The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aleviodema
Yep , Kings College cambridge, wbu?:smile:

Nope. Just wondering, because If you're not gunning for oxbridge, it can detriment your app if you submit it before Oct 15th.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by ChemAddict

Nope. Just wondering, because If you're not gunning for oxbridge, it can detriment your app if you submit it before Oct 15th.
I don't think there's any real basis for that myth....
Original post by fluteflute

Not completely unfounded. A couple of people I know got insta-rejected from UCL/Bristol etc for submitting their app before the 15th.

Not completely unfounded. A couple of people I know got insta-rejected from UCL/Bristol etc for submitting their app before the 15th.

They might just not have been what UCL/Bristol were looking for? There's a thread about this, admittedly a few years old, but it does seem barmy that any university would want to reject people for being organised and submitting early.
Reply 284

They might just not have been what UCL/Bristol were looking for? There's a thread about this, admittedly a few years old, but it does seem barmy that any university would want to reject people for being organised and submitting early.

No, it does happen. All of my friends who applied to Oxbridge AND Durham got rejections. Whether it's the Oct 15 app, or A* predictions or both, idk. I got an offer because I wasn't a home student at the time. They are careful about who to make offers to because they have a quota they have to meet every year. If they think there is a good chance this student isn't coming here, then they won't make you an offer.

However, for imperial, I don't think it can detriment your application. They take the best they can get their hands on... which in this case, took in one of their own rejects xD
Reply 285
Original post by Dark-Myth
No, it does happen. All of my friends who applied to Oxbridge AND Durham got rejections.

Same with all my friends. Weird.
Hey guys.
Reply 287
Original post by dnumberwang
Hey guys.

Hello there :smile: Another maths applicant... I guess I ought to add you to the list.

Sent off the application yet?
Original post by Beth1234
Hello there :smile: Another maths applicant... I guess I ought to add you to the list.

Sent off the application yet?

:hi:

Yep, but the reference hasn't been done yet :tongue:

Btw I'm doing G104, Maths with a year in Europe. Probably Germany :biggrin:
Reply 289

Noted :smile: I shall change the list as soon as I get round to it.

My UCAS is still not sent to the school. My form tutor tells me that my personal statement isn't Oxbridge material, since "all Oxbridge (and other top unis) statements are full of extracurricular, to show they are well-rounded people". :rolleyes: She also has a very fixed idea of how "good" statements should look like - the two people who got into oxbridge both devoted their introduction talking in length about the beauty of maths, so apparently I have to do that too. I'm in a bit of bother - if I send what I have, I suspect she'll bounce it back. :frown:

My UCAS is still not sent to the school. My form tutor tells me that my personal statement isn't Oxbridge material, since "all Oxbridge (and other top unis) statements are full of extracurricular, to show they are well-rounded people". :rolleyes: She also has a very fixed idea of how "good" statements should look like - the two people who got into oxbridge both devoted their introduction talking in length about the beauty of maths, so apparently I have to do that too. I'm in a bit of bother - if I send what I have, I suspect she'll bounce it back. :frown:
It's not personal if you don't want to write about that though :tongue:

And the extracurricular thing is clearly nonsense seeing as both Oxford and Cambridge state they couldn't care less about extracurriculars (but I expect you know that)

extra curriculars are NOT good for oxbridge personal statements. they don't care about how well rounded you are but look at how passionate and good you are at the subject.
Reply 292
It's not personal if you don't want to write about that though :tongue:

And the extracurricular thing is clearly nonsense seeing as both Oxford and Cambridge state they couldn't care less about extracurriculars (but I expect you know that)

Original post by like_a_star
extra curriculars are NOT good for oxbridge personal statements. they don't care about how well rounded you are but look at how passionate and good you are at the subject.

Yeah, I know extracurricular stuff isn't really necessary, but unfortunately she's convinced they are - hence my frustration. In terms of the love for maths thing - it's definitely in there, but I haven't devoted an entire paragraph to it, and I didn't start with it - which she says is apparently unacceptable. Others I've shown it to agree that it's a strong statement though, that displays my love for maths strongly.

On the bright side, she is wonderful with the references :h:
Reply 293
Yeah, I know extracurricular stuff isn't really necessary, but unfortunately she's convinced they are - hence my frustration. In terms of the love for maths thing - it's definitely in there, but I haven't devoted an entire paragraph to it, and I didn't start with it - which she says is apparently unacceptable. Others I've shown it to agree that it's a strong statement though, that displays my love for maths strongly.

On the bright side, she is wonderful with the references :h:

If you want I'll PM you my personal statement - because like you, I had someone slate my statement a fair bit (my careers adviser); but in my case, she said it "wasn't academic-sounding enough" and "Oxford won't give you a second glance with that ditzy opening paragraph."

She was overruled by a bevy of other senior teachers who had all seen it...including my very own Headmaster (he has the final say, actually.) :tongue:

I scored an interview at Oxford.

Result. :smile:

So yeah, if you want to show your teacher another example of something that doesn't fit her criteria but still scored an Oxbridge interview (or you just want to see it for yourself), let me know. DM and Zottula have seen it before. ^^

EDIT// For the naysayers out there...extracurrics help IF you can prove a) that you've got a strong passion for them, and b) how they tie in with your desired course and give you the skills you need to succeed in it. My PS dedicates a para to my activities...jussayin'.
The key is in knowing how to write it so they're displayed to your advantage, not to make you look like "oh-I-just-took-a-bunch-of-random-activities-just-so-I-look-well-rounded-though-I-don't-actually-like-them."
(edited 12 years ago)

I'll be applying for this course too.. changed my mind. Whoops. Umm... likely France or Belgium though. But, hey, competition, yay.

Actually, do all Maths people compete with each other regardless of the course?
(edited 12 years ago)

Oxbridge/IC etc... don't care about your extracurrics as much as people make out. If you have some that you can link back to maths, then definitely put it in. Otherwise, drop your extacurriculars in a short paragraph at the end.
Right so I'm being a bit ambitious with my choices for uni:

Imperial - Mech. Engineering MEng
Imperial - Physics
Imperial - Maths
UCL/LSE - Engineering with Business Finance
UCL - Mechanical Engineering

I'm going to go Southampton and see what it's like, but nothing against the uni, if I feel homesick or I feel I'd be better off in London closer to home then i'll drop out and apply to the places above.

Good luck guys.
Reply 297
Original post by Edwin Okli
I'll be applying for this course too.. changed my mind. Whoops. Umm... likely France or Belgium though. But, hey, competition, yay.

Actually, do all Maths people compete with each other regardless of the course?

No more Comp Sci?

I'm pretty sure all maths people compete with each other, regardless of course. I think only Maths and Comp Sci people are the exception - since applications are processed by the Comp Sci department.

So don't worry, you have plenty of competition :colone:

No more Comp Sci?

I'm pretty sure all maths people compete with each other, regardless of course. I think only Maths and Comp Sci people are the exception - since applications are processed by the Comp Sci department.

So don't worry, you have plenty of competition :colone:

No... I've realised ... finally that three or four years of Comp Sci is definitely not something that I wish to put myself through. Therefore, I chose Maths instead despite the insane competition. How do you think Imperial decides on which people to offer to with regards to Maths? They don't interview, they don't ask for UMS scores, they don't give out STEP offers (so they can't deliberately over-offer like Warwick). I wonder...

These include the Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium; the Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, France; the Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany; the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain.

Does this mean that there are more institutes available or is this an exhaustive list in an "include" sentence? I mean, I'd love to learn Portuguese or even a Nordic language. :biggrin:
Reply 299
Original post by Edwin Okli
No... I've realised ... finally that three or four years of Comp Sci is definitely not something that I wish to put myself through. Therefore, I chose Maths instead despite the insane competition. How do you think Imperial decides on which people to offer to with regards to Maths? They don't interview, they don't ask for UMS scores, they don't give out STEP offers (so they can't deliberately over-offer like Warwick). I wonder...

Well, they do give out STEP offers, usually a 1 from what I've seen sometimes (usually if you indicate you want to take it). I think the concensus is that you're more likely to get an offer if you indicate you're going to take STEP, and will be allowed in if you just missed your offer.

Um - AS-level results, GCSE results, references and personal statement, which I suppose is enough to go on...

Latest

Trending

Trending