The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard to find a job in London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ajp100688
That was my point, the OP was saying that it was harder in London when it's no harder or easier than anywhere else. The difference is that in London there actually are jobs for graduates while there aren't in smaller cities. I'm currently caught in the trap where I've graduated and I'm too qualified for most jobs in my hometown but can't afford to move to London until I save some money. It's a total catch 22.

Original post by M1011
Lol... yes that was kinda the point that was being made.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were agreeing with me :colondollar:. It sounded a bit like you were speaking how I see some other people speaking, who say that it's apparently easy to get work in London, when it really isn't.
Original post by lilac_glitter
I work in Canary Wharf and there are 2 or 3 economics graduates standing at canary wharf station with signs asking for jobs not sure if anyone else has seen them or know them. I find it pretty sad state that they cannot find jobs and have to do this as they have been sold a dream that cant be fulfilled. So dont be disheartened as it is very tough out there.

Got pics? I love to see them.

As I see it, the problem is that they want a graduate job in the financial services and they have no work experience. They could try SMEs and keep their heads down and work hard. A few years later, they might find some work in Canary Wharf.

I commend their effort. I really commend their initiative, but all financial institutions screen the candidates rigorously (for good reason). Standing with a sign in the tube station won't help - this shows that they don't really understand the industry?
Reply 22
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
It's hard to get a job everywhere, I live in the dullest city, Hull, and I must of applied for about 25 jobs and handed a s**t load of CV's in, about 5% replied to me too notify I wasn't successful. The rest just seem to ignore you and don't respect the fact you have made effort to offer your services to their business. Fustrating

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I imagine Hull would be extremely difficult to find a job in! London by comparison would be a walk in the park.
Reply 23
The city is very competitive, even people not living there apply for jobs there.
Reply 24
All my friends that got jobs got them in London. There are actually more jobs available in London than in the West Midlands by a long way.
Reply 25
have you tried mcdonalds/tesco?
I've heard Nandos look after their employees really well and they let you work in human resources or management etc
Reply 27
it's hard in london, just way too many applicants to a position who have years of exp. as a young person, you will lack experience and skills, so try going on a course/work placement to get the skills that employers are looking for, im planning to do this next week.
Start applying to retail positions in the new year. I mean before Monday 7th January 2012. This is because Christmas temp contracts will run out at this time and vacancies will come up. Apply for weekend positions if they're the only ones available - apply for anything. Get in the company first.

I'm currently working as a Christmas temp and I'll be leaving my position. There are Christmas temp that can't do their job properly because they're slow and unreliable, and won't be taken on again. The few temps that work hard and are reliable will be asked to stay on, but again, lots of these people won't come back (they hate the work, they have uni or school, or something similar).

There was a post a while back that said that temps would be taken on as permanent and no new jobs will be opening in the new year. I find that absurd. There will be people who'll leave, and the company will need able bodies to keep the store running. It's cheaper and more reliable in retail to have 15 part timers working different shifts than giving 5 people full time positions due to the very temporary nature of retail employment.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Start applying to retail positions in the new year. I mean before Monday 7th January 2012. This is because Christmas temp contracts will run out at this time and vacancies will come up. Apply for weekend positions if they're the only ones available - apply for anything. Get in the company first.

I'm currently working as a Christmas temp and I'll be leaving my position. There are Christmas temp that can't do their job properly because they're slow and unreliable, and won't be taken on again. The few temps that work hard and are reliable will be asked to stay on, but again, lots of these people won't come back (they hate the work, they have uni or school, or something similar).

There was a post a while back that said that temps would be taken on as permanent and no new jobs will be opening in the new year. I find that absurd. There will be people who'll leave, and the company will need able bodies to keep the store running. It's cheaper and more reliable in retail to have 15 part timers working different shifts than giving 5 people full time positions due to the very temporary nature of retail employment.

Yes January will have a boom in jobs being advertised as a lot of places will wait until after Christmas. In the last 3/4 weeks there has been 2 jobs advertised in my local area.

On the topic of temps. Yes some may be kept on but my experience is that they told temps to apply for the 1 position they advertised after Christmas.

The only warning I will give everyone working a temp job. If the manager says that they will be looking to keep one person on to a group then be prepared for them to keep no one on. Its a pretty effective tactic deployed to get people to agree to any hours/days that the manager needs and increases productivity even if there is no job at the end of it for anyone.

Those seeking retail work it depends on your local area to your chances. My local town has been gutted by the recession and is left with a big Tesco (that was having a good stab at gutting the town before the recession) with a couple of smaller chain shops. There is pretty much no retail sector worth mentioning in my town as most shops are now empty or the space is being rented now by charities... On the bright side the newest charity shop I stand a good chance for the management position, but with the amount of shops that have closed there is a chance I will be totally outclassed by others with far greater experience.
It's not a great state of affairs when foreigners have the impression that London is still a strong financial centre and will cater to them and their family so they move to the uk and some even buy one way tickets only to find out the reality after getting here.
Original post by Blue-Shoes
It's not a great state of affairs when foreigners have the impression that London is still a strong financial centre and will cater to them and their family so they move to the uk and some even buy one way tickets only to find out the reality after getting here.

Or some know the reality here but still find more opportunities instead of staying in their own country.
I wouldnt worry in the slightest. Apply for the bennies and if that doesn't ****in work just loot the ****er - the systems broken.
Reply 33
So far 0 luck, I'm becoming a desperate house graduate:biggrin: Got a response for a picker/packer job asking if I am still interested in the job, I wrote a positive answer and no response from the other end... Can't even get housekeeping jobs, which do not require experience :angry: I think it's about a time to volunteer so I won't waste precious time by becoming even more desperate.
Reply 34
Original post by ForgetMe
So far 0 luck, I'm becoming a desperate house graduate:biggrin: Got a response for a picker/packer job asking if I am still interested in the job, I wrote a positive answer and no response from the other end... Can't even get housekeeping jobs, which do not require experience :angry: I think it's about a time to volunteer so I won't waste precious time by becoming even more desperate.

yeah, try volunteering or ask your jobcentre for work experience, i'm going to ask my advisor for work experience next time i go, it beats doing nothing.
Reply 35
Original post by Zubes
yeah, try volunteering or ask your jobcentre for work experience, i'm going to ask my advisor for work experience next time i go, it beats doing nothing.

Last time when I was with my advisor, he told me that if I want to do the job I want, I should volunteer. Now I just need to find a good place to volunteer for, maybe even to volunteer at 2 places at the same time. So, did you asked for a work experience from your advisor? :smile: Or still haven't met with him/her?
Reply 36
What on earth? This thread must be joking.
More often than not it seems London is the ONLY place in the country you can get a job. People lucky enough to be in London have a massive advantage over everyone else when it comes to finding work.
London is where 90% of the decent jobs are. I'd rather find a job elsewhere but assuming I can find anything it would probally have to be in London.
Reply 37
Good luck :smile:

Original post by tyrr
More often than not it seems London is the ONLY place in the country you can get a job. People lucky enough to be in London have a massive advantage over everyone else when it comes to finding work.
London is where 90% of the decent jobs are. I'd rather find a job elsewhere but assuming I can find anything it would probally have to be in London.

You forgot about a huge competition as well here in London.
increasing number of college graduates, there are millions of positions that are going unfilled due to a lack of experience.
Original post by tyrr

The decent jobs might be here but the fact that there is a much greater population means that with the competition, the likelihood of getting a job is much less.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending