The Student Room Group

CELTA/ certTESOL/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Congratulations!!!! :biggrin:
I'm well jealous, can't believe I have to wait until August until my CELTA!! :frown:
Have you been given the pre-course task? I havent started mine yet :P

Now to look for jobs; since I finished uni I have been looking on TEFL.com like everyday nearly lol. Im getting more and more attracted to the idea of South Korea, the thing putting me off is missing christmas at home, Im such a mummys boy!
When are you going to start applying?
Reply 101
Dear,

For the MA TESOL, which one is easier and easy-going with the International Students? Huddersfield or Sunderland?? PLEase Help
Reply 102
Original post by s_s_8mile
Dear,

For the MA TESOL, which one is easier and easy-going with the International Students? Huddersfield or Sunderland?? PLEase Help

It depends where you are from. Sunderland is the bigger city/ town. On the other hand Huddersfield is more diverse and closer to the big cities.

I haven't done either course so can't comment on them individually sorry. Your best bet is to go on an open day and visit the department to speak to staff and students.

Good luck on your MA in TESOL. What are your previous qualifications or experiences out of interest?
I'm in two minds about what to do. I already have a job lined up in France next year, but as I want to get another one at the same time (part time), I've been looking online, and realised that I'll need a TEFL qualification.

However, I cannot afford a CELTA. Not even close. So, I want to do an online TEFL course. My thoughts are, I've already had a year's teaching experience, and this job in France is a teaching one, so that's more experience. So although I won't have the practical component, I do have more experience than some people. And my aim is to go to Latin America afterwards, where I think they're probably a little more lax about what qualifications you need to teach somewhere...

Anyone have any experience with i to i tefl courses? :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by Sun!
Congratulations!!!! :biggrin:
I'm well jealous, can't believe I have to wait until August until my CELTA!! :frown:
Have you been given the pre-course task? I havent started mine yet :P

Now to look for jobs; since I finished uni I have been looking on TEFL.com like everyday nearly lol. Im getting more and more attracted to the idea of South Korea, the thing putting me off is missing christmas at home, Im such a mummys boy!
When are you going to start applying?

Bad times - I'm already getting bored waiting for mine to start! They gave us like 40 questions to answer with some asking us why we want to be a teacher and some asking us about grammar. Apparently they're not going to collect it in, it's just to get us thinking. And I wouldn't worry, I haven't started mine yet either lol.

No idea about jobs, I keep changing my mind about where I want to go! And I think people won't take me seriously until I actually have a CELTA but I should probably start looking soon...

Original post by jonnythemoose
I'm in two minds about what to do. I already have a job lined up in France next year, but as I want to get another one at the same time (part time), I've been looking online, and realised that I'll need a TEFL qualification.

However, I cannot afford a CELTA. Not even close. So, I want to do an online TEFL course. My thoughts are, I've already had a year's teaching experience, and this job in France is a teaching one, so that's more experience. So although I won't have the practical component, I do have more experience than some people. And my aim is to go to Latin America afterwards, where I think they're probably a little more lax about what qualifications you need to teach somewhere...

Hey! I've bought an online TEFL course. It's 120 hours and it's from TEFL Express. Not heard too much about them tbh but they were offering the courses at the discounted price of £60 at my uni's annual languages recruitment fair so I thought I'd buy it and use it as practice for my CELTA when I'm bored in June. I'm a bit sceptical to tell you the truth and I don't think it's a replacement for a CELTA but I'll let you know how it goes :smile:
Just mindcasting here. What would the prospects be for an untravelled, degree-less 24 year old taking a TEFL qualification and finding employment in some corner of the world? Impossible without a degree? Pointless? Worth the risk? Can anyone undertake the CELTA course, or do you need A Levels? I only have a GCSE grade B in English Literature, and a grade C in English in Language. I'm just curious.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106

i-to-i is not a bad course, and its one of the best online courses.
However, in France you will sadly find it very difficult to get a job. Even with a CELTA is would be a struggle as most French schools require a degree, plus CELTA plus experience plus DELTA or Masters in TEFL.
I don't want to rain on your parade but I am trying to be realistic.
You wouldn’t for example want to waster £400 on i-to-i when it doesn't get you anywhere. A CELTA though would be pretty pointless if you only wanted to work part-time for a year. I would say to try to look for jobs before paying for the course and see how many opportunities there are available. TEFL.com eslcafe.com are good places to start looking.
That said I think TEFL does provide a good opportunity to travel and earn a wage at the same time and it can be very exciting. :smile:

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Just mindcasting here. What would the prospects be for an untravelled, degree-less 24 year old taking a TEFL qualification and finding employment in some corner of the world? Impossible without a degree? Pointless? Worth the risk? Can anyone undertake the CELTA course, or do you need A Levels? I only have a GCSE grade B in English Literature, and a grade C in English in Language. I'm just curious.

Well, a degree would make it much easier for you to find a job, but its not end of game. Due to visa restrictions Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Indonesia and almost certainly China are all off limits
South America is generally far less strict with fewer requirements. Europe obviously has no requirements due to the fact you don't need a visa however.... it would be near impossible to get a job in Europe without a degree.
A possible option will be to go out to a country and find a job as getting one from the UK is harder with no degree.

To get on a CELTA course you need a minimum of A-Level (or their equivalents). Some centres strongly prefer candidates to also have a degree I am sorry to say :frown:
A good option for you may be i-to-i's internship scheme. Their China and Poland internship doesn't have any requirements and will get you valuable experience. They cost £1k upwards plus flight and insurance (and visa) costs, but give you accommodation and an allowance.
http://www.onlinetefl.com/teaching-internships/

Good luck though as I am sure you will love an exotic adventure and seeing where TEFLing will take you. :smile:
Original post by Sun!
i-to-i is not a bad course, and its one of the best online courses.
However, in France you will sadly find it very difficult to get a job. Even with a CELTA is would be a struggle as most French schools require a degree, plus CELTA plus experience plus DELTA or Masters in TEFL.
I don't want to rain on your parade but I am trying to be realistic.
You wouldn’t for example want to waster £400 on i-to-i when it doesn't get you anywhere. A CELTA though would be pretty pointless if you only wanted to work part-time for a year. I would say to try to look for jobs before paying for the course and see how many opportunities there are available. TEFL.com eslcafe.com are good places to start looking.
That said I think TEFL does provide a good opportunity to travel and earn a wage at the same time and it can be very exciting. :smile:

Well I'll have a degree, teaching experience and fluent Flench, as well already be working as an English teacher at the main university of the city - so I'd like to think my chances aren't as low as you're making out! But I'm glad the i-to-i course is good. They have an offer on currently and I can do a 120-hour online course for £209 - you think it's worth that?
Original post by Sun!

Well, a degree would make it much easier for you to find a job, but its not end of game. Due to visa restrictions Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Indonesia and almost certainly China are all off limits
South America is generally far less strict with fewer requirements. Europe obviously has no requirements due to the fact you don't need a visa however.... it would be near impossible to get a job in Europe without a degree.
A possible option will be to go out to a country and find a job as getting one from the UK is harder with no degree.

To get on a CELTA course you need a minimum of A-Level (or their equivalents). Some centres strongly prefer candidates to also have a degree I am sorry to say :frown:
A good option for you may be i-to-i's internship scheme. Their China and Poland internship doesn't have any requirements and will get you valuable experience. They cost £1k upwards plus flight and insurance (and visa) costs, but give you accommodation and an allowance.
http://www.onlinetefl.com/teaching-internships/

Good luck though as I am sure you will love an exotic adventure and seeing where TEFLing will take you. :smile:

Hello Sun, thank you for your reply. Yes, you confirmed what some of my own basic research concluded - you don't need a degree to study the CELTA course yet most jobs that will use it will require a degree (in any old subject at seems, as though having a degree in something obscure such as horse management would make you a good teacher, I digress). I see that i-to-i run an internship programme in China. I've seen it said that the TELF offered by companies like i-to-is worthless. Do you think it would be better to proceed with completing my A levels and then take the CELTA, that way I can have my options open to proceed with university or teach abroad if I like it?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.
(edited 11 years ago)
Many of the jobs in Eastern Asia say a TEFL certificate/experience is unnecessary and that only a BA degree is required. Does anyone know what the prospects are for someone who has just graduated yet doesn't have a TEFL certificate and only has a small amount of experience working (in the UK) in a classroom with children?

I've looked around the internet and for many schools in China/Taiwan/South Korea for example, people have said regardless of what you've been taught in your TEFL training, schools often have a specific way they want you to teach for which TEFL training would be unnecessary.

TEFL qualifications are expensive so if it were possible I'd rather just get a job where the schools trains you up how they want you to teach. I just want to know if anyone's had any experience applying for ESL teaching jobs with only a BA degree?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
Hi, I just finished my Trinity Cert. TESOL last Friday so if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them. As far as I can make out it's pretty identical to the CELTA but about £200 cheaper for some reason...

It was the craziest, most exhausting 4 weeks of my life (and we started on the Tuesday because of the bank holiday so it was even more compressed than usual!) but also one of the best and most rewarding 4 weeks of my life. Just thought you guys would like to hear from someone who's come out the other side mostly intact and discovered a real love for teaching. I'd never taught before the course and the sense of achievement I feel now is amazing. Everyone on our course finished and I've made some great friends which I'll definitely be keeping in touch with.

Right, off to look for jobs now. World, here I come!
Reply 111
i am thinking of doing a TEFL or CELTA or something, i am doing a gap year abroad already, would it be best to wait until after uni to do it? can anyone give me some info??

thanks
Reply 112
Well I'll have a degree, teaching experience and fluent Flench, as well already be working as an English teacher at the main university of the city - so I'd like to think my chances aren't as low as you're making out! But I'm glad the i-to-i course is good. They have an offer on currently and I can do a 120-hour online course for £209 - you think it's worth that?

It seems like you are committed to i-to-i, if so do it. Im guessing you are doing a French degree and the British Council or similar has got you a job as an assistant in a French uni. This is nothing like being a teacher in a normal school where you will write lesson plans and effectively be 'in charge' of students.
I'll say it again to get a jobs in France a CELTA is usually a minimum, and a few months of experience doesn't change this sorry.
If you want to apply to schools also do it now, as nearly all will completely close down during mid July until September- its not a French myth lol :wink: :P

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Do you think it would be better to proceed with completing my A levels and then take the CELTA, that way I can have my options open to proceed with university or teach abroad if I like it?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.

Your A-Levels obviously need to be completed as a minimum. Degrees are usually only required for visa reasons, or because if schools said they didnt want degrees they would be swamped with applications.
i-to-i isn't amazing, but the programme will give you a foot in the door in China where you don't always need a degree to get a job.
Its a hard one and I don't think I can give you a real answer sorry. It is something that only you can decide. I hope you enjoy whatever you do though :smile:

Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Many of the jobs in Eastern Asia say a TEFL certificate/experience is unnecessary and that only a BA degree is required. Does anyone know what the prospects are for someone who has just graduated yet doesn't have a TEFL certificate and only has a small amount of experience working (in the UK) in a classroom with children?

TEFL qualifications are expensive so if it were possible I'd rather just get a job where the schools trains you up how they want you to teach. I just want to know if anyone's had any experience applying for ESL teaching jobs with only a BA degree?

Jobs that require a TEFL certificate will almost certainly be better schools (i.e not dodgy and less likely to mess you around) and you will also get a higher wage which will almost certainly be more than what you spent on the TEFL certificate over 12 months. Also the CELTA or TEFL certificate will give you far more options with different schools and make you more desirable to school.
Also would you want your teachers not to have any teaching qualifications? You will be a much better teacher with a TEFL certificate.
That said its really up to you, apply to some agencies and see what they offer you.

Original post by Crystal89
Hi, I just finished my Trinity Cert. TESOL last Friday so if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them. As far as I can make out it's pretty identical to the CELTA but about £200 cheaper for some reason...
Right, off to look for jobs now. World, here I come!

Hey Crystal congratulations!!!
Where are you loking for jobs? Also where did you do the course?

Original post by laseine
i am thinking of doing a TEFL or CELTA or something, i am doing a gap year abroad already, would it be best to wait until after uni to do it? can anyone give me some info??

thanks

Hmm, its hard to say. If you won't be looking for jobs I would say wait until you finish uni. Theres no need to rush and some employers won't like the fact you were certified 36 months prior, and had done no teaching.
Also I would recommend the CELTA or Trinitys CertTESOL as the best qualifications you can get.
Original post by Sun!
It seems like you are committed to i-to-i, if so do it. Im guessing you are doing a French degree and the British Council or similar has got you a job as an assistant in a French uni. This is nothing like being a teacher in a normal school where you will write lesson plans and effectively be 'in charge' of students.
I'll say it again to get a jobs in France a CELTA is usually a minimum, and a few months of experience doesn't change this sorry.
If you want to apply to schools also do it now, as nearly all will completely close down during mid July until September- its not a French myth lol :wink: :P

I've got a job working as a lecteur in a university, not through British council, rather through my university. Also, this isn't my year abroad, I've finished my degree, and I taught for a year in Latin America for my year abroad so I already have more experience under my belt than some people. But again, as I already have a job in France, it's not crucial that I find something else, I'll be earning a respectable salary, it's just I'd like to do something else to occupy my time. I know in France people have had problems with getting a non CELTA/Trinity TEFL certificate 'accepted', as I've heard the same from a friend who lived in Paris. But if anything, I can do one-to-one classes and the teaching theory provided with a TEFL will hopefully help with that. (I wanted to do the same when I lived in Mexico but felt a little lost as to how to go about structuring it) Do you mind me asking where your knowledge on the French education system and teaching etc. has come from? :smile:

After France the plan is to go to South America or Asia where I know they're less obsessed with the idea of a CELTA. Cos I can't afford to do one (and in this climate I have no idea how people our age do...) and don't really think £1,000 minimum is worth shelling out for something that will be of use to find a SECOND job for a year...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ladybex
Don't worry about TEFL. I've been TEFLing for a few years now and I know more people without TEFL than with, in both China and South Korea. I'm in China now and even know a few people without degrees.

Schools will have their own ways of doing things although to be brutally honest, not all will give you what we would call training! I also am of the firm opinion that just 'cause a school asks for TEFL, doesn't make it a better establishment. It's just a word on paper, after all, asking for TEFL.

I'm a (very casual) recruiter in China, so if you have any questions (or even want information on the couple of positions I'm looking to fill) do drop me a line. Feel free to ask me anything, both about entry and lifestyle.

As a graduate, with or without TEFL, your prospects are very, very bright. I can't even say that having TEFL would get you a better wage because in my experience, more often than not, schools recruit on a set wage regardless of TEFL/experience. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response, it has been very encouraging. I am passionate about teaching and I believe if I have the genuine capacity to teach others, and there are opportunities to do so, I shouldn't let my lack of experience impede on my ambitions. Everyone has to start somewhere and I think it is better for me to start in a foreign teaching environment, as I am an extremely quick learner, than to firstly complete a course provided by a private assessor in the UK. LadyBex, I will PM you tomorrow.
Reply 115
That's exactly the right sort of attitude. If you do TEFL, a large part of your recruitability is in your "foreign" face, so you have the room to make mistakes because most schools here won't sack you - it costs a lot of money to get you out here. It'll give you a real taste of being at the front of the classroom, combined with the sort of adventure you won't get when you settle down at home into a "real" teaching job. For me, I get to combine my love of language with my love of travel and as a priceless bonus, I never, ever thought I'd see the day I'd stand in front of sixty people and just teach but now my confidence is through the roof. To you and everyone else thinking of TEFLing, I wish you all the best!
Reply 116
Original post by Ladybex
That's exactly the right sort of attitude. If you do TEFL, a large part of your recruitability is in your "foreign" face, so you have the room to make mistakes because most schools here won't sack you - it costs a lot of money to get you out here. It'll give you a real taste of being at the front of the classroom, combined with the sort of adventure you won't get when you settle down at home into a "real" teaching job. For me, I get to combine my love of language with my love of travel and as a priceless bonus, I never, ever thought I'd see the day I'd stand in front of sixty people and just teach but now my confidence is through the roof. To you and everyone else thinking of TEFLing, I wish you all the best!

I second what Ladybex says. I TEFL-d for several years, came home and will be starting a PGCE in September - Go for it!
Has anyone gone to Australia to teach? Ideally I'd love to go there but obv there will be a lot of competition as its an English speaking country and everyone I've spoken to says they might have positions but can only interview once i'm in the country. It all sounds a little risky to me!
Reply 118
Original post by greentea123
Has anyone gone to Australia to teach? Ideally I'd love to go there but obv there will be a lot of competition as its an English speaking country and everyone I've spoken to says they might have positions but can only interview once i'm in the country. It all sounds a little risky to me!

I know that some of the schools in Sydney (and probably other places!) will take on teachers on Working Holiday Visas but beyond that you'd probably have to be quite well qualified with a Masters degree and a whole heap of experience.
Original post by abbyheat
I know that some of the schools in Sydney (and probably other places!) will take on teachers on Working Holiday Visas but beyond that you'd probably have to be quite well qualified with a Masters degree and a whole heap of experience.

Thats good to hear, do you know people who've gone there and found work or found it before they went? I was planning on going on a working holiday visa anyway, the only problem is everywhere i've emailed said they won't know about student numbers and vacancies for when I want to go till the time and are only willing to interview me once i'm there. So I'll probably have to take the risk!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending