The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich Medical School) Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I submitted on the 30th September. You?
Original post by georgiagray93
I submitted on the 30th September. You?

Ah, I submitted it yesterday. lol. Won't expect a reply any time soon then.
Reply 182
Original post by gloriousballs
it makes me laugh hearing all the first time applicants buzzing to get a reply, checking their emails every 30 minutes! my advice is to keep it cool as most of the replies come in the new year and beyond so don't get too excited!!

Thanks for this. All my friends are the same too... I suppose we just don't know what to expect, it's good preparation for being a doctor!! UEA begin interviewing on 15th December and UCAS deadline is tomorrow, so with a stroke of luck 25% of my anxiety should be alleviated soon-ish!!!
Reply 183
Original post by stephaniews
Thanks for this. All my friends are the same too... I suppose we just don't know what to expect, it's good preparation for being a doctor!! UEA begin interviewing on 15th December and UCAS deadline is tomorrow, so with a stroke of luck 25% of my anxiety should be alleviated soon-ish!!!

Not to dampen your spirits but the 15th December interview day is usually for UEA graduates/ local applicants. Most ppl hear about their interviews in Dec/Jan time!
Reply 184
Original post by UEAMedic
Not to dampen your spirits but the 15th December interview day is usually for UEA graduates/ local applicants. Most ppl hear about their interviews in Dec/Jan time!

:awesome: I'm a local applicant...
ditto
Reply 186

If "local" implies "home", as in UK students, I'm one of those..! Unless you mean local as in to the Norwich area?

How does UEA use the UKCAT? I've heard lots of different things, but is there usually a cutoff? Thanks :smile:
Reply 187
If "local" implies "home", as in UK students, I'm one of those..! Unless you mean local as in to the Norwich area?

How does UEA use the UKCAT? I've heard lots of different things, but is there usually a cutoff? Thanks :smile:

No it's the local area, Norwich and surrounding places!

You'll get a score on your application for your UKCAT overall result - I don't know the details of how the med school generate the score. There is no cut off but obviously the better you do the higher your scoring will be.
Reply 188
No it's the local area, Norwich and surrounding places!

You'll get a score on your application for your UKCAT overall result - I don't know the details of how the med school generate the score. There is no cut off but obviously the better you do the higher your scoring will be.

OK thanks :smile:

What do you think my chances are of getting an interview? (I know it's a really standard question, but genuinely really hung up about UCAS/university etc.!)

GCSE: 9A*, 1A
Free Standing Maths Qual. grade A (apparently 20 UCAS pts)
UKCAT: 690
AS: Maths, Chem, Bio, Spanish all grade A
Predicted grades: Maths, Bio, Spanish A*, Chem A

Thanks in advance!

What do you think my chances are of getting an interview? (I know it's a really standard question, but genuinely really hung up about UCAS/university etc.!)

Thanks in advance!

Probably very high. :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by dunnicare
Probably very high. :smile:

You have no idea how much better that made me feel. I'm the only person I know personally applying to UEA and have just been SO crazy about the whole application process (you can probably tell)!

On a more general note, I'm taking 4 A2 levels at the moment but might drop a subject later on (I'm undergoing hospital treatment which is unpredictable in terms of length and extensiveness). If I do drop a subject (will be Spanish), does that affect my chances of getting in?

Presumably I'll have to call UEA and tell them, but that leaves me with pred. grades of A* A* A. If I get an offer, will it include the other subject to A2? Thanks :smile:
You have no idea how much better that made me feel. I'm the only person I know personally applying to UEA and have just been SO crazy about the whole application process (you can probably tell)!

On a more general note, I'm taking 4 A2 levels at the moment but might drop a subject later on (I'm undergoing hospital treatment which is unpredictable in terms of length and extensiveness). If I do drop a subject (will be Spanish), does that affect my chances of getting in?

Presumably I'll have to call UEA and tell them, but that leaves me with pred. grades of A* A* A. If I get an offer, will it include the other subject to A2? Thanks :smile:

Well I don't know if UEA give you extra points (so to speak) for having 4 A levels but if you do decide to drop a subject notify them as soon as possible. If I were you though I'd call up to tell them about your possible plans seeing as the one might drop you're predicted an A* in. Call not e-mail. Just to be on the safe side as you'll be anon. :smile:
Reply 192
Original post by dunnicare
Well I don't know if UEA give you extra points (so to speak) for having 4 A levels but if you do decide to drop a subject notify them as soon as possible. If I were you though I'd call up to tell them about your possible plans seeing as the one might drop you're predicted an A* in. Call not e-mail. Just to be on the safe side as you'll be anon. :smile:

Thanks, that's brilliant :smile: I'll be sure to call them on Monday, and I hope they're nice about it! Really like UEA, and although it's not "up there" with Oxbridge and the rest, it's a really lovely place and I think I'd like to study there.

What's the accommodation like at UEA? Think I saw some new build, modern-looking flats on my way out of the uni on the Open Day. I don't mind about the cost, just keen to stay somewhere nice(ish) :smile:
Thanks, that's brilliant :smile: I'll be sure to call them on Monday, and I hope they're nice about it! Really like UEA, and although it's not "up there" with Oxbridge and the rest, it's a really lovely place and I think I'd like to study there.

What's the accommodation like at UEA? Think I saw some new build, modern-looking flats on my way out of the uni on the Open Day. I don't mind about the cost, just keen to stay somewhere nice(ish) :smile:

No idea, I'm an applicant like you. But don't worry, based on your academs and UKCAT you still have a high chance at interview.

Sorry if I gave you the impression I was a student. :redface:
Reply 194

Thanks in advance!

You meet all the entry requirements so you stand a good chance of getting an interview.

We may not be up there with Oxbridge, but remember we're a new med school and all medical schools are regulated by the GMC so you get the same level of education wherever you end up.

Accommodation wise it's fairly good, the best thing to do would be to go on the UEA accommodation website and do some of the virtual room tours they have. That'll give you an idea of the standard of the accommodation.
Reply 195

Out of the places I've looked at online (and real life) the UEA accomodation looks nicest. ^-^
When I was browsing through the Medicine Stalking Page 2012, I discovered so far, I'm the only international applicant on the list... :u:
Reply 197
Anyone get the "MBBS Degree Programme (A100) - Application Acknowledgement‏" email today? I got a similar one just after I sent my UCAS application off, though now I'm guessing it was just because I applied to biomedicine there as well? :s-smilie:
Yeah I got my "we've received your application thing" today
Reply 199
Original post by blahblah772
Yeah I got my "we've received your application thing" today

Ah good :biggrin:

My Hotmail account conveniently put it in the Junk folder! :zomg:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending