The Student Room Group

Any graduates feel they'll be left behind in life? Read on...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bo'diddley
Sales and Trading

oh right, my dad's an engineer and he'sa saying its tragic that so many engineers are going into IB as there's a shortage of engineers, wasted talent
Reply 81
Original post by CharlD
Hey!

I know exactly how you feel. I graduated in 2010 also. I have a BSc (2.1) in Zoology and I've struggled to even find meaningful voluntary work =( I'm 26 now, with lots of student debt and have I'm doing a job I could have done after just doing GCSEs or something - it is really quite disheartening when you had the impression of 'uni=career and money'. I'm starting to feel that as I graduated so long ago and haven't managed to really utilize my degree since, it'll get even harder to use it as I'm totally out of practice!

no disrespect but what sort of career did you you envisage doing zoology?Im not criticising, just curious
Reply 82
Hey guys. Don’t get disheartened. Especially those who picked ‘harder’ subjects and as a result didn’t do as well as they could have.

I graduated in 2010 with a degree in Mathematics and Economics. I also finished with a 2.2. At first I was kicking myself. And the most frustrating thing was seeing people graduating with 2.1s in, quite frankly, much easier subjects and then getting onto graduate schemes as a result. It can be a tough pill to swallow, but realise that many employers place value on the actual degree you do. And degrees like Maths, Economics, Physics, Engineering, etc are very well respected. However this isn’t enough to guarantee anything! You have to demonstrate what skills and knowledge you developed as a result of your degree and link them to what the employer is looking for. Don't just say you have analytical skills. Give an example of a time you used them. Yes it's great that you learnt to programme in Java over summer but what does it mean to the employer? It shows you can pick up complex subjects quickly, that you're versatile and able to adapt to an increasingly IT centric work process. See what I did there?

Even with my degree, the 2.2 and lack of experience was an issue. I read somewhere that 50% of top graduate employers won’t hire someone with no work experience whatsoever. I had to do my time in pourgatory to make up for past sins, some of it was fun and some of it laborious. I spent three months abroad volunteering with a charity funded by the UK government, then came home to half a year of crappy sales jobs, although I did get some experience in a commodity broker, which was quite interesting. Fortunately I managed to get on a masters programme at my uni for Msc Economics. Come September time when I came to write my CV for the milkround, I realised something. I had a lot to write about. Anyway the point I’m trying to make is that at the time, when I was doing all these menial jobs I wasn’t thinking ‘Get experience! Get experience!” but it turns out they helped immensely and developed a range of relevant skills I could bring up in interviews.

Here's one of my recent posts with a list of graduate employers that accept 2.2s.

Regent
OP, you seem to be quite level headed and accept that you've made a mistake. Now it's time for you to move forward. You have some work experience under your belt so make the best of it.

There's quite a few graduate schemes that will wave the 2.2 if you have an otherwise stellar application. And some companies even opt for 2.2 entry requirements because they see no real distinction between the 2.1 and 2.2 category obviously, and place more emphasis on tangible skills and work experience.

Here's a few to get you started, but do your own research. Also don't turn your nose down at smaller companies.

Unilever
Government
Network Rail
Kerry Group
Babcock
Siemens
Toyota
London Finance
Smith & Williamson
Towers Watson
RWEnpower
First Actuarial
BG Group
Nestle
RWE S&T
EDF Energy
Jaguar Land Rover
HMRC
Arcadia
Centrica
Debenhams
Shell
Mercer & Hole
Jackson Stephen LLP
Stagecoach
Airbus
P&G
Ford
Amey
Civil Service
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
Procter & Gamble
Scottish Power
Chevron
Nationwide

All accept 2.2s

To be honest there are dozens of graduate schemes, especially in services like accounting, out there and if you include those within industry (CIMA finance graduate programs) then we are talking comfortably triple digits.

Unless you're at the stage where you have rejections in the twenties you should just keep applying, working on your CV and covering letter and continually checking and improving the answers to the competency based questions asked.

I received over 40 rejections (mostly for finance roles) before receiving my two offers (Big 4 and FTSE 100 company finance grad scheme) and we aren't talking some half-assed applications either. I could quite easily spend 5 hours on an application only to be instantly rejected. On average (if you include interviews, online tests and assessment centres) I've spent 10-15 hours on each application.

It's a numbers game and going through various application processes will only make you stronger and more experienced. If you make 100 well thought out, targeted applications and haven't landed a job then you might have a reason to be worried otherwise man up and soldier on.

Edit: Personal experience-also carrying a Desmond.

I still stick by what i said then. Your life should move in one direction. Forward. Soldier on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
...Going to apply for every internship I can find for the next year, then :/

For those who've managed to get placements: if an application form specifically asks for relevant work experience, and I don't have anything relevant and recent, should I put down non-relevant jobs/ECs/voluntary work? I'm studying physics and I'd be applying for related internships; my ECs are mainly charity-based and I've done a bit of office temping... not relevant at all! It might sound like a bit of dumb question but I'd be worrying that they'd just see that I'd ignored the 'relevant' part of the form and that might annoy them :/ Or should I split my CV into 'relevant experience' and 'other experience' or something?
Reply 84
I have work experience and a lot of high profile ECs but I don't know if people are trying to put me down on this site or what, but the impression I get is that it will be difficult to get a good job despite all that has happened. Work experience is not great unless it is in the field that you want to go into (I want to go into sales and trading so my nuclear ones are useless - despite me accomplishing a lot in them). Grades will get you an interview but after that you are on your own and its a lot down to luck. I wish I was born 10 years ago where a first form a top institution pretty much guaranteed you a good IB job.

Most of the lurkers and posters in the IB forums are insecure tools. They think money will make up for their perceived lack of character.

Beating a few people down gives them some twisted sense of superiority. Don't mind them.

Start preparing for your applications now. Most IB graduate schemes open for recruitment next month. Best of luck.
Original post by jonnythemoose
I can understand how you feel, although in my case I think I'm sort of choosing to be 'left behind'. I've just graduated (three days ago!) and a lot of my friends are moving into full-time work or doing Master's degrees.

I know that one day I want to do a Master's too, as I want to pursue a career in interpreting and/or translation; however, I am ready for a break from the world of academia, and there are so many things I want to see and do now, whilst I have no responsibilities or ties to home. So this year I'll be going to France to work for a year; and the following year I'm hoping to go to Colombia. At some point I'd like to spend some time in Asia, and also in Brazil.

At this rate, I can't see myself having the money or the desire to do the Master's for another five years or so, which is absolutely fine by me...I can't get into my chosen career path without a Master's, and by spending time abroad I am improving my languages skills, so it's not like I'm dossing about. Nevertheless I know that in a couple of years time, I'll probably feel a little bit left behind, too. Try not to worry about it, OP. We are in a difficult time economically, and there's no rush to get into the serious world of work. After all; you'll be working until you're 65...why does it matter if you start at 21, 22, 26, 29...? :smile:

How did you find a job in France, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by RabbitCFH
How did you find a job in France, if you don't mind me asking?

My university has a link with a French university where they send one of their graduates to be a language assistant, or as the French sya, a 'lecteur' or 'lectrice' every year - and I was the lucky one to be selected this year. :biggrin:
My university has a link with a French university where they send one of their graduates to be a language assistant, or as the French sya, a 'lecteur' or 'lectrice' every year - and I was the lucky one to be selected this year. :biggrin:

Ah fair enough. That's pretty cool, congrats. I'd love to work at least for a while in the US or Canada but that's almost impossible.
Ah fair enough. That's pretty cool, congrats. I'd love to work at least for a while in the US or Canada but that's almost impossible.

Nothing's impossible, my friend. The world is our lobster. What's stopping you?
Nothing's impossible, my friend. The world is our lobster. What's stopping you?

Immigration laws. :tongue:
Immigration laws. :tongue:

Ah, raspberries. Marry an american?
Reply 91
Original post by hiding12
oh right, my dad's an engineer and he'sa saying its tragic that so many engineers are going into IB as there's a shortage of engineers, wasted talent

having done an internship with bp and now a nuclear firm, I can see why. The work is slow and hardly challenging, banking is lot faster paced and you get rewarded well for the effort you put in so there is that incentive.
Reply 92
having done an internship with bp and now a nuclear firm, I can see why. The work is slow and hardly challenging, banking is lot faster paced and you get rewarded well for the effort you put in so there is that incentive.

Yeah but there are many different types of engineering with high job satisfaction my dad says. Banking is boring and repetitive, most people I know in banking hate it and themselves. In engineering, you can make a difference
Reply 93
Original post by hiding12
Yeah but there are many different types of engineering with high job satisfaction my dad says. Banking is boring and repetitive, most people I know in banking hate it and themselves. In engineering, you can make a difference

Sales and Trading is many things. But it certainly ain't boring.
Reply 94
Sales and Trading is many things. But it certainly ain't boring.

Well I suppose trading isn't. My dad finds it very interesting to see these various projects through and to see how they make a difference, he's just a normal guy, no t the geeky type.
Reply 95
I got a job as an Analyst Programmer in an insurance company over plenty of people with Computer Science degrees, which are much more relevant. They took me on knowing they would have to train me and are sending me on these training courses spending thousands, IT courses are insanely expensive!). Maths defintily carries the clout factor with employers. Although I also took a gap year before uni working for a software engineering comapny who then sponsored me to go to uni with no obligation to return afterwards (which I didnt lol but worked every holidays I could ££££ :smile:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by lcsurfer
I did not do business i did disaster management and now work in it. The job market is bad but it is all about contacts, who you know, links into industry... there are hunderd of physics/maths students and speaking from experience if an 18 year old has 2 years of office experience or work compared to a 21 yr old graduate who has never had a job with a degree, I'd got for the 18 year old because of the experience...
Obviously they want someone with relevant knowledge (as you stated)... Your best bet will be to find someone you know or just chat to people, linkedin is a great tool for that! and networking. Go an offer to volunteer for a few weeks as you will get your name out there. I Haven't been unemployed since the age of 14, its takes hard work and dedication.

LOL I havent been unemployed since my paper round I got the day after my 13th birthday, I just always had that work ethic even if it meant getting up early every saturday and sunday morning.

I had no idea that work experience outside of uni was so important to finding jobs after uni. My brother is just starting a maths degree at Leeds this september and im going to force him to take a placement year or find a summer internship.

From what everyone seems to say, work experience is key.
(edited 11 years ago)
I hope that doing a masters and gaining an in depth knowledge in a specific area with practical usage may be the way forward, but like you said there's not a guarantee. I am doing something similar
Reply 98
Original post by dom99
LOL I havent been unemployed since my paper round I got the day after my 13th birthday, I just always had that work ethic even if it meant getting up early every saturday and sunday morning.

You sound arrogant. Being unemployed has very little to do with work ethic for a lot of graduates. Plenty of Oxbridge alumni on the doll right now.
Reply 99
Original post by Regent
You sound arrogant. Being unemployed has very little to do with work ethic for a lot of graduates. Plenty of Oxbridge alumni on the doll right now.

He means, work ethic to do any job... Being unemployed has a correlation with work ethic, I'd happily take any job retail or admin over being unemployed. I've always been employed too since my paper round when i was 14. Worked all the way through Uni and now have a really good job as a graduate.
I know many people from oxbridge and top unis on he doll....
It's not being arrogant it's being productive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending