The Student Room Group

I'm a guy and very self conscious of my looks...how can I stop being self conscious?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, if I were dating a guy who constantly cared about his looks instead of his personality, I'd look elsewhere. Confidence is an attractive quality and there is not one specific look for men; men all look differently.

If you are seriously obsessing about this, OP, please seek professional help or write in a journal or something.
The Ark - "Beauty is the beast", there is everything I'd like to say, there is everything you need to know :smile:
Reply 22
You stop caring what other people think of you when you realise how seldom they do
If arm is bigger than the other, stop ****ing
Reply 24
I have quite low self esteem too .. but you just gotta work on it tbh!

hardly any men are happy witht he way they look I think!

Yeah do a poll and you will see that
Psychopathy. Then you won't give a **** what other people think of you.

Otherwise; yeah, I feel like that rather on occasion. Recently I've been better at suppressing the feeling I should rip chunks of my hair out every time I look at a mirror, but generally speaking it's still a sight that makes me feel bad about myself.

You've been on antidepressants before? Do you have a psychiatrist? Have you spoken to them about this?
Original post by im so academic
At least you're not a woman. At least you can become rich and there are lots of young hot women who would want you after that.

Yeah because that's so easy to do right?
Reply 28
My barber ****ed my hair up and I fixed it myself. Look up on youtube how to cut your own hair. Snot difficult.
Reply 29
20 minutes brushing your teeth?
If you brush your teeth too much it'll brush off the enamel then you'll be left with no teeth! :eek:
Reply 30
Girls like confident men. Besides you're trying way too hard to look appealing to girls. What happens when you eventually bag one? will you always have to be at your optimum look? you'll never get comfortable like that.
Reply 31
Original post by im so academic
At least you're not a woman. At least you can become rich and there are lots of young hot women who would want you after that.

Huh? Are you implying women can't get rich :tongue:?
Original post by newts2k
why? You're pretty.

thanks i don't know, guess i have other reasons to be that way
Reply 33
I don't feel perfect about my appearance either, but when it comes to others, I only begin to fancy people once I get to know them, then they 'become beautiful', so to speak. Remember, you should make yourself look a certain way only to please yourself. If you live for others, you'll always be unhappy. The way that you look will become endearing to someone that likes you because they're specific to you, not because they find those traits attractive in an abstract sense.

Personally, I find deep red or auburn hair very striking and aesthetically pleasing, and I feel the same way about grey eyes and other trivial things. However, these are not things that will me attracted to a person, any more than a nice door will make me want to buy a house.
Reply 34
Spend as long as you want doing your hair, all my mates spend absolutely ages, I just tend to not get too close, that's all. What pisses me off so much though is when I go into a public toilet at say college and there are people doing their hair for like 10 minutes at the sinks. Today there was one guy who did his hair, then started using the hand dryer, then he went back to his hair so I started to use the drier; then 5 seconds after he said to me he was still using the drier. I had my headphones in so just pretended I didn't hear him, felt like punching him in the face for being such a douche.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Honestly, it takes a matter of practice. I'm pretty sure I dieted my way through being 16 and thought I looked like crap. I find it very hard to put into words exactly what I did but people don't judge you entirely on your looks. I feel great about how I look now, and I think its because I never obsess about it
Reply 36
Na girls love pretty boys, trust me. It's a well known fact that the amount of time you spend on your hair correlates positively to your success with women :tongue:.
Reply 37
Original post by Pixiefairy
thanks i don't know, guess i have other reasons to be that way

I think everyone insecure about something, are you curvy as well? Thats a win win

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending