The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich Medical School) Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iaso
What Joseppea said. The concrete buildings look awful at first, but I've spent quite a bit of time up there lately, and I barely notice them at all now tbh. In fact, I've grown quite fond of them. They're definitely better then the less distinctive concrete 60's buildings, like you get at places like Leicester!

Also, as has been mentioned, the med school itself is new and modern. The rest of the campus is quite green (although not as green as, say, Keele) and there's the lake, and fields around too. Plus the surrounding area of Norwich is lovely. I'd have to say, campus-wise, it's one of the best in the country!

I have to admit I was thoroughly impressed with the sports facilities :smile:
Reply 1781
Original post by InternetGangster
I have to admit I was thoroughly impressed with the sports facilities :smile:

Oh yes, the sports facilities are fantastic, and quite affordable if you're a student too
Original post by Helenia
Those grades are not poor and you know it, especially if you add decent AS results to them. There are not many medical schools which you would have to rule out on the basis of those results.

I don't think they're poor but they are not good enough to put me in a strong position for academic selection processes, which is why I'm not apply to Oxford or Birmingham. They said they rank for interview based on academics and I don't think these grades will put me in the top 650 applicants. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
Has anyone heard anything about their CRB check? When and how are you meant to give them your original documents?
Reply 1784
You have to bring the documents you used on the form to the induction day.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi all...I received my IB results last week and have met my offer to study medicine this September at UEA. I was looking at the medicine page on the UEA website and noticed that there is an age requirement for the course. The problem is that I do not turn 18 until this December. Do you think they'll still let me on the course or will they defer my entry? I find it very strange that they would even give me an offer. Lol...I really hope they don't send me home when I arrive in September.... LOOOOOORD GIVEEE ME STRENGTH
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1786
Original post by Medicine2012
Hi all...I received my IB results last week and have met my offer to study medicine this September at UEA. I was looking at the medicine page on the UEA website and noticed that there is an age requirement for the course. The problem is that I do not turn 18 until this December. Do you think they'll still let me on the course or will they defer my entry? I find it very strange that they would even give me an offer. Lol...I really hope they don't send me home when I arrive in September.... LOOOOOORD GIVEEE ME STRENGTH

Don't worry, you'll be allowed o start the course. There's been students younger than you starting in the past!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1787
Have any offer holders recieved any welcome letter/booklet yet apart from the stuff we got with our offers? I've only just had my crb posted through to me.
I'm probably just being paranoid.
Reply 1788
I've just received my CRB forms and have realised that they require both the original documents and their photocopies. It says that the whole process takes up to around 5 weeks. My issue is that ill be travelling on the 18th of August and I need my passport. So does anyone have any idea if ill get it back by then?
Original post by sounv001
I've just received my CRB forms and have realised that they require both the original documents and their photocopies. It says that the whole process takes up to around 5 weeks. My issue is that ill be travelling on the 18th of August and I need my passport. So does anyone have any idea if ill get it back by then?

You shouldn't need to send off your passport- they should've checked it at your interview? Only send off the documents highlighted- for me that was only a bank statement and now all I need to do is pay.... waiting 'till results to do that! Not paying £44 till my place is confirmed!

Also, I got back my documents within 2 or 3 days...
Reply 1790
Original post by puddleduck
You shouldn't need to send off your passport- they should've checked it at your interview? Only send off the documents highlighted- for me that was only a bank statement and now all I need to do is pay.... waiting 'till results to do that! Not paying £44 till my place is confirmed!

Yep you were right. Thank you and good luck for your results!

You realise that a clear CRB is part of your offer and therefore your place won't be confirmed until it's been done?

And I don't think you can even wait until results - I had a deadline that mine needed to be sent off by.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
You realise that a clear CRB is part of your offer and therefore your place won't be confirmed until it's been done?

And I don't think you can even wait until results - I had a deadline that mine needed to be sent off by.

Oops :P I meant 'till I see if I've met the grades.... but we haven't been given a deadline as far as I know. When was yours?
Oops :P I meant 'till I see if I've met the grades.... but we haven't been given a deadline as far as I know. When was yours?

Yeah but they're not going to want to hang around until after results day to confirm your place, so I'd really get it in ASAP. And I can't remember, it was 2 years ago. Sometime in June I think.
Reply 1794
I only got my crb stuff in the post on Thursday so I can't see that the deadline would have been june. There is no deadline that I have seen but I will be sending mine off as soon as I can get my things photocopied just to make sure.

Also the UEA does seem to be quite accommodating if you let them know your situation. My health screening was a bit late because my GP took ages but I let them know beforehand and they were fine with it.

I've just sent UEA evidence that I've met the conditions of my offer (I'm a graduate) and they've changed my offer to unconditional on UCAS so I don't think they need the CRB to have cleared for that to happen.
Original post by feverdream
I've just sent UEA evidence that I've met the conditions of my offer (I'm a graduate) and they've changed my offer to unconditional on UCAS so I don't think they need the CRB to have cleared for that to happen.

I was the same, but they can't finalise your application until your CRB check has been done as well. I tried to get my application finalised to sort out accommodation but until your CRB is done your spot is not finalised.
Hi, this may sound like a stupid question, but I got an email from the UEA asking me to complete their CRB. I have an unconditional offer from Southampton and they have sent me the CAS number. Do I still have to complete the CRB?

Thank you in advance!
Are there any current students who could advise me on what sort of printer to buy for September. I'm unsure whether to get a laser or 3 in 1 printer. Will I do much copying/scanning? If so, would it be better to have my own, or is it easy enough to use the university's photocopier in the library?

Reply 1799
When was the last time anyone hear anything from the uea? Ive sent everything away CRB, health screening etc but I've not heard anything for about 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending