The Student Room Group

How to treat homeless/beggars?

Scroll to see replies

Whatever you do, don't give any money to child beggars. There was a recent Panorama documentary about them, and if its accurate, then these children are being exploited by their minders. If no-one gave them any money, they wouldn't do it.

I do feel sorry for homeless people though. Remember, often they became homeless FIRST. BEFORE taking to drink and/or drugs. Who knows? Wouldn't you drink at least if you had to live on the streets?

I think if you don't want to give them anything, just politely say 'no, sorry'.

I've heard you shouldn't buy them food, because they might have allergies, be vegan, vegetarian or only able to eat Halal food- you don't know.

Theres probably no harm in giving them a bit of loose change.

BTW, I prefer people who beg to people who make up a bullplopp story to try and get you to give them a large amount of money. There is hardly ever a real circumstance when you'd need to borrow money off a stranger.

There was a thread on here a while ago about a man in a wheelchair who claimed he'd just been discharged from hospital- and needed money for the train fare home. Complete con.

There used to be a young boy in my area who went up to strangers crying and crying, almost hysterical, saying he'd lost his bus pass (he was a good actor) and needed to go back to Slough.

Many people fell for it and gave him money.
Reply 41
Original post by paddy__power
I find it incredibly hard to simply walk past many homeless people as I have been briefly homeless myself.

:frown:

What happened if you don't mind me asking.

:hugs:
Reply 42
You know, even if they are going to use it for alcohol so what? If I know that I'm going to wake up icy and alone under a bridge the next morning I would want to bloody well numb the pain as well. Obviously it isn't helping them, but let's be frank here giving them some food isn't really helping them either. It's all very well for us to do our little good deed of the day and walk away feeling grand but they don't get to walk away until somebody picks them up. So much more needs to be done.

You're a good person really :h:
Reply 43
Original post by Elissabeth

There used to be a young boy in my area who went up to strangers crying and crying, almost hysterical, saying he'd lost his bus pass (he was a good actor) and needed to go back to Slough.

What made you think he's acting?

Well, anyway, I'd fell for it and I won't mind. Maybe he really doesn't have the money or he has a low income parent? We don't know that now do we? As long as he returns home safety, then that's fine.

*Unless he's going back to the people that are making him beg then :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RJ555
In my local area beg gars on the street aren't a very common sight, however whenever I travel to the nearest city I often get asked for change. I feel terrible saying no or ignoring them, its really not something I feel comfortable with.

I'm cautious of giving them change in how they might use it (drugs/alcohol/things that may make there situation worse). Should I:

-Offer to buy them some food?
-Help them find info about local homeless chariti

es/soup kitchens/shelters?
-Just give them change.

I obviously want to stay safe but want to at least help them a little bit. What should I be doing (apart from volunteering for shelters)?

I also feel guilty. especially the other day when it was tipping it down and he was shivering lying on the floor. But I do have some anxieties regarding giving away change. What if they see something in my pocket that they like? such as a phone or ipod and try and steal it from me..
what if they recognise me and keep on harrassing me every time I walk past them?
What if they have some sort of infection that they can give me when I touch their hand as the money is being handed over,due to poor hygeine?
also they could just put it all on booze and drugs because if they were that desperate why aren't they in homeless shelters?
so on balance I avoid giving change to beggars and just say sorry I've got no money.
Nobody has an obligation to give, it is just a shame that as a society we are so reluctant to in many cases. Life goes on though :smile:

Yeah that's true, (though the Inspector in the inspector calls says we do lol), but yeah tbh there are still many decent people such as yourself out there- so all I can say is keep up the good work! :smile:
Original post by kka25
:frown:

What happened if you don't mind me asking.

:hugs:

Original post by kka25
You're a good person really :h:

Long story which revolves around rent! Thanks :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by RJ555

Original post by RJ555
In my local area beg gars on the street aren't a very common sight, however whenever I travel to the nearest city I often get asked for change. I feel terrible saying no or ignoring them, its really not something I feel comfortable with.

I'm cautious of giving them change in how they might use it (drugs/alcohol/things that may make there situation worse). Should I:

-Help them find info about local homeless charities/soup kitchens/shelters?
-Just give them change.

I obviously want to stay safe but want to at least help them a little bit. What should I be doing (apart from volunteering for shelters)?

A few times when I have been with my Mum and we've seen homeless people on the street my Mum will go to the nearest water fields or cafe and buy them a hot sausage roll or pastie and a drink.
Just do that if I were you
I give them change if they are polite and amicable. What they spend it on is not my concern and I'm certainly not about to get on the booze/drugs pedestal given that I myself would probably have spent the money on getting smashed had I not have given it away.
Reply 49
look right through them that is what i do
Reply 50
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
It's not called guilt, it's called empathy. Try it some time.

It's not called empathy, it's called sympathy.
Original post by tehforum
It's not called empathy, it's called sympathy.

No, I meant the word empathy. If I meant the word sympathy I would have said sympathy. What a strange post. :s-smilie:
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
No, I meant the word empathy. If I meant the word sympathy I would have said sympathy. What a strange post. :s-smilie:

It's only empathy if you're homeless/have been homeless yourself. Otherwise it's sympathy.
Reply 53
Original post by RJ555

-Help them find info about local homeless charities/soup kitchens/shelters?
-Just give them change.

I think so long as you're decent towards them any of the above things you said are fine. Sometimes I give them change knowing they will spend it on booze, makes me think well at least they'll get a decent night's sleep and hopefully not feel the cold so much, especially around this time of year. I know that's not very good long-term thinking but there you go.
Reply 54
You know, even if they are going to use it for alcohol so what? If I know that I'm going to wake up icy and alone under a bridge the next morning I would want to bloody well numb the pain as well. Obviously it isn't helping them, but let's be frank here giving them some food isn't really helping them either. It's all very well for us to do our little good deed of the day and walk away feeling grand but they don't get to walk away until somebody picks them up. So much more needs to be done.

+ rep!.

I've given money and bought the big issue before now.I cant just walk past when another person needs my help, its just not me.I can go home to my warm house with its full cupboards and lie in my warm bed, some people arent so fortunate.

Anyone can end up homeless....
A lot of them try and feed an addiction, so it's hard to help.

Last week some guy was begging outside Mc Donald's so he could buy some chips, I bought him some chips with my meal and he didn't want them, the limey git. He wanted the money.

Another example - I was with my dad and some woman came upto us, all scraggy. She was a prostitute, she begged for money because she was 'starving' and my dad said "Look, you can come with us to the shop over there and i'll get you a sandwich but I'm not giving you money". To which she started swearing and calling him a dick.

So I think the best thing to do now is buy the Big Issue. Help homeless who want to help themselves.
Original post by kka25
What made you think he's acting?

Well, anyway, I'd fell for it and I won't mind. Maybe he really doesn't have the money or he has a low income parent? We don't know that now do we? As long as he returns home safety, then that's fine.

*Unless he's going back to the people that are making him beg then :eek:

Because he went up to my Mum once and did it- and she didn't have any money, but was going to drive him to Slough, when she said this he very quickly lost interest.

He then tried the same thing, the exact same story with my Dad.

So yes, he was definitely a con artist.
Original post by Blind Ferret
A lot of them try and feed an addiction, so it's hard to help.

Last week some guy was begging outside Mc Donald's so he could buy some chips, I bought him some chips with my meal and he didn't want them, the limey git. He wanted the money.

Another example - I was with my dad and some woman came upto us, all scraggy. She was a prostitute, she begged for money because she was 'starving' and my dad said "Look, you can come with us to the shop over there and i'll get you a sandwich but I'm not giving you money". To which she started swearing and calling him a dick.

So I think the best thing to do now is buy the Big Issue. Help homeless who want to help themselves.

But how do you know that the people selling the Big Issue aren't just using the money they make to buy alcohol/drugs?
Original post by Besakt
I use to give money but watching that programme on BBC panorama made me a bit sceptical about what they actually do with the money so now I either just buy the Big Issue and find them a charity.

The one about Romanian child beggars who pretend to be Muslims?
Reply 59
Original post by Elissabeth
The one about Romanian child beggars who pretend to be Muslims?

Yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending