weekdays during the day. Also when will I get my name badge/lanyard as I feel out of place not having one? And when will I receive my discounts (25% and working wardrobe allowance) as I feel out of place wearing clothes not from next as I cant afford them.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

PM me and I'll answer your questions, can't be bothered writing it all out in a post :awesome:

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

I'm in the same situation as you. I've worked at next for over a year, have no name badge, constantly scheduled for college times. They've never had a problem with me going in and telling them i'm in college so the best thing you can do is ring them up or go in. You should get your working wardrobe within 2 weeks? Hope this helped.:s-smilie:
I had my Team Assessment on Tuesday and it went really well!
Basically once you get there, they take you into the office and check your ID and NI details - make sure you take photocopies of your ID's!!!
Then they take you to the shop floor, where you spend about 20 minutes on 2 different departments. I worked on shoes and then fitting room.
They want to see how well you will do on the shop floor, how you speak to customers etc.
On shoes, I just kept myself busy - as they don't like it if your just standing there!! I spoke to some customers, just the normal stuff, good morning, hey how are you? would you like any assistance? that kind of thing. There will be a person taking notes of what you do and if you use your own initiative.
Fitting room was rather easy basically I just put the stuff away - they want to see if you check the correct cube is on for the size, the hanger is the right way, they clothes are correctly hung. They also want to see you tidying the shop floor on your way around. Checking the sizing is in the correct order. And also speaking to customers.

nothing too hard I'd say, just be confidence and approachable.

I got the job - they tell you straight away on the day. :smile:

Good Luck x
I had a team assessment last week and I was successful in getting the job. I was told my contract would be sent to me this week but it's still not arrived yet, do they always take a long time to send out the contracts?
Original post by EllieTaorps
I'm in the same situation as you. I've worked at next for over a year, have no name badge, constantly scheduled for college times. They've never had a problem with me going in and telling them i'm in college so the best thing you can do is ring them up or go in. You should get your working wardrobe within 2 weeks? Hope this helped.:s-smilie:

Have you had an actual contract? Because I havent been given one to sign or anything so Im not sure if Im meant to have had one or not?? Do you have a lanyard as you havent got a badge? Yeah this has helped, thanks!
Have you had an actual contract? Because I havent been given one to sign or anything so Im not sure if Im meant to have had one or not?? Do you have a lanyard as you havent got a badge? Yeah this has helped, thanks!

I have! I signed one when I first started which was a zero hour flexible temp, now i'm on a permanent 6 hour flexible contract. I do have a lanyard, i'm pretty sure you'll be issued one soon!
Hey guys, so I applied to next as well for sales consultant and I haven't received an email or got a phone call yet ( fingers crossed I will soon :biggrin: ) but do they wait until the closing date to send you an email ? Or do you get it within that week after you sent your application away ?
Good luck to anyone else waiting for a reply from them :smile:
Does anybody know why on the Next employee portal it says 'Unpaid hours (12) week starting 5th october -£70.08'? The 5th october is my first shift after my induction and obviously have not done this yet. My monthly payment is lower than the 'monthly basic pay' just above it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending