The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Offers/Rejection Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Received a conditional offer (36 points with 6, 6, 5 in HL) for archaeology a while back, and today received a letter from Van Mildert meaning that I've been reallocated there. I'm a bit confused at the moment as I really don't know much about the college - the biggest issue for me is aestethics, or in other words, the outlooks of the buildings which are really modern and thus not so much to my liking. Does anyone have anything to say on behalf of Van Mildert? :biggrin: I would like to visit one of the open days but am not sure whether I'll be able to as I live outside of the UK.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Rolina
Received a conditional offer (36 points with 6, 6, 5 in HL) for archaeology a while back, and today received a letter from Van Mildert meaning that I've been reallocated there. I'm a bit confused at the moment as I really don't know much about the college - the biggest issue for me is aestethics, or in other words, the outlooks of the buildings which are really modern and thus not so much to my liking. Does anyone have anything to say on behalf of Van Mildert? :biggrin: I would like to visit one of the open days but am not sure whether I'll be able to as I live outside of the UK.

I understand what you mean regarding buildings, as some prefer old and some prefer new. I made an Open application also for Archaeology, and was assigned St John's. What really matters is the college culture and whether that seems a good fit for you given you will be a member for 3 years. You will definately live in college for the first year only and maybe your 3rd.....colleges do not teach at Durham so academic delivery takes place elsewhere. If it is the right degree programme for you then a decision based upon aestethics, given what I have said above, would seem to risk the tail wagging the dog.

I will be open, I will not be living in college even during the first year, hence despite loving the older buildings, and having stayed in one of the "older" colleges for a week in 1986, the aestethics were never considered.

Good luck........
Reply 382
Original post by Fini*Flambee
I got an unconditional offer for PPE about two weeks ago :smile: Don't know my college yet but applied to University College.
By the way...I'm from Germany...any other Germans applying for PPE at Durham around?

I'm German too applying for PPE, Hatfield College. Havent heard anything back yet. :s-smilie: Do you think no news is good news???
Reply 383
Original post by S_123
Same here :smile: The Collingwood letter came yesterday so that's definitely my college :woo: And replying to your other post on the other thread, yes I was on the English at Oxford thread but I got a rejection :p: How about you? Is Durham your first choice?

Ditto! Just firmed Durham because the last Uni, Exeter too rejected me. Out of the five, only Durham has been the kind one.:tongue: I dont mind others, but I tell you, I've planned out my revenge on Oxford!!:wink:
Actually my condition is pretty easy, but since Durham is the only straw, I'm going to go all out in the exam next month..
Whats your condition? Hoping to see you at Durham!:biggrin:
Reply 384
Original post by jadeash1
I just got an offer for classics at St Aidan's, but I originally applied for St Chad's. Is St Aidan's really modern and far away from the city centre?

Hi, I'm in exactly the same situation haha :smile: Are you going to the open day next month? I'm looking forward to seeing what the college is actually like because I was a bit unsure about how big and modern it is :s-smilie:
Reply 385
Hey, has anyone had an offer for Business Management yet? Only waiting for them and Newcastle now!
So excited!!!!! I was in the libary sipping at my starbucks mocha, and studying for my ap religion assignment. My friend emailed me to ask if I had sent her my part of the work, when I saw an update from ucas. Yup! Got accepted to Durham for Philosophy , not sure what college yet. But I applied to Hatfield during my application process by randomly picking one. My conditions are to maintain an 80 average till the end of the year.
Finally got confirmation of my offer from Durham (I was told that I had an offer and sports scholarship - but that the full details of the offer would come through later). English - offer is D2 (English) and D3 D3 (History and Spanish)

I applied to St Chad's - but have no idea whether that will be my college or not - can anyone enlighten me as to when we are going to find out more details about our colleges?
Reply 388
Original post by oggdeferrer

Finally got confirmation of my offer from Durham (I was told that I had an offer and sports scholarship - but that the full details of the offer would come through later). English - offer is D2 (English) and D3 D3 (History and Spanish)
I applied to St Chad's - but have no idea whether that will be my college or not - can anyone enlighten me as to when we are going to find out more details about our colleges?

Congratulations for your offer! You should hear from whichever college you've got into within three weeks of getting your offer, whereby they'll invite you to stay overnight in the college and go to a department talk the day after :smile:
Anyone not an international heard about philo/pol offers?
Grey College, Durham on Eggheads right now! Yay that's where I am heading fingers crossed! :smile:
Original post by Nerdatious
Grey College, Durham on Eggheads right now! Yay that's where I am heading fingers crossed! :smile:

on eggheads?!
Reply 392
Original post by Bella-Christin
So excited!!!!! I was in the libary sipping at my starbucks mocha, and studying for my ap religion assignment. My friend emailed me to ask if I had sent her my part of the work, when I saw an update from ucas. Yup! Got accepted to Durham for Philosophy , not sure what college yet. But I applied to Hatfield during my application process by randomly picking one. My conditions are to maintain an 80 average till the end of the year.

congrats fellow canadian :smile:
Offer from York, Exeter and Sheffield. Rejection from
Durham despite getting predicted A*A*AA after getting AAAA at as plus an A grade epq. My personal statement was seen as very good by my teachers, I just don't know where I went wrong. Don't feel I have a chance at getting st Andrews...Am I wrong?
Original post by Barrack Obama
Offer from York, Exeter and Sheffield. Rejection from
Durham despite getting predicted A*A*AA after getting AAAA at as plus an A grade epq. My personal statement was seen as very good by my teachers, I just don't know where I went wrong. Don't feel I have a chance at getting st Andrews...Am I wrong?

I got rejected from Oxford and was very upset, however, yesterday I got an offer from Durham. So you never know, hopefully the news from st Andrews will be good.
Original post by JPDub
congrats fellow canadian :smile:

Thanks a lot! Did you apply to Durham as well?

Congrats!!!
Reply 397
Original post by Nerdatious

They failed epically.
Original post by S_123
I'm not sure yet it depends if my mum wants to come or not as she'll have to take time off but I'm probably looking at the Tuesday one. Are you going on your own or with someone? I'm actually really excited now :biggrin:

I'm going with my mammyo and dad :biggrin: but that's only because I'm local to the area so there's no extra expenses travelling. Looking forward to having a good browse round Durham and the university, I'm veerryy excited! :tongue:
Original post by Bella-Christin
I got rejected from Oxford and was very upset, however, yesterday I got an offer from Durham. So you never know, hopefully the news from st Andrews will be good.

I just don't get it anymore ...

Quick Reply

Latest