The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherno_samba
Congrats. Did you apply for the Analytical scheme? Can I ask what score you passed with? (if they have released your feedback score)

Thanks

Hi, I don't think they have released a score yet, as my profile just says "passed", but I will post it on here when I receive one...and yes, I'm for the Analytical side, Statistics.

Good luck everybody else!!!
So not sure if I have a job now. I haven't heard back from my FSAC, but my housemate has and is through, but I know people who have been rejected as well. What do you think, will they be accepting/rejecting me any time soon?
Has anyone ever failed the e-tray on the basis of their re-tests?
For some reason I totally botched my numerical reasoning in the re-test and didn't finish about 5 or 6 (!) questions but in the home test I finished with time to spare.

I had it in my head that it didn't really matter about those tests but now I'm so worried. It's not like I cheated, I just did worse this time than last time. Will they just fail me or will they specifically contact me to say there was a discrepancy in my results?
Original post by ellejaytee
So not sure if I have a job now. I haven't heard back from my FSAC, but my housemate has and is through, but I know people who have been rejected as well. What do you think, will they be accepting/rejecting me any time soon?

Hey! Having a look at last year's thread seems to suggest that they set an initial "pass" mark, a relatively high one, and if you automatically beat that then you get an offer fairly quickly. Similarly if you automatically fail, you get told fairly quickly. If you're in the middle, then it seems like you have to wait until all of the (economists, say) have had their assessment centres and see how your score compares against theirs ...so I think not knowing yet is fairly good news, as it seems to confirm that you didn't get a partiularly low score. Hope that makes sense and I've inferred last years' results right!
I just heard back from my FSAC, it was a no unfortunately. They will send me my feedback once they worked through all the applications apparently. I fixated a little bit too much on getting into the fast stream I've barely applied for anything else...any suggestions?
Reply 785
Original post by petergambrill
I just heard back from my FSAC, it was a no unfortunately. They will send me my feedback once they worked through all the applications apparently. I fixated a little bit too much on getting into the fast stream I've barely applied for anything else...any suggestions?

There's still grad schemes open... I'm still applying and have been non stop since about November. I'm pretty sure Big 4/other accounting companies still have vacancies. There's still the NGDP open as well I think, that's kind of similar. Good luck!
Thanks but I'm not even vaguely interested in accounting or management, I want to use my economics degree in some kind of policy environment. I think my plan is apply for internships at think tanks, I did one at Civitas so I'll see if they'll have me back. Constantly stalk w4mp jobs and see if I can get anything interesting, mix it up with a bit of travelling while I have the time (never took a gap year). All this with the ultimate goal of re-applying next year with my feedback and a bit more experience in hand.

Good luck to everyone else :smile:
Reply 787
Original post by petergambrill
Thanks but I'm not even vaguely interested in accounting or management, I want to use my economics degree in some kind of policy environment. I think my plan is apply for internships at think tanks, I did one at Civitas so I'll see if they'll have me back. Constantly stalk w4mp jobs and see if I can get anything interesting, mix it up with a bit of travelling while I have the time (never took a gap year). All this with the ultimate goal of re-applying next year with my feedback and a bit more experience in hand.

Good luck to everyone else :smile:

Fair enough. I admire your commitment and focus on what you want. I think I probably need to get some more perspective in the grad application process... it really isn't that important. Haven't even done my e-tray for this yet!

As for w4mp I know two people who've done that: one got a job and the other didn't. It's a huge commitment to work without guarantee of a job afterwards.
Some of you may be interested in the blogpost on the Fast Stream posted here.
have my FSAC coming up this week.

has anyone got any advice on how to prepare?
Original post by cherno_samba
have my FSAC coming up this week.

has anyone got any advice on how to prepare?

Hi, just go through the guide on the website, I found it really helpful!! And think about the 6 competencies... the only thing you can really prepare is your interview.
Reply 791
For those of you interested in international development/working for DfID, DfID have just opened applications for their own independent graduate recruitment scheme - http://www.dfid.gov.uk/graduate
guys don't get too impatient on your etray ... still waiting here from a month ago myself to hear back from the twilight zone.
Just found out I got through to FSAC. And for those of you who are wondering I had an afternoon test on monday and found out yesterday morning at 8.15am. Its pretty quick...
Original post by Prince Rhyus
Some of you may be interested in the blogpost on the Fast Stream posted here.

If that's not your post PR, I'll eat my hat...thank you as always. :smile:
Original post by dannymccs
If that's not your post PR, I'll eat my hat...thank you as always. :smile:

Must have been written by a dragon.

Reply 796
I have my e-tray on the 24th. I don't think there's really anything I can prepare for, right? I'll do the practice e-tray tomorrow. Anyone have any tips? Cheers
Original post by chrisb23
I have my e-tray on the 24th. I don't think there's really anything I can prepare for, right? I'll do the practice e-tray tomorrow. Anyone have any tips? Cheers

Tips: timing is a bugger and the practise really wasnt much use in that respect as you dont get the full feel of absolutely time is running out that you do in the real thing.

It was hard, but just remember to focus all the way through.

A guy in my e-tray before it all started was reading pages and pages of notes but I have no idea why. One of the joys of the etray is that you really cant do much preperation or be coached for it. It was far better to just try to relax a little before it and then work on your conecntration during it.
Reply 798
Does anyone have any idea what the statistics are like overall for the number of people who get through the FSAC? I've got mine on monday for the Graduate scheme. Cheers!
Reply 799
Original post by RDCF12
Does anyone have any idea what the statistics are like overall for the number of people who get through the FSAC? I've got mine on monday for the Graduate scheme. Cheers!

no offense, but...have you heard of google?
http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/resource-library/civil-service-fast-stream-report

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending