The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^^^^ fk them how about CO-OP?
Reply 781
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
^^^^ fk them how about CO-OP?

They wouldn't quote me and my twin brother on the same car (which is what we really need)
But that aside, I can get the quote down to about 3500 if I say my mum is doing more miles than me. But I just feel 3500 for a black box is ridiculous.
Original post by Mouth
They wouldn't quote me and my twin brother on the same car (which is what we really need)
But that aside, I can get the quote down to about 3500 if I say my mum is doing more miles than me. But I just feel 3500 for a black box is ridiculous.

Yea, I'm on 1300 plus for a blackbox and even if it's cheapest quote I could get insured on, I hate the thought of having this **** watch everything I do.

What are you putting on your quote? You putting your confident for everything, arrive appointments 10 mins early? what you put as your occupation? Don't put student, put cashier/retailing.

Say 0 to carrying any passengers, won't drive after 11 - 6 am,

Put your mum on, do the exact same things, won't drive after 11- 6, won't carry any passengers, 5 for confidence etc, and put locked in garage, and put she will be driving 10,000 - 12,000 miles per year.

Same for your bro too, put you two as driving 0 - 1000 miles per year.

let me know the new quote.
Reply 783
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
Yea, I'm on 1300 plus for a blackbox and even if it's cheapest quote I could get insured on, I hate the thought of having this **** watch everything I do.

What are you putting on your quote? You putting your confident for everything, arrive appointments 10 mins early? what you put as your occupation? Don't put student, put cashier/retailing.

Say 0 to carrying any passengers, won't drive after 11 - 6 am,

Put your mum on, do the exact same things, won't drive after 11- 6, won't carry any passengers, 5 for confidence etc, and put locked in garage, and put she will be driving 10,000 - 12,000 miles per year.

Same for your bro too, put you two as driving 0 - 1000 miles per year.

Edit: Am I still classed as main driver if I say my mum is doing 10k yet I am only doing 1k?

let me know the new quote.

I'll try without my bro as they refuse to quote with two young drivers on there.

I'll try the rest, but I don't want to lie about everything because I know in the even of a claim it wouldn't be valid insurance. Like I have garage so that's fine, but wont it be obvious I wont be driving 1000 a year and my mum is never going to be driving 10k

I need to say driving after 11 occasionally too, as I will probs drive home from parties once every now and then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 784
Original post by Mouth
I'll try without my bro as they refuse to quote with two young drivers on there.

I'll try the rest, but I don't want to lie about everything because I know in the even of a claim it wouldn't be valid insurance. Like I have garage so that's fine, but wont it be obvious I wont be driving 1000 a year and my mum is never going to be driving 10k

I need to say driving after 11 occasionally too, as I will probs drive home from parties once every now and then.

You should put yourself as 2000 miles at least, You're only covering the named driver for those miles. It's like saying you'll drive it daily to the shops and small trips but your named driver will be doing a few trips a month but are of higher milage routes. :smile:

BTW if you're able to pay the cost up front try Elephant insurance as they were pretty cheap for a Ford KA when I was doing quotes.
Reply 785
Original post by +Adam+
You should put yourself as 2000 miles at least, You're only covering the named driver for those miles. It's like saying you'll drive it daily to the shops and small trips but your named driver will be doing a few trips a month but are of higher milage routes. :smile:

BTW if you're able to pay the cost up front try Elephant insurance as they were pretty cheap for a Ford KA when I was doing quotes.

Oh true, cheers for the advice.
Just rang elephant, they said they wouldn't quote me because I'm 17..
Reply 786
Original post by Mouth
Oh true, cheers for the advice.
Just rang elephant, they said they wouldn't quote me because I'm 17..

Ah that's crap :frown: I wonder if that's why you are getting high quotes with the co-op? Out of curiosity you could try changing your age to 20 and see if it reduces a lot. (Obviously you can't use that quote if it is :biggrin:)
Original post by +Adam+
Ah that's crap :frown: I wonder if that's why you are getting high quotes with the co-op? Out of curiosity you could try changing your age to 20 and see if it reduces a lot. (Obviously you can't use that quote if it is :biggrin:)

Mate theres a problem with the site, its been a bug in the last few days, for example two weeks ago i done a quote and i got 1100, when i refreshed it the next day it went to 2500, then the day after back down to 1100. Its a system error so relax lol

Now on monday when i done a new quote i had 1200, but when i refreshed it it came to 2600. Thers a little problem with the site, system error. Dont worry :smile: Im just waiting til its sorted so i can get the 1200 quote paid for.
Reply 788
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Mate theres a problem with the site, its been a bug in the last few days, for example two weeks ago i done a quote and i got 1100, when i refreshed it the next day it went to 2500, then the day after back down to 1100. Its a system error so relax lol

Now on monday when i done a new quote i had 1200, but when i refreshed it it came to 2600. Thers a little problem with the site, system error. Dont worry :smile: Im just waiting til its sorted so i can get the 1200 quote paid for.

On what details are you getting it to 1200? Like, as a named driver or..

I can't really get it anywhere near that without lying completely.
if you are putting as driving after 11 then this will affect you GREATLY. try doing the quote without driving at 11 - 6 and see how it goes.
Original post by Mouth
On what details are you getting it to 1200? Like, as a named driver or..

I can't really get it anywhere near that without lying completely.

Nope im as first driver, not garaged, been passed 14 months, zero NCB, and i have two named drivers, one is 45 other is 72.

Mate, your getting high quotes because the system is F**** atm, im getting high quotes atm too, i had 1200 the other, today exact details 2600. It happend to me 2 weeks ago too so dont worry, just check the quote thing in like a few days or a week and u'l prob get less than me cause i live in a F rated postcode (F^*** chavs)
I'm getting 1400 for a 2.0 diesel, lol
Reply 792
Do any named drivers have to present during the installation of the box?
Reply 793
Original post by MrWhosane
I'm getting 1400 for a 2.0 diesel, lol

Haha that's annoying. Guess you aren't a 17 y/o boy who passed yesterday though?
Reply 794
Original post by emznjav
Do any named drivers have to present during the installation of the box?

No, you just need both parts of their license. :smile:
Reply 795
Where do they normally fix the box?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 796
Original post by Mouth
Haha that's annoying. Guess you aren't a 17 y/o boy who passed yesterday though?

I got a quote for when i turn 18, as this is when my money finally gets released. £1700. That's based on me having been passed for a month. Haven't passed yet though. That's on a 1.4L Civic costing £4700, as the main driver. 2 named drivers, my mom and uncle. Mom has had 1 non fault crash in past 5 years, where the insurer paid out nothing, so only marginally increased it. Also that's saying i park on the road. When i don't but its not a drive. Its more of a residential car park. No one can drive down into it, as its pretty well hidden. Expect the odd kid comes over from the park right next to it to fetch a ball. So annoying they don't have more options for it. From on road to driveway it goes up £200. If i lived in a better area, it would go down to £1200 for my nan's or £980 for my mates. Can't think why on your own yours is so high.

Try giving NFU Mutual a ring I've heard they beat Co-Op for young drivers in some cases. I haven't tried first hand yet as I would think I'm messing them around as I can't actually take the insurance out at the moment. Good luck and let us know if you do get a quote from NFU.
Reply 797
Original post by emznjav
Where do they normally fix the box?

In a convenient place, that won't affect the car or its looks. Normally under the steering column I think. If its able to go there that is.
Reply 798
Original post by Jaayson
In a convenient place, that won't affect the car or its looks. Normally under the steering column I think. If its able to go there that is.

Don't want it to be placed anywhere that it will affect my driving such as my knee hitting it all the time etc.

Original post by Mouth

Guessed wrong. I'm 17, and my test is in two weeks. I'm using my work address for my insurance which is a category B postcode, and I work nights so my car will be there overnight, so my insurance is cheapppp :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending