The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by SFeet
**Question about getting insured with co-operative young drivers**
What do the engineers look for when they come to install the black box? They said they want proof of NCD, driving licences and vehicle registration but do they look for things about my house such as if I have a garage etc.? And is this all I need for when they come regarding vehicle registration 'VRD)/Log Book/V5 Document'? I have no idea on what these documents are, will I get them when I buy the car?

Can't help you with the rest of it as I don't have a black box, but the V5 is the document you get when you buy the car.

The previous owner will give you a temporary slip that comes of the back of the original document, they will then post the old document away with your details on it and the full document will appear on your doorstep in the next few months or so.

Very easy, all instructions are written on the document. I would imagine the new keeper slip will be sufficient.
Reply 1381
Original post by SFeet
What do the engineers look for when they come to install the black box? They said they want proof of NCD, driving licences and vehicle registration but do they look for things about my house such as if I have a garage etc.? And is this all I need for when they come regarding vehicle registration 'VRD)/Log Book/V5 Document'? I have no idea on what these documents are, will I get them when I buy the car?

they will not look at if you have a garage or anything, he didn't with me as they are just a security installation company.

When you buy the car (if used) you will get a tiny slip torn from the old V5, this is like your temporary V5 until your proper one gets delivered (2 weeks ish) ... then when you sell your car you tear of the tiny slip for the new owner and so on....

When the person comes they only need that small slip if you have not yet received your full v5.
Reply 1382
Original post by ak_93
they will not look at if you have a garage or anything, he didn't with me as they are just a security installation company.

When you buy the car (if used) you will get a tiny slip torn from the old V5, this is like your temporary V5 until your proper one gets delivered (2 weeks ish) ... then when you sell your car you tear of the tiny slip for the new owner and so on....

When the person comes they only need that small slip if you have not yet received your full v5.

So the previous owner will give me a small slip (temporary V5), they then post the V5 with my details to DVLA?, DVLA delivers the full V5 to me? What if co-operative ask for the full V5 and I still haven't received it yet?
Reply 1383
Original post by SFeet
So the previous owner will give me a small slip (temporary V5), they then post the V5 with my details to DVLA?, DVLA delivers the full V5 to me? What if co-operative ask for the full V5 and I still haven't received it yet?

that is correct.
the engineer only needs to see the small temporary one
Co-op will then email you ( i got my email today, just a few hours after the engineer went) asking you to upload your full V5 (They dont specify a time frame ) - so i will upload the full v5 when it arrives.
Reply 1384
Original post by ak_93
that is correct.
the engineer only needs to see the small temporary one
Co-op will then email you ( i got my email today, just a few hours after the engineer went) asking you to upload your full V5 (They dont specify a time frame ) - so i will upload the full v5 when it arrives.

upload where? and how long did it take for your V5 to arrive?
Reply 1385
Original post by SFeet
upload where? and how long did it take for your V5 to arrive?

Here is the email

"Your Co-operative Young Driver Insurance: Missing documentation
Thank you once again for choosing The Co-operative Insurance to insure your vehicle. I hope you are happy with your Co-operative Young Driver Insurance policy and are keeping up to date with hints and tips via your customer dashboard?
Whilst we were able to install the Smartbox in your vehicle, as you gave us the minimum documentation required, the following documentation is still required:
Full Vehicle Registration Document (VRD/Log book/V5)

You can upload the required documentation via your dashboard document store. Your document store homepage has instructions on how to do this.

To find your driving dashboard simply click the link www.drivingdashboard.com/cooperative You can then log in using the password which was provided by e-mail when you took the policy out.

If the required documentation is not received by 14/05/2013 your policy may have to be cancelled. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our Customer Service department on 0845 602 9834* as a matter of urgency. "

just saw the 14/05/2013 (So basically you have a month) but, I still have not got mine.(only been 2 weeks since i got the car)
The back of the temporary slip states:
you should receive your registration certification within 4 weeks of the registered keeper telling us. if you do not .....fill in a v62....
You'll get the V5 when you buy the car, yes. The engineer generally doesn't give a rat's arse where the car is. I had my box installed at my girlfriend's house, a mile away from where the car was insured to.

If there's anything you don't have when they come, you'll be able to scan and upload it using your Driving Dashboard.
Original post by SFeet
Reply 1387
Hi

Anyone had the copp young driver insurance for thier second year. If so how is it renewed??? And do they take and pictures or documents from you as they did the first time??

thanks
Does a second driver get any NCB with young co-op?
Also if I make myself as first driver and my dad as second will it be similar price and can start earning NCB at 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

Just had a good read of this thread, I'm 21 (22 next month) and just passed my test a few days ago. Had looked online on a considerable number of sites for car insurance with and without a black box and cheapest quotes I had were around £5K, not good! I live in a bad postcode area and don't have anyone who could be a named driver on my policy in my family (and obviously no NCD yet) so stuck with high quotes!

I'd never heard of this insurance until yesterday but managed to get a decent quote on this compared to the others, even though it still sounds super expensive compared to what most are getting on here, but it seems like it's the right kind of insurance for me as it is affordable now compared to others where i'd have to save up for a good 6 months before even considering looking at getting a car which is a pain!
It seems like most on here have found the insurance reasonable and rewarding if you are a good driver and I think the advice and reviews on here are definitely making me lean towards getting this insurance!
Reply 1390
Is anyone finding it hard to get their acceleration / breaking score above 4! im not sure if its because i am not changing gear smoothly or something.
Reply 1391
Original post by Ashh94
Hi

Anyone had the copp young driver insurance for thier second year. If so how is it renewed??? And do they take and pictures or documents from you as they did the first time??

thanks

Sorry for the late reply - you basically don't do anything if you want it renewed, you get a letter through from them and that's it - they don't need pictures OR documents off you because they already have them :tongue:

Original post by ak_93
Is anyone finding it hard to get their acceleration / breaking score above 4! im not sure if its because i am not changing gear smoothly or something.

It'll be your braking probably :tongue: just try and slow into hazards a bit earlier/smoother - it worked for me.
Reply 1392
Hey thanks for the reply Wiblegt. Greatly appreciated. Was your renew quote what you were expecting?? Did it increase or decrease. And when does the renewed quote come in the post?
Anyone managed to get any NCB as second driver ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1394
Original post by Ashh94
Hey thanks for the reply Wiblegt. Greatly appreciated. Was your renew quote what you were expecting?? Did it increase or decrease. And when does the renewed quote come in the post?

Far cheaper than what I was expecting - I was doing quotes as a new customer with the same information (1 year ncb, 19y/o, same car, same licence held etc) and it was coming out at nearly double what I ended up paying.

The renewal came 2 weeks before it was due.
Does anyone else find that the sensitivity of their measurements quite often change dramatically?

When I first had the black box installed, all my speeds would never be over a 3 even when I was doing 5mph under the speed limit. Now it seems to have adjusted to become lenient even if I accidentally speed by about 10mph still giving me 5s or occasionally no less than a 4.5.

My acceleration and braking score has now adjusted so that regularly get a score of around 0.98 when I know I am braking in good time etc, as it even happens on little journeys. I am never able to get a score above 3 which annoys me as well. Perhaps it is me but from what I can tell and what others have said, they don't feel like I brake too late or accelerate too quickly.
Reply 1396
does any1 know if co op will insure me on a 1.8L ??
Original post by Sr78
does any1 know if co op will insure me on a 1.8L ??

They'll give. You a quote but your insurance will be slightly higher premium

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1398
Original post by Joshalos
Does anyone else find that the sensitivity of their measurements quite often change dramatically?

When I first had the black box installed, all my speeds would never be over a 3 even when I was doing 5mph under the speed limit. Now it seems to have adjusted to become lenient even if I accidentally speed by about 10mph still giving me 5s or occasionally no less than a 4.5.

My acceleration and braking score has now adjusted so that regularly get a score of around 0.98 when I know I am braking in good time etc, as it even happens on little journeys. I am never able to get a score above 3 which annoys me as well. Perhaps it is me but from what I can tell and what others have said, they don't feel like I brake too late or accelerate too quickly.

Hmm..I've always noticed right from when I got the insurance about a year ago, that the speeding thing was quite lenient - going over by about 8-10 mph still gives a 5 score. However, i've never ever achieved anything above 4.4ish for accel and braking but my Mum does manage to get 4.8s now and then! Not sure why your accel/brake score would be so low, I don't think i've ever got that low even when flooring it.

One big thing I've noticed is that when driving on dual carrigeways or motorways the cornering score is always about 2/3 for me - this never happens when driving on inner city roads.
Original post by mhasan
Hmm..I've always noticed right from when I got the insurance about a year ago, that the speeding thing was quite lenient - going over by about 8-10 mph still gives a 5 score. However, i've never ever achieved anything above 4.4ish for accel and braking but my Mum does manage to get 4.8s now and then! Not sure why your accel/brake score would be so low, I don't think i've ever got that low even when flooring it.

One big thing I've noticed is that when driving on dual carrigeways or motorways the cornering score is always about 2/3 for me - this never happens when driving on inner city roads.

I'm sure I read in the policy booklet that it also correlates the road conditions and all sorts of things as well. I do live in the country side and cannot help but have to brake suddenly (even going at 20mph) when you are going down narrow lanes with few passing spaces with blind corners everywhere!

But even on normal, good condition roads, i'll get low scores. I gradually accelerate and gradually slow down. The only thing I can think that may cause it to be so low is when you are on a national speed limit road and I either enter a 30mph zone or have to turn off. Even then I try to slow down gradually but I am hardly going to start slowing down ages away from the turning or something and annoy other drivers. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending