The Student Room Group

AAB universities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swbp
Good point. I just become irritable when people claim the 1994 group are somehow worse than the RG - they're exactly the same, except the 1994 is for SMALLER research intensive universities.

LSE?
Original post by Rancorous
LSE?

You know perfectly well that LSE was admitted as a special case.

However the point you make in your first post has some validity. The admission of new members to the RG may have changed its dynamics. More importantly, it seems to have Gove's ear (if not Willetts) to the exclusion of other universities.
Reply 62
Original post by nulli tertius

However the point you make in your first post has some validity. The admission of new members to the RG may have changed its dynamics. More importantly, it seems to have Gove's ear (if not Willetts) to the exclusion of other universities.

QMUL is actually very small, meaning the initial principles of the Russell group seem to be deteriorating :/
Original post by nulli tertius

I do, but LSE combined with the new entrants makes the research size argument look a bit strained.
Original post by swbp
QMUL is actually very small, meaning the initial principles of the Russell group seem to be deteriorating :/

No, its research funding was similar to Queen's Belfast at the bottom end of the RG largely thanks to its medical school.

This humorous article from the former chairman of the 1994 Group might be closer to the mark.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=419733
Just don't do law. Do another subject you like...English, History etc...which is less competitive and where you'll end up at a better university.

Law firms don't care about the degree you do; 50% of the intake are non law students. Many if not most law students end up not becoming lawyers anyway. Employers don't really have tiers with universities as long as it's an 'old' university - these days, pretty much anything Russell Group.

Trust me, it is better to go to a nice university with a solid reputation, with a good careers service than to end up at somewhere less well-known like Reading. Law is also a very technical and often boring degree - many people who do it do not end up liking it; very few people I knew were passionate about it.

I'll say it one more time; DON'T DO LAW if you have AAB.

This is actually a misinterpretation of the statistics perpetuated by law firms as it serves their interests. The actual figure is closer to 30%, according to NT who I tend to trust on these matters.

And history/English at the better universities are usually just as popular as law.
Original post by TurboCretin
This is actually a misinterpretation of the statistics perpetuated by law firms as it serves their interests. The actual figure is closer to 30%, according to NT who I tend to trust on these matters.

And history/English at the better universities are usually just as popular as law.

Yes, I've heard this recently on here. I think it's probably for the profession as a whole, rather than City law firms which most (?) people care about. I think nulli pointed out - or I may be imagining things - that people with a law degree are more likely to do the LPC and make their degrees 'count'. High street firms and that ilk don't usually pay for it. My firm's new entrants seems to be 50/50 from the people I've encountered so far, and it reports that it takes around 50/50 on its website.
Yes, I've heard this recently on here. I think it's probably for the profession as a whole, rather than City law firms which most (?) people care about. I think nulli pointed out - or I may be imagining things - that people with a law degree are more likely to do the LPC and make their degrees 'count'. High street firms and that ilk don't usually pay for it. My firm's new entrants seems to be 50/50 from the people I've encountered so far, and it reports that it takes around 50/50 on its website.

I think that is a fair assessment.

Plunging a little bit further into the realms of speculation, I think some universities are more realistic than others about getting their graduates into training contracts. Earlier on there was reference to Reading. I only have graduate employment figures for Reading law graduates from Unistats and not training contract places. However those figures are high and have been contributing to Reading's high league table placings.

I have a suspicion, but can't prove, that Reading is successfully placing its law graduates in the M4 corridor firms whilst graduates of some more prestigious universities are being targeted exclusively at City firms they are not getting into.

Ultimately winning a handicap is more profitable than losing the Derby.

I have a feeling that a table of training contracts by university law school, would be quite startling. I think there will be a number of famous names that are well below the impression they give, I think some of the post-92s will be doing quite nicely and some of them virtually never produce a lawyer.

I think very few people would have got anywhere near predicting the Bar Barometer table for where pupils studied.
Original post by sara :D
Most of the universities I have been looking at (Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham etc) all ask for AAA, some even boosting grade requirements to A*AA (damn you Nottingham).

In case I am unable able to achieve these grades, could anyone suggest any universities, that are still reputable for law, that accept AAB (not just sometimes), or perhaps even ABB. I'm really not sure how my AS's went, as I always seem to do a lot better in my exams than I do in the preceding weeks, but I cannot be sure if it'll be the case this time round.

Edit: Just to clarify, I will still be looking chiefly at universities accepting AAA, but am looking for one AAB/ABB university in case I don't do as well as expected!

Have you looked at Hull? I can personally recommend the law department =)
Original post by bestofyou
did you even read your own link?

"This is a high-demand subject area. To be considered for an offer, applicants will need, or be predicted to achieve, at least AAAA (Highers) or AAA (A Levels with a strong set of GCSE A* grades) unless one or more contextual factors applies. Conditional offers will be made in the range of BBBB–AAAA (Highers), BBB–AAA (A Levels) or 34–42 (IB), and are likely to be in the higher range for those to whom contextual factors do not apply. In recent years 22% of undergraduate applicants to Law have received an offer"

They want AAA basically and if there are certain circumstances they will allow less than AAA but above BBB

I did read my own link, yes thank you very much; I am fully aware of what is says. They said they are willing to consider a BBB offer and for law that's absolutely brilliant, basically they do offer AAA-BBB which is perfectly fine for me to then say, if you think you're going to get AAB or less, Edinburgh may be a place where you have a chance, which is exactly what I said.

By no means would I say you'll get in with AAB or less, all I meant was, you've got more chance there than a lot of other universities. Don't jump to conclusions.
(edited 11 years ago)
In all honesty, I have been looking at law for quite a few years now, but because of the competitiveness some people have put me off a little. There isn't too much else I am very passionate about, apart from PPE which is very similar (if not higher) requirements.

May I ask what classifies as good GCSE grades? On TSR this tends to mean straight A*'s haha. I got 4 A*'s and 5 A's.

Okay, understood. If that is what you would really like to do, yes I suggest you pursue law when coming to apply through UCAS.

'Good' GCSE grades does not necessarily mean straight A*'s. 4A*'s and 5A's is considered pretty good. Believe it or not, I read somewhere that is more or less the 'average' GCSE grades at Oxford in 2008 (Rumour, not written fact. Just thought I should mention it before I get slated for an absurd statement). Anyway as long as you have got at least AABB at AS, you're definitely in good stead for an AAB offer at Exeter.

P.S What are your AS subjects?
Original post by Kevin Wu
x

Have you decided against a gap year?

Might want to consider Durham, it is in UCAS Extra for Law!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tsunami2011
Have you decided against a gap year?

Might want to consider Durham, it is in UCAS Extra for Law!

I am still 50/50 on whether to study Law at Exeter or gap year and apply for Geography. It all highly depends on my grades if I achieve more than AAA excluding Welsh Bacc. Exeter is a pretty safe offer, they accept the Welsh Bacc and AB at A Level plus a 'Exeter Excellence Scholarship', all sounds so tempting!

Anyway, I believe I did try Durham, applied through UCAS Extra for Geography. (Hmm, I think this was the point where I randomly chose Universities for Geography, predictably got rejected - seeing as my whole UCAS is based on Law)

At the time being, it looks as if I will most probably be applying for Geography. Fingers crossed!

If I remembered correctly, you got an offer at LSE for Law?
(edited 11 years ago)
Most of the universities I have been looking at (Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham etc) all ask for AAA, some even boosting grade requirements to A*AA (damn you Nottingham).

In case I am unable able to achieve these grades, could anyone suggest any universities, that are still reputable for law, that accept AAB (not just sometimes), or perhaps even ABB. I'm really not sure how my AS's went, as I always seem to do a lot better in my exams than I do in the preceding weeks, but I cannot be sure if it'll be the case this time round.

Edit: Just to clarify, I will still be looking chiefly at universities accepting AAA, but am looking for one AAB/ABB university in case I don't do as well as expected!

Sheffield,Leeds,reading
Original post by Zara_muntaha7
Sheffield,Leeds,reading

This thread is so old.. OP is finishing their PhD now
Original post by summerbirdreads
This thread is so old.. OP is finishing their PhD now

Yeah Ik
This answer made me laugh. AAB are still very good grades, especially if the A-Level subjects were hard. Telling someone not to do a certain degree just because they got one or two grades lower than expected is the worst advice I've ever heard. I know a myriad of people who did Law and absolutely loved it; it is hard and challenging but most people do it because they love the subject, not because they want to be a Lawyer. Your point is absolutely ridiculous and I don't usually waste my time replying, but this comment was certainly next level stupid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending