The Student Room Group

Can I just not turn up to an A-level exam without warning?

I've paid and sorted out a re-sit for a Biology AS re-sit for like 4 weeks' time, but it turns out it's unlikely I'll need to be sitting it. Do I have to notify the school about my decision, or is it okay to just not turn up for it on the day?

Irrespective of whether or not you "have to" notify the school, I would have thought it a good idea to do so.

Why not inform them?
If someone doesn't turn up for an exam on the day there is usually a phone call and other enquiries made to check the student isn't ill or has just overslept!
(edited 12 years ago)
You don't have to, but the school may charge you for the exam if you fail to turn up without warning. If they can withdraw you they get their money back, but the final date for withdrawals will be about now I think.
Reply 3
Just tell your school, otherwise they'll start phoning you - it will save a lot of aggravation.
Reply 4
Tell them!! What a waste of money!!

if they can't withdraw you you'll still receive a statement of results with the result 'X' which means you didn't turn up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Moleman1996
You don't have to, but the school may charge you for the exam if you fail to turn up without warning. If they can withdraw you they get their money back, but the final date for withdrawals will be about now I think.

Original post by canŵio
Tell them!! What a waste of money!!

if they can't withdraw you you'll still receive a statement of results with the result 'X' which means you didn't turn up.

This is a re-sit so I've paid myself for the entry - would I get my money back for it?? I thought it would just be money down the drain! It will be good if I get "refunded" in a sense. Thanks so much for the replies, I really want to withdraw from the exam but I'm waiting on my coursework marks from a teacher - it's a case of "if the marks are good enough I won't have to do the re-sit". I'm quite confident with how the coursework went, but there is no rushing my teacher. I've told her I need to know my marks ASAP but she's still taking her time in marking it and telling me. Maybe I'll hint to her on Monday and ask this question to her... nevertheless I'll be notifying the school!
Original post by britchick
This is a re-sit so I've paid myself for the entry - would I get my money back for it?? I thought it would just be money down the drain! It will be good if I get "refunded" in a sense. Thanks so much for the replies, I really want to withdraw from the exam but I'm waiting on my coursework marks from a teacher - it's a case of "if the marks are good enough I won't have to do the re-sit". I'm quite confident with how the coursework went, but there is no rushing my teacher. I've told her I need to know my marks ASAP but she's still taking her time in marking it and telling me. Maybe I'll hint to her on Monday and ask this question to her... nevertheless I'll be notifying the school!

I think you might be able to get the money if you notify, not 100% sure though. It's worth a try.
Reply 7
You can but if you've paid, why not just sit it? Even if you don't dedicate any revision time to it, wouldn't it be worth it just to sit it? You won't get a refund of any type either way and you may even improve your grade if it's an easy paper!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending