The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
durhamdosser
But give it a go. It rocks. So does Hatfield.Pleeeeease come!

Actually, come to the open day. You'll probably share then, and it'll give you a taster. Ah, good plan. Go me.

Oh i definitely am planning on coming, at least to the open day, and after that so long as i get the grades! And yeh, everyones advice has been very reassuring and i can see it probably wont be a problem.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
hatty705
Oh i definitely am planning on coming, at least to the open day, and after that so long as i get the grades! And yeh, everyones advice has been very reassuring and i can see it probably wont be a problem.

Brilliant, I'll see you on the open day then! Should be around to help out with them - I'll be the one wandering around looking bemused/drunk...
Reply 22
arkbar
Apart from Mildert!

I said most....:rolleyes:
Reply 23
I say 'cake'.
Reply 24
stoney
yeah your roomie comming in at all hours of the morning does seem an issue here.

Only on a few occasions did that happen, but I did it to her as well! I only ever woke up about 2 times though.
To be honest, someone coming into your room at 3am and passing out in their bed after drinking some water isn't really that terrible or noisy. It sounds awful before you come to uni, but if you remember that most nights [that they are out], you'll also be out, it really isn't a problem.
Reply 26
I still don't like this room share idea. How shared are the rooms? Are the beds both in one room, or are they kind of connected (like the rooms at Wadham in Oxford) with seperate bedrooms but a communal bit outside? Specifically for St Marys I guess?
Reply 27
It varies from college to college, Mary's I don't think that many people share, none of the people I know there do at least.
Reply 28
Marys you share one term from three I think. I imagine it varies from block to block but most shared rooms I've seen have both beds in one (very big) room.
Reply 29
Marys you share one term from three I think.

Meh, this has thrown Warwick back into the balance. Hopefully on the open days I will be able to find out that if you don't want to share you can opt to have a single room all the time.
A shared room means one bedroom with 2 beds in (like a twin hotel room, but probably bigger).
I stayed in castle earlier this year when I was invited to an open day. I was sharing. We all went out for a drink and I decided that due to the fact I was working until 4am the previous morning, I was quite beat and would go to bed about 12. So, at quater to 2 in walks in my room mate with about three people he'd met also on the open day. I share a room with an older brother now, and was like 'oh hell no...' but once they p*ssed off and me and my room mate were alone we got on really well and chatted til about 3.

In castle, do you have to share for at least a term or can you opt for a total single room throughout the year?
Reply 32
LondonSteve181
I stayed in castle earlier this year when I was invited to an open day. I was sharing. We all went out for a drink and I decided that due to the fact I was working until 4am the previous morning, I was quite beat and would go to bed about 12. So, at quater to 2 in walks in my room mate with about three people he'd met also on the open day. I share a room with an older brother now, and was like 'oh hell no...' but once they p*ssed off and me and my room mate were alone we got on really well and chatted til about 3.

In castle, do you have to share for at least a term or can you opt for a total single room throughout the year?

If you get a single in your first term then you're pretty much guaranteed a single for the rest of the year, unless you decide you want to move into the Castle and share, but nobody will force you to move out of your single.
LondonSteve,
That's what happens at any sleep-over open day. I mean, the guy you share with on an open day has no reason to be reasonable other than common decency, wheras your roommate would at least have to think about the next few months he'd be living with you...
Reply 34
I have ups and downs with my roomate. Generally the first week of term is a bit tense, but you settle down and get to know what pisses each other off. I had one almost serious argument with him last term. This evening and last night we both got in at the same time (after different events) and had really good chats.
Reply 35
How do they set roomates? I know Butler is going to be set in flats of six - is it just arbitrary, or do they set people together with similar interests etc.? :s-smilie:
I'm a bit worried about the idea of room sharing, but for a slightly different reason: I'm a gay lad, and don't know how if would be if I shared with another (presumably straight) boy.

Do you think this would cause a problem? I'd hate to make my roommate feel uncomfortable or something, and of course wouldn't want to feel uncomfortable myself! :-s
Reply 37
Marcus-B
I'm a bit worried about the idea of room sharing, but for a slightly different reason: I'm a gay lad, and don't know how if would be if I shared with another (presumably straight) boy.

Do you think this would cause a problem? I'd hate to make my roommate feel uncomfortable or something, and of course wouldn't want to feel uncomfortable myself! :-s

There is space to express that on the form if you want, and they may or may not decide to put you in a shared room (i think they quite often do)
Reply 38
i put i was gay and wasnt allocated a shared room in term 1

in term two i spoke to maggie (our senior tutor) and she sed i wouldnt have to share if i didnt want to :biggrin:
Reply 39
Oh I will put that on the form then. Don't think they'll have shared rooms at JB but I will mention it anyway.

Latest