The Student Room Group

CHRIS BRAHNEY - MISSING from Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annie72
I hope he's found soon.

This

Original post by HomoSapiensSap
It's almost like a 'Why is he so special that he warrants more publicity than any other missing person', no?

So no missing person or child should get attention or coverage? Otherwise how would you decide who does deserve it and who doesn't? What a daft idea.
Reply 42

Was hoping he'd be found safe and well.My thoughts are with his family :frown:

omd this actually made me cry :'(
Very sad to hear, such a shame to hear about the death of anyone, especially someone so young who was simply at a gig. My thoughts are with the family and friends during this hard time for them. However, on another note, one must wonder as to why this case has received so much media attention. I mean, I'm not saying its a bad thing to use the media to help the search for someone missing, but lots of people go missing, so why should this case receive so much attention, when there are other still out there, who have been missing for years? What makes this one person so special as to deserve that? Its not a new thing either, it happened with Madeline Mccan too, even today that case receives much attention whilst other families are ignored in their attempts for searching for their loved ones. Is this really fair? One rule for some, another for the rest it would seem. Anyway, for the time being, R.I.P Chris.
Original post by Historiana
Bumping this up, as the poor lad still hasn't been found.

Unfortunately found dead in canal. http://news.sky.com/story/958026/missing-stone-roses-fan-found-dead-in-canal
Reply 46
RIP
UniversalAutocrat

thunder_chunky

Terrifically sad....

I hope for his parents sake, that it turns out to be a tragic accident rather than involving any kind of foul play so they don't have to endure a long investigation into what happened.

RIP. Barely older than I am.
Reply 48
This is just awful, the poor poor guy. What a shame. :frown:
Original post by Old Father Time
Very sad to hear, such a shame to hear about the death of anyone, especially someone so young who was simply at a gig. My thoughts are with the family and friends during this hard time for them. However, on another note, one must wonder as to why this case has received so much media attention. I mean, I'm not saying its a bad thing to use the media to help the search for someone missing, but lots of people go missing, so why should this case receive so much attention, when there are other still out there, who have been missing for years? What makes this one person so special as to deserve that? Its not a new thing either, it happened with Madeline Mccan too, even today that case receives much attention whilst other families are ignored in their attempts for searching for their loved ones. Is this really fair? One rule for some, another for the rest it would seem. Anyway, for the time being, R.I.P Chris.

I agree completely, I don't like how the media and public prioritise certain individuals just because of circumstances. Plenty of kids who are much younger and don't get anywhere near that amount of attention are still missing.
poor lad!
Original post by vedderfan94
I agree completely, I don't like how the media and public prioritise certain individuals just because of circumstances. Plenty of kids who are much younger and don't get anywhere near that amount of attention are still missing.

I think it was as a result of an on-the-ground campaign in Manchester (that is family and friends putting up posters everywhere). I have lived here for nearly twenty years and I've never seen such large-scale leafleting before, and its quite a dangerous city. Also, I think this was really in the hearts and minds of Mancunians because it wasn't JUST a gig, it was one of those rare times when we all came together to celebrate one of our most respected cultural contributions, and it was awful to see it ruined like that.
Original post by Old Father Time

It was due to the circumstances and family/friends reaction. The Stone Roses gig has been causing waves since it was announced, coupled with the band themselves getting in on the campaign meant it could easily garner national attention. Not to mention the amazing amount of effort and dedication the family and friends put in to leaflet dropping, organised searches and (possibly most importantly) the Facebook campaigns, which helped the search spread like wildfire.
Reply 53
People go missing everyday.
Most of the time, they run away from home due to depression.
I'm from Manchester and what has happened to Chris is tragedy. It seems that the police have some people on cctv who may have saw chris near river irwell, I sincerely hope these people come forward and help the police with any information.
Original post by johnaulich
I think it was as a result of an on-the-ground campaign in Manchester (that is family and friends putting up posters everywhere). I have lived here for nearly twenty years and I've never seen such large-scale leafleting before, and its quite a dangerous city. Also, I think this was really in the hearts and minds of Mancunians because it wasn't JUST a gig, it was one of those rare times when we all came together to celebrate one of our most respected cultural contributions, and it was awful to see it ruined like that.

I totally agree, I do think this story has definitely touched the hearts of Mancunians (myself included) because of the event but also because many of us have walked along the route that Chris has walked and it is harrowing to think what has happened to this young, innocent man. It is unfortunate that some other have not had the same coverage but that does not mean that Chris was not entitled to media coverage. Anything done to help solve this mystery would be beneficial, not only to Chris's family and friends (closure) but to the public as a whole to help prevent such a tragic outcome for anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending