The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by MrWhosane
No... What gave you that idea. Your fully comp as any driver unless the policy is TP/FT, which CoOp isn't.

When im a named driver and have my dad as main driver, im getting quotes pretty cheap at coop aboit 1800 on a polo. Does that mean im full comp on it as my dad is aswel? So whats the difference between main driver and named then?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Main driver is the main driver of the car. The difference is that the main driver earns No Claims Bonus each year. Named driver doesn't.
Reply 982
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Im in exact same position as you, 3 weeks back i had a quote saved of 1100, now i check it comes up as £2600. :frown:

I'm gutted. As I have to wait until I'm 18 for my savings to get released and also my Grandparents have given each grandchild £2000 for their 18th. After finding out about Co-Op, I figured i could look at much nicer cars. I set my sights on a Honda Civic 06-07 for around £5000, with Insurance coming in at £1800. i'd be able to pay this outright. Now as the prices look like they've jumped by a lot. I'd have to get a worse car, and i'd rather pay extra and get insurance without a box.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jaayson
I'm gutted. As I have to wait until I'm 18 for my savings to get released and also my Grandparents have given each grandchild £2000 for their 18th. After finding out about Co-Op, I figured i could look at much nicer cars. I set my sights on a Honda Civic 06-07 for around £5000, with Insurance coming in at £1800. i'd be able to pay this outright. Now as the prices look like they've jumped by a lot. I'd have to get a worse car, and i'd rather pay extra and get insurance without a box.

They've just taken the complete piss. £1100 was so easy to pay for car insurance, now its £2600 (for a box insurance?). Wtf?!

Im not sure i quite like the box idea anymore. I done a quote on confused.com for a Corsa. Me as main driver, im 18, and i live in quite a high risk area. Came up as £1552.90 Fully Comp with Elephant.co.uk , looks like im going to have to go with them :biggrin:
Main driver is the main driver of the car. The difference is that the main driver earns No Claims Bonus each year. Named driver doesn't.

Whats the insurance hunt saying? Any luck?
Reply 985

I dont mind about the NCD as long as am fully comp as named driver. Getting pretty cheap quotes then under 2k.

Original post by hasm
I dont mind about the NCD as long as am fully comp as named driver. Getting pretty cheap quotes then under 2k.

Ofcourse u'l be fully comp. And up to you about the NCD, it would be really worth it when you get your own policy, otherwise your still going to be paying high rates this time next year. Go for it.
Reply 987
Ofcourse u'l be fully comp. And up to you about the NCD, it would be really worth it when you get your own policy, otherwise your still going to be paying high rates this time next year. Go for it.

Coop offers their named drivers upto 3years NCD but i think you have to be over 21 and only when your insuring with coop. Well next i should be at uni so have the loans will help me pay it and i can be main driver

Reply 988
I had a minor accident in the first week of my policy... I've reviewed all discounts at every interval. And now paying a hefty £32.09 a month!

Drive as if there is no box, you drive better, it's not as sensitive as you think!

Reply 989
Just had my box fitted took 20 mins to install. How sensitive are these boxes ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emznjav

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for your insurance and what car was it? Thanks

Reply 991
Why do they require a deposit?

I was quoted 450 pounds for a deposit and im just wandering what is it actually for?

and once you pay the deposit can you ask that your first monthly installment for the insurance be taken about a month later? or do they take the first installment out when the deposit is taken aswell?
Original post by Donette93
Why do they require a deposit?

I was quoted 450 pounds for a deposit and im just wandering what is it actually for?

and once you pay the deposit can you ask that your first monthly installment for the insurance be taken about a month later? or do they take the first installment out when the deposit is taken aswell?

I think the deposit covers the first month, the last month, and the optional extra's, and the interest charge. If you work it out ..

And yeah after u pay the deposit, they take the first payment the month after your policy starts, hope that helps
Reply 993
They've just taken the complete piss. £1100 was so easy to pay for car insurance, now its £2600 (for a box insurance?). Wtf?!

Im not sure i quite like the box idea anymore. I done a quote on confused.com for a Corsa. Me as main driver, im 18, and i live in quite a high risk area. Came up as £1552.90 Fully Comp with Elephant.co.uk , looks like im going to have to go with them :biggrin:

I've been told to look at Elephant, will definitely give them a try, just a case of looking around. I would go as a named driver, but I want to build up my no claims as once I'm at uni; I'll hardly be able to be a named driver on my moms policy if I'm at Uni and so is the car.
Original post by emznjav

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not very.

Except to night time driving. That's brutal.

I find it hard to get 3 on acceleration and braking.
Original post by Jaayson
I've been told to look at Elephant, will definitely give them a try, just a case of looking around. I would go as a named driver, but I want to build up my no claims as once I'm at uni; I'll hardly be able to be a named driver on my moms policy if I'm at Uni and so is the car.

Go for it, let me know how it goes okay ..
I took my car into the garage yesterday. Had some problems with the clutch so the mechanic took it for a test drive this morning; he must have driven super carefully because I've got all 5s for today :biggrin:

No consolation in the wallet though :frown:
Reply 997
ive had my box on for about a month now, and im needing a new car engine as this one has catalyst problem or something what do i say to the insurance will this affect the box with the new engine change?
Reply 998
Original post by Bigjosh
ive had my box on for about a month now, and im needing a new car engine as this one has catalyst problem or something what do i say to the insurance will this affect the box with the new engine change?

Is that not ridiculously pricey? :redface:

As long as the car specification doesn't change (so if it was a 1.2L engine it can't go up to a 1.3L :tongue:) you should be fine.
Reply 999
Original post by wibletg
Is that not ridiculously pricey? :redface:

As long as the car specification doesn't change (so if it was a 1.2L engine it can't go up to a 1.3L :tongue:) you should be fine.

but will i have to still ring them cos my engine now has 95 thousand on clock and new engine has 20 thousand

Latest

Trending

Trending