The Student Room Group

ICE Quest Civil Engineering scholarship

Scroll to see replies

Hey, how are you guys choosing the companies you want be interviewed by, apart from if it's a consultant or contractor?
Reply 41
Original post by Naked and Famous
Hey, how are you guys choosing the companies you want be interviewed by, apart from if it's a consultant or contractor?

I'm focusing mainly on companies i know, then taking a quick look at their websites and the projects they have done recently. I don't think you need to do that much research initially because i think you can easily get a feel for the company from their websites and the information that guy sent through.

I'm planning on picking a mixture of contractors and consultants too, just to keep my options open really.
Reply 42

I was planning on selecting contractors that work in the UK. Very keen on infrastructure, esp rail. So will be focusing my application around that for the most part.
Reply 43
Original post by melba

Original post by Cpt_Oppius

Original post by jakewalton4

Original post by CurtainrailMan

How many interviews has everyone managed to secure for the day?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by dj1015

I have four including the QUEST one, how about you? Did you get the ones you picked?
Original post by dj1015

None - I got chucked out at the first hurdle. :frown:
Original post by dj1015

4! cannot believe it :biggrin:
Buro Happold
Atkins (T1)
J Sisk & Sons
Tony Gee and partners

Only one I did not get was with WSP but in a way its better as I can focus research on these 4 much more.
What about you?
Reply 47
Original post by melba
I have four including the QUEST one, how about you? Did you get the ones you picked?

Who did you pick initially?

I choose Network rail, Buro Happold, Morgan Shindal, Atkins, Balfour Beatty.

I got 3 that I had picked so I am fairly happy with that result. Got the one I wanted to the most, so thats what matters.

Buro Happold
Atkins (T1)
J Sisk & Sons
Tony Gee and partners

Only one I did not get was with WSP but in a way its better as I can focus research on these 4 much more.
What about you?

Well done. Your list looks totally different to mine. Maybe I didn't get as many because my choices where more popular, dosen't matter anyway. Good luck on the day.
Original post by melba

Buro Happold
Atkins (T1)
J Sisk & Sons
Tony Gee and partners

What about you?

Original post by melba
I got Network Rail, BAM Nuttall and Morgan Sindall.

What were your lots grades and work experience like? I'm still trying to work out why they just told me to go away.
Reply 49
Original post by CurtainrailMan
What were your lots grades and work experience like? I'm still trying to work out why they just told me to go away.

I had an unconditional from Manchester. Don't really have any qualifications to speak off, just experience. Which I guess they and a few others at the time thought to be good enough to get in.

I wouldn't really kick your self about it, I guess you got a place at uni which is the most important thing.
Original post by dj1015

Only one with Atkins, at least it's the one I wanted the most :smile: Where is everyone going for Uni?
Reply 51
Only one with Atkins, at least it's the one I wanted the most :smile: Where is everyone going for Uni?

Manchester. what about you?

Atkins didnt give me an interview, but I managed to get others. I wonder what companies where looking for when the choose candidates.
Original post by dj1015
Manchester. what about you?

Atkins didnt give me an interview, but I managed to get others. I wonder what companies where looking for when the choose candidates.

Loughborough, but it's my insurance choice and in my application I only wrote about Southampton so that might have brought me down.

I chose,

1. Atkins
2. Balfour Beatty
3. Laing O'Rourke
4. Mott MacDonald
5. Skanska
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dj1015
Who did you pick initially?

I choose Network rail, Buro Happold, Morgan Shindal, Atkins, Balfour Beatty.

I got 3 that I had picked so I am fairly happy with that result. Got the one I wanted to the most, so thats what matters.

Well done. Your list looks totally different to mine. Maybe I didn't get as many because my choices where more popular, dosen't matter anyway. Good luck on the day.

Well done :smile: which companies are interviewing you?
Hey people. Congratulations to all those who managed to secure company interviews. I unfortunately didn't manage to secure any interview apart from the QUEST one. I chose:

-Atkins
-Balfour Beatty
-Lain O'Rourke
-Morgan Sindall
-Mott MacDonald

I was surprised I didn't get any interview. I thought my A-Level grades would be an advantage but I think experience is a greater advantage, even at this early stage....anyone going to UCL?

Kind Regards
Reply 55
I was surprised I didn't get any interview. I thought my A-Level grades would be an advantage but I think experience is a greater advantage, even at this early stage....anyone going to UCL?

Kind Regards

How did you do in your A levels mate?
Reply 56
Original post by ceteris_paribus
Hey people. Congratulations to all those who managed to secure company interviews. I unfortunately didn't manage to secure any interview apart from the QUEST one. I chose:

-Atkins
-Balfour Beatty
-Lain O'Rourke
-Morgan Sindall
-Mott MacDonald

Kind Regards

I am not trying to bloat but, I managed to get 3 interviews without any grades at all.

My guess is that the QUEST committee where looking for more than just grades. That was also stated on the web page as well.
Reply 57
Original post by melba
I'm getting quite nervous now! I think I've prepared well but you never know! What sort of things has everyone been looking at?

Been going through the company websites learning EVERYTHING!!!! Well not everything, but alot, and have been taking some detailed notes and revising from that.

Been reading NCE for the last few months to keep up with current events and such. Also been learning everything about ICE I can jam in...
Original post by melba
I'm getting quite nervous now! I think I've prepared well but you never know! What sort of things has everyone been looking at?

I've just been doing what the email said really and preparing to show my commitment to a career in civil and the other points they made. Also I've been trying to come up with questions to ask. You?
Reply 59
Original post by dj1015
Been going through the company websites learning EVERYTHING!!!! Well not everything, but alot, and have been taking some detailed notes and revising from that.

Been reading NCE for the last few months to keep up with current events and such. Also been learning everything about ICE I can jam in...

What sort of information have you been learning about ICE? I've looked at their news and stuff, things like career development etc, but not sure what else!

Quick Reply

Latest