The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
The important thing is to read beyond and around your subject, to show that you're capable of independent work and also to show that you're serious about your subject. Interviews are alright, really. It's just a chat. Usually, you can lead the interview a little bit to your own academic interests, and they'll usually pick up on your interests through your personal statement. So, if you say that you are interested in genetic disease or something, then they might ask you what and why it interests you, and then that starts a conversation. They will obviously have other questions too. So they might, I dunno, ask you to look at some pictures of cells, or a physical natural object, and ask you to try and work out what it is from its biological features. (Listen: http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/biology_interview.mp3, and see: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/media/interviewsinaction.html - maybe watch the beginning few minutes, but most relevant bit starting around 14mins). They'll just want to see whether you understand Biological concepts, and whether you're actually interested in them! Don't worry, and good luck!
Ty. I dont think there is an entrance exam.
I got AAB in my A Levels (Oxford offer for my course is AAA) and was told yesterday by someone from admissions that I definitely shouldn't be put off applying just because of my grades, because I got a long term illness at the end of Year 12 (and my AS results were much better). So I don't know how extenuating circumstances work out for you once you've applied, but she was insistent that they take them very seriously. Get a note from your doctor, and get it put in your reference.

Actually, does anyone know, if you have a doctors note, do you send them a letter with it or what?
Reply 383
Original post by nexttime
No, i'm sure that data is what it says it is - the average offer holder does have 91% A*. However, don't confuse 'average' with 'minimum'.

Does anyone know what shortcourses are counted as when working out percentage?

If you had 11 GCSEs as well as 3 shortcourses, would that be 14 GCSEs, 12.5 or would the shortcourses be disregarded altogether?
Original post by kanra

Original post by kanra
Does anyone know what shortcourses are counted as when working out percentage?

If you had 11 GCSEs as well as 3 shortcourses, would that be 14 GCSEs, 12.5 or would the shortcourses be disregarded altogether?

I doubt they look at them, half-GCSEs are a joke...if you have good grades in the 11 full ones that should be fine.
Reply 385
any point in applying with 5A*s and 5As at GCSE? (and A*AA prediciton)
for medicine by the way...
i know theres the whole 'unadvisable to apply with less than 6A*s' thing going on...

thanks for any advice! :smile:
Reply 386
Basically, I'm hoping to apply to study English at Oxford (2012 entry) I got solid GCSEs (10*s, 1.5As) and decent AS Results (3As and a B.) The B however, was in English. It's suspected by the English Dept. to be a marking error, but the remarks won't be in until after the 15th October deadline. Is there any point me applying, or will I be fobbed off immeadiately. Perhaps a Post A-Level application would be better. What are your thoughts?
Original post by cmas123
Basically, I'm hoping to apply to study English at Oxford (2012 entry) I got solid GCSEs (10*s, 1.5As) and decent AS Results (3As and a B.) The B however, was in English. It's suspected by the English Dept. to be a marking error, but the remarks won't be in until after the 15th October deadline. Is there any point me applying, or will I be fobbed off immeadiately. Perhaps a Post A-Level application would be better. What are your thoughts?

Post-A2 application sounds safest :smile:
Original post by cmas123

Original post by cmas123

You don't have anything to lose if you apply this year, then if you don't get in and get really good results in August trying again next year...so unless you're already planning to take a gap year you may as well apply for 2012 entry.
Reply 389
I received my AS results this summer (Chemistry: A, Maths: A, Physics: B, Biology: B) and am considering applying to Oxford to study chemistry, I'm predicted A*,A*,A,A respectively. I am also doing the EPQ and an OU course (SK185) this year.

GCSE's:
Additional science: A*
ICT: A*
RS: A*
Art: A*
Science: A
Maths: A
Business studies: A
Spanish: A
PE: B
English: B
English lit: C

I really want to study chemistry at Oxford but I'm concerned that I have only 4 A*'s and also a C at GCSE, my AS Physics and Biology were both borderline A/B. Is it worth me applying?
Original post by JackH43
I received my AS results this summer (Chemistry: A, Maths: A, Physics: B, Biology: B) and am considering applying to Oxford to study chemistry, I'm predicted A*,A*,A,A respectively. I am also doing the EPQ and an OU course (SK185) this year.

GCSE's:
Additional science: A*
ICT: A*
RS: A*
Art: A*
Science: A
Maths: A
Business studies: A
Spanish: A
PE: B
English: B
English lit: C

I really want to study chemistry at Oxford but I'm concerned that I have only 4 A*'s and also a C at GCSE, my AS Physics and Biology were both borderline A/B. Is it worth me applying?

Although you slightly underachieved at AS (in relation to Oxford standards anyway, you still did very well), your predictions exceed the standard offer and it's reasonable to assume that you will meet them.

You have 5 options. If I had your grades and really wanted to apply to Oxford for chemistry, I would. Even if you get rejected, at least you won't be thinking 'what if''.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd just go for it but don't get your heart set on it. You only live once might as well have a bash at it if you meet their standard requirements, which you do with them predictions!
Reply 392
Oxon is just another uni, go for it.
Reply 393
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Post-A2 application sounds safest :smile:

Is trying twice acceptable?
Original post by cmas123
Is trying twice acceptable?

It is, yes :yes:
Reply 395
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It is, yes :yes:

I think I may apply this year then, if there's nothing to lose.
Original post by cmas123
I think I may apply this year then, if there's nothing to lose.

Good idea. A good ELAT score and who knows?
Original post by alt31
any point in applying with 5A*s and 5As at GCSE? (and A*AA prediciton)
for medicine by the way...
i know theres the whole 'unadvisable to apply with less than 6A*s' thing going on...

thanks for any advice! :smile:

The facts are: BMAT and GCSEs are used pre-interview. About 30% get interviewed. Last year, 82% of people had better GCSEs than you. That is quite a hurdle to overcome with your BMAT result.

Vazzy B's stats also did some stats on applicants - i think i remember him failing to find a single successful applicant with less than 60%A*. I'll try to find that thread... EDIT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1331767 Clearly it has its limitations so i don't know how much weight you want to attach to it.

So its up to you if you apply or not. Your chances are certainly >0. How much greater though is unclear.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm wondering if my grades are up to scratch to apply for English at Oxford? I'm planning on asking my head of year tomorrow, but it'd be great if someone here could give me an indication of whether or not I'd realistically have a chance.

GCSE: A*A*A*AABBBBC (C in maths, A*A in lit and lang respectively)
AS: AAAB (A in lang, A in RS, B in art [dropped] and 200/200UMS in lit)
A2 (predicted): A*AA

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Original post by hannahwhelan
I'm wondering if my grades are up to scratch to apply for English at Oxford? I'm planning on asking my head of year tomorrow, but it'd be great if someone here could give me an indication of whether or not I'd realistically have a chance.

GCSE: A*A*A*AABBBBC (C in maths, A*A in lit and lang respectively)
AS: AAAB (A in lang, A in RS, B in art [dropped] and 200/200UMS in lit)
A2 (predicted): A*AA

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Sounds good! Start swotting for the ELAT (if it's something you can swot for. I've no idea what the ELAT entails :ninja: ) :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending