The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DanMushMan
no do it, bring order to this place.

Hehehe, think that's a bit of a tall order. Wonder if the guy who started this thread even read as far as my bit?
Reply 21
Helenia
Hehehe, think that's a bit of a tall order. Wonder if the guy who started this thread even read as far as my bit?

Guy?! Eh! Girl, definitely. And I did read your bit; I'm very grateful for the knowledge.
Reply 22
r316
Guy?! Eh! Girl, definitely. And I did read your bit; I'm very grateful for the knowledge.

Oooops, sorry - it was kind of hard to tell from your name! :redface:

Just wanted to put your mind at ease after all these people telling you how to get to Addenbrookes. My Pembroke and Peterhouse friends are always making me very jealous with their "Oh God, I overslept today; didn't get up till 8:45 and only just made it in time!" when I have left my room by 8:45! The only time you'll have to go there is at the end of every term, and that's quite an experience, with all the first year medics trying to get on one bus...
Reply 23
r316
The college I'm interested in, Pembroke, is quite far from Addenbrokes (Medicine). How do people travel in Cambridge? Drive, walk, cycle, or is there a bus service?

A free bus service started this year. You can use your university card on some of the local bus routes.
Reply 24
Do most students in Camb use a bicycle? If they do, do they usually buy one once they go up to Camb?
Reply 25
deianra
I'm also interested in Pembroke and I've narrowed down to a shortlist of Pembroke, Clare, Caius and Christ's.

What's the accommodation and food like for all of these Colleges?

Hi there, thought I would try and sell Christ's for you. 5 reasons why Christ is the best college to apply to:

1. It has the best overall academic reputation amongst all the colleges - being here you have the best chance of getting a first.

2. The above point does not make it any harder to get in than other colleges because the applications:tongue:laces ratio is kept low as some people are scared off by the above (but don't be yourself).

3. You are in accomodation in the main campus for your entire course. In the second year you have the option of living on Jesus lane which is 90 seconds walk from the college if you prefer. At the other colleges you are considering accomodation is scattered all over Cambridge.

4. Sometimes you get free money. The college (I have no idea why) took £450 off my college bill this term.

5. Food is quite good compared to some of the other colleges. We have one of the cheapest formal halls in Cambridge at around £4.50 for a silver service three course meal.

Hope this helps

Christ's - Be the best
Alex_R

Christ's - Be the best

Was that irony? An army comparison seems pretty apt... :wink:
Reply 27
Re: Bicycle vs no bicycle - I'm hopefully going to Emma, grades permitting, and I'm doing Biological Natsci...so am I actually even going to *need* to bring a bicycle or is it not worth the hassle/possible theft?
Reply 28
Alex_R

Christ's - Be the best

Well, I have kept quiet so far, because Clare doesn't really need me to sell it :tongue: It's the best - what more can I say? Good academically, without people killing themselves when they don't get firsts, lovely accommodation (except Castle end, but even that's not too bad), fantastic music, the friendliest college, cheap formals and fab bar and ents!

Although I wouldn't mind them taking the odd £450 off my bill occasionally!

I did actually consider Christ's

But I went against it, mainly because I would have spent my time (if I did get in) wondering if it was because I'm related to the ex-master. :redface:

Lucerna - you won't need a bike for your lectures etc; it depends what else you intend on doing. For sports, especially rowing, it's very useful.
Helenia
I did actually consider Christ's

Ha!

As for the bikes - do exactly what Helenia says, even if she did think about Christs.
Helenia

But I went against it, mainly because I would have spent my time (if I did get in) wondering if it was because I'm related to the ex-master. :redface:

our master has something to do with MI5. thats all i know, but frankly thats al you need to know

rosie

Pembroke - We Have Cats
As a native cantabridgian, everyone here cycles as the bus services are so appalling, though the route to addenbrookes is more than a little dangerous but i've never died...yet
boris
As a native cantabridgian, everyone here cycles as the bus services are so appalling, though the route to addenbrookes is more than a little dangerous but i've never died...yet

appalling? appalling you say? your buses are miles better than ours, stop moaning!

plus students go free on some buses. Can't beat that!
DanMushMan
yes, go dominate the forum!

I quite like Helenia's dominant side.
Reply 34
Mentally Ill
I quite like Helenia's dominant side.

Raaa. :rolleyes: This is getting a little disturbing! Am I so bossy?
Helenia
Raaa. :rolleyes: This is getting a little disturbing! Am I so bossy?

No your not too bad. It was just a bit scary when you told them to ignore what everyone else had posted. Being bossy is good. It stops you from being trodden on.

MB
Reply 36
musicboy
No your not too bad. It was just a bit scary when you told them to ignore what everyone else had posted. Being bossy is good. It stops you from being trodden on.

MB

Well, everyone else was talking crap, I had to make myself heard! Am feeling a little foolish though; I got up thinking we had a 9am lecture; went to fetch my friend (who has a broken leg and has to be wheeled everywhere) only to discover that for the first time in the history of Thursdays we don't have a 9am one! Ooopsy :redface:
swurely being foolish and not having a lecture is better than being intelligent but having to listen to some old guy rambling for a few hours.

MB
Helenia
Well, everyone else was talking crap, I had to make myself heard! Am feeling a little foolish though; I got up thinking we had a 9am lecture; went to fetch my friend (who has a broken leg and has to be wheeled everywhere) only to discover that for the first time in the history of Thursdays we don't have a 9am one! Ooopsy :redface:

and its the right thing to do, dominate the fools and put them in order.
Reply 39
musicboy
swurely being foolish and not having a lecture is better than being intelligent but having to listen to some old guy rambling for a few hours.

MB

Hehe, our current lecturers are actually alright - although one of them does have a bit of a sick sense of humour, and keeps showing us X-rays of people who were "innocently walking around their kitchen naked, as you do, when they slipped and fell on this.......(insert name of object here)" Little twisted!

They only last 50 mins anyway - I had to be out an hour later to go to dissection.

Latest

Trending

Trending