The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
My application has finally gone from college yesterday!
Fingers crossed I get an offer from Aber :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Has anyone heard from them who is applying for English and/or Psychology?

It's been nearly a month and haven't heard anything yet :frown:
Reply 142
Original post by marie2012
My application has finally gone from college yesterday!
Fingers crossed I get an offer from Aber :smile:

Same here, mine was sent today. Good luck :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by A123W
Same here, mine was sent today. Good luck :smile:

Reply 144
Good luck to all prospective students! I was in your position last year and let me put your minds at rest, now I'm at Aber, I'm glad I applied here :smile:
Just received an unconditional for Computer Science and the first reply of my choices. Took exactly 7 days from my UCAS being processed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by Jabberwox
Has anyone heard from them who is applying for English and/or Psychology?

It's been nearly a month and haven't heard anything yet :frown:

English - track updated with the offer 8 days after the application was sent off. They say they take up to 4 weeks so maybe you'll hear soon
Reply 147
Just got an offer for Zoology - 300 points :smile: Took exactly 2 weeks :smile:
Original post by ysgwrn

Original post by ysgwrn
Conditional for English lit and creative writing.

Anyone know if we have to reply to the offer before applying for the scholarship or do you wait for the results in March? Bit concerned that waiting will mean being way down the list for accommodation. Seem to remember reading somewhere rooms were allocated in the basis of how quick you replied to something???

Hi. You can apply for the scholarship before you reply to your offer. Applications to sit the scholarship exams close at the end of this month. Full details at http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/scholarships/
Original post by The Optimistic Ram

Original post by The Optimistic Ram
Congratulations for your offer!! As you say, fingers crossed that you get the grades you need :smile:

Here's hoping for a quick offer! :smile:

That's another huge selling point for me. Everybody I met on the open day went out of their way specially for me. Such as when I arrived at the accommodation office the night before as I'd booked a overnight stay, I was whisked away by a member of the site team in his van and driven all of 60 seconds then shown where everything was. Then the private bus ride down to the seafront accommodation by the friendly bus driver, I love Aber!!!

Congratulations!! :smile:

Hi everyone. Just in case you weren't aware, the University holds a series of visiting days for applicants. You can meet staff and chat to current students. You can also get a better idea of the department's learning... environment. Also, if you travel by rail or bus, 100% of your traveling costs will be covered. We would advise you to come on a Visiting Day, it will definitely give you a good idea of what studying in your department will be like. Here’s a link to the Visiting Day pages, if you need more information http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/visiting-days/
Original post by ysgwrn
English - track updated with the offer 8 days after the application was sent off. They say they take up to 4 weeks so maybe you'll hear soon

It's been over a month now :s-smilie: either I'll hear soon or I've been put on a 'Maybe' pile or something... haha -_-
Original post by Jabberwox
It's been over a month now :s-smilie: either I'll hear soon or I've been put on a 'Maybe' pile or something... haha -_-

If it's been over a month already then they are seriously considering having you.
Original post by ifstatement
If it's been over a month already then they are seriously considering having you.

Meaning they are seriously considering me for the course or they're having to really think about if they want me or not? :tongue:

It doesn't matter particularly, because I've got 4 offers... Aber's my last one. I just want a full house... :tongue:
I got my offer from Aberystwyth today. Not at all happy as they want a lot more than what they ask for on UCAS.

Got an offer for Zoology with 32 IB points, including a 5 in Chemistry and Biology.

On UCAS they want 28 and only specify a 5 in biology HL but nothing about Chemistry.

Really not impressed, wanted the uni as an insurance. Now not going to even bother visiting.

I know I sound stroppy but I am SO annoyed at their offer... if they didn't like me enough to offer me 28 points they shouldn't have offered me a aplce at all. I wouldn't have applied if they asked for 32 points to begin with.
Reply 154
The reason there is a discrepancy in what was asked for on UCAS and what they are asking you for in the offer is due to them having to seriously revise the entry requirements for many courses for September 2012 onwards.

This year they made way more offers than they had accommodation for (they guarantee all first years accommodation) and as everyone met or exceeded their offers, they were legally obliged to take them all. That's why there's something like 400 students in bunk beds. Therefore, they've had to scale up the requirements for many courses in order to try and control the numbers a bit more. It looks like UCAS hasn't been updated or that they haven't told UCAS to update their literature.
Original post by Declan01
The reason there is a discrepancy in what was asked for on UCAS and what they are asking you for in the offer is due to them having to seriously revise the entry requirements for many courses for September 2012 onwards.

This year they made way more offers than they had accommodation for (they guarantee all first years accommodation) and as everyone met or exceeded their offers, they were legally obliged to take them all. That's why there's something like 400 students in bunk beds. Therefore, they've had to scale up the requirements for many courses in order to try and control the numbers a bit more. It looks like UCAS hasn't been updated or that they haven't told UCAS to update their literature.

Well in my eyes that's unacceptable. I wouldn't have applied if they'd asked for 32 points, so if that's the case I've been seriously mis-led IMO.

I don't think that's the case anyway... my A level friend applying for the same course got offered what they asked for on UCAS, I think they just didn't like my application very much.
Reply 156
Just had a conditional offer from Aber!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 157
After 9 days... I have been made an offer for history!! Wooohooo I'm sooo happy! My offer is to pass the access course with 50% merit at level 3 (I am doing an access course in humanities). I am 99.9% sure Aber is my first choice :smile: So HAPPY!!!!
Reply 158
Conditional offer for Modern History & Politics! So happy!
Original post by deadsmurfette
Well in my eyes that's unacceptable. I wouldn't have applied if they'd asked for 32 points, so if that's the case I've been seriously mis-led IMO.

I don't think that's the case anyway... my A level friend applying for the same course got offered what they asked for on UCAS, I think they just didn't like my application very much.

Unfortunately, many applicants don't realise that what's put on UCAS and uni websites isn't the offer universities have to give. Its just a typical offer, and plenty of people end up coming on here confused and annoyed just like you when they don't get given it! I had the same thing for another university when I applied, but its just how it goes I'm afraid :frown: One thing you should do is ring up aber though - they may lower it when you explain that you have no chance in meeting the offer they've given you. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest