The Student Room Group

Drop Further Maths for Maths?

Hi there

I got my AS results thursday, and I got AABB (Computing, Chemistry, Maths, Physics), with 236 ums in Maths. My school does FM differently, in that we do C1-3, M1 & FP1 in Y12 and 7 modules in Y13, and in these exams I got 79, 79, 80, 78, 87 ums respectively.

I am looking at studying Computer Science at somewhere high end (Oxford, Warwick etc.) and i'm feeling really motivated from my results to pick up the A* in Computing and work a lot harder than I did last year.

From what I can see, I have 2 options (both include dropping physics anyway):

Drop A2 FM, pick up A2 M & AS FM (this will give me free C1&C2 retakes in january) and pretty much focus on getting an A in Maths (I can easily achieve this, I have no doubt in my mind).

Keep FM at A2, retake C1&C2 (paid) and work a lot harder, but run the risk of getting BB rather than A (from what I understand most unis give you a lower off if you have further maths, but not oxford). This way could also pay off with AB, or even AA if I really put some effort in.

What do people think? I'm leaning towards keeping FM, but I can see the benefits of just doing maths...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scillage
I can see the benefits of just doing maths...

You would be better off dropping computing.
Hi there

I got my AS results thursday, and I got AABB (Computing, Chemistry, Maths, Physics), with 236 ums in Maths. My school does FM differently, in that we do C1-3, M1 & FP1 in Y12 and 7 modules in Y13, and in these exams I got 79, 79, 80, 78, 87 ums respectively.

I am looking at studying Computer Science at somewhere high end (Oxford, Warwick etc.) and i'm feeling really motivated from my results to pick up the A* in Computing and work a lot harder than I did last year.

Drop A2 FM, pick up A2 M & AS FM (this will give me free C1&C2 retakes in january) and pretty much focus on getting an A in Maths (I can easily achieve this, I have no doubt in my mind).

Keep FM at A2, retake C1&C2 (paid) and work a lot harder, but run the risk of getting BB rather than A (from what I understand most unis give you a lower off if you have further maths, but not oxford). This way could also pay off with AB, or even AA if I really put some effort in.

What do people think? I'm leaning towards keeping FM, but I can see the benefits of just doing maths...

When the offer is A*AA, does the A* have to be in anything particular? I would usually think they A* has to be in maths for compsci. In which case you would also need to resit C3, unless you plan to 100% C4.

An A in maths with the grades you currently have would be no issue, you would just need 184 in C4 + one other applied module. Which would then make AS FM a very easy A too since your FP1 mark is good.

However, if you kept FM for A2 you would need to work considerably harder and you wouldn't really need it.

I personally would keep the A2 FM, partly because it looks good on applications, it looks like you can probably get an A in it with the right module choices and a little work, and I just love maths :biggrin:. FM A2 is very interesting too.
Reply 3
Yeah I agree. Maths and further maths is very beneficial for computer science.
in these exams I got 79, 79, 80, 78, 87 ums respectively.

It might be worth adding that these results in maths are pretty poor for someone who considers himself a prospective Oxford candidate.
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke
It might be worth adding that these results in maths are pretty poor for someone who considers himself a prospective Oxford candidate.

Indeed, the entrance test for computer science is very challenging mathematically.

I do agree with this, there is an Oxford Compsci entry paper which has some pretty hard maths. I just got A*A* maths + FM and still find it very hard :tongue:

Original post by Cephalus
Indeed, the entrance test for computer science is very challenging mathematically.

We just answered the same thing at the same time :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by TheIrrational
I do agree with this, there is an Oxford Compsci entry paper which has some pretty hard maths. I just got A*A* maths + FM and still find it very hard :tongue:

We just answered the same thing at the same time :redface:

Haha we have the same grades for maths and fm :biggrin:

loool the maths is 'supposed to be c1 and c2', but you really need to be doing further maths for it imo :biggrin:
Reply 8
You would be better off dropping computing.

For Compsci? The A* needs to be in Computing, Maths, FM or Physics, so i'm planning on A* in computing and A's in Maths and Chemistry.

I know I am better than the marks I got, when I started Y12 I was still in GCSE mode, where I had no need to try in maths as it was all fairly easy... I only within the last couple of months of the year picked myself up and did some work, but I plan on spending 2 hours every night studying to improve my grades... I am also very passionate about the whole CompSci area, and hoping that unis will be able to see that.
Haha we have the same grades for maths and fm :biggrin:

loool the maths is 'supposed to be c1 and c2', but you really need to be doing further maths for it imo :biggrin:

I'm Tomcrease by the way - opened a new account. No longer wanted to be commenting with my real name :biggrin:

Some of the integration in that oxford paper though! C1 and C2 my arse.
Reply 10
Original post by TheIrrational
I'm Tomcrease by the way - opened a new account. No longer wanted to be commenting with my real name :biggrin:

Some of the integration in that oxford paper though! C1 and C2 my arse.

Looooool :biggrin:

I know its really hard :biggrin:

(And I like the name :smile:)
For Compsci? The A* needs to be in Computing, Maths, FM or Physics, so i'm planning on A* in computing and A's in Maths and Chemistry.

I know I am better than the marks I got, when I started Y12 I was still in GCSE mode, where I had no need to try in maths as it was all fairly easy... I only within the last couple of months of the year picked myself up and did some work, but I plan on spending 2 hours every night studying to improve my grades... I am also very passionate about the whole CompSci area, and hoping that unis will be able to see that.

Just do every past paper leading up to maths exams :smile: try and read around the subject a little to understand why everything happens the way it does and there is no reason someone can't get 100% in maths modules.

A2 computing is much harder than A2 maths from what I hear, in the long run it could be beneficial to resit c3.

Also, 2 hours a night is probably not necessary, but if you feel you can put this work in without burning out, go ahead :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by geditor
Are you sure? The top end universities don't tend to want computing A-level; in fact, at Oxford, they said they preferred it if you didn't take computing and preferred subjects like maths, f.maths (especially decision maths) and physics.

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#What_is_your_standard_conditional_offer.3F

@TheIrrational, thank you for the advice, as well as everyone else :smile: I think I will continue A2 FM and just work a lot harder... and possible retake C3 in the summer if needbe :smile: I'm viewing this year as a completely fresh start, where I will work harder and put in more effort than in Y12, so hopefully it will pay off :P
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#What_is_your_standard_conditional_offer.3F

@TheIrrational, thank you for the advice, as well as everyone else :smile: I think I will continue A2 FM and just work a lot harder... and possible retake C3 in the summer if needbe :smile: I'm viewing this year as a completely fresh start, where I will work harder and put in more effort than in Y12, so hopefully it will pay off :P

Good luck then :smile:
Reply 14

While I would encourage at OP to be realistic about their chances, relatively average scores do not necessarily indicate whether they have the ability or not, or how they will perform in the MAT. I know neither of you said that was the case this is more directed at the OP.

In fact, my A-level Maths scores were no better (I got 82 78 ~75 59 in C1-4 respectively before retakes, and still never got an A*) and I ended up at Oxford for Computer Science. Incidently I got a high 2:1 in the Applied Maths paper in my first year (Calculus + Probability), where Calculus is what let me down at A-level.
Reply 15
Hi there

Although Oxford say on their website that you need A* in Physics, Maths, F.Maths or Computing, at the open day they did say that you'd have a higher chance of getting in if you had a-levels in Maths, F.Maths and Computing/Physics rather than just Maths and Computing. One of the students there also told me that Physics is slightly more beneficial than computing a-level depending on the course you do. With WJEC Computing, the course was so bad that he ended up dropping the subject half way through... My advice to you is to continue with F. Maths (and obv. Maths and Computing) and see how it goes from their. If you weren't so eager to drop Physics, I'd say try and do four subjects because it gives you an edge over other candidates.
Good Luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Fallen
While I would encourage at OP to be realistic about their chances, relatively average scores do not necessarily indicate whether they have the ability or not, or how they will perform in the MAT. I know neither of you said that was the case this is more directed at the OP.

In fact, my A-level Maths scores were no better (I got 82 78 ~75 59 in C1-4 respectively before retakes, and still never got an A*) and I ended up at Oxford for Computer Science. Incidently I got a high 2:1 in the Applied Maths paper in my first year (Calculus + Probability), where Calculus is what let me down at A-level.

What did you end up with after retakes, and what were your other grades? I didn't "struggle" with anything, I just didn't work hard enough, as i've never struggled with maths or sciences before (at GCSE science I got 100% in all 6 core & additional science exams).

Original post by geditor
Although Oxford say on their website that you need A* in Physics, Maths, F.Maths or Computing, at the open day they did say that you'd have a higher chance of getting in if you had a-levels in Maths, F.Maths and Computing/Physics rather than just Maths and Computing. One of the students there also told me that Physics is slightly more beneficial than computing a-level depending on the course you do. With WJEC Computing, the course was so bad that he ended up dropping the subject half way through... My advice to you is to continue with F. Maths (and obv. Maths and Computing) and see how it goes from their. If you weren't so eager to drop Physics, I'd say try and do four subjects because it gives you an edge over other candidates.
Good Luck :smile:

That's interesting, well hopefully if I get good grades in FM it will give me an edge over people like me who dropped it/didn't do it in the first place :smile: I'm not eager to drop it, I actually really enjoyed physics as well, much more than chemistry, but I got worse grades in exams than it so :P
Reply 17
What did you end up with after retakes, and what were your other grades? I didn't "struggle" with anything, I just didn't work hard enough, as i've never struggled with maths or sciences before (at GCSE science I got 100% in all 6 core & additional science exams).

GCSE isn't really relevant.

I got AAA*A* in Maths, FMaths, Physics, and Chemistry.

100 96 85 80 in C1-4 after retakes.

And struggle is relative. Some people would be very happy with my scores, but most of the people I know got 90+ across the board, first time, without putting in effort.
There is lots of useful and correct advice in the posts above, but perhaps I can summarise the Oxford Computer Science point of view on this one.

The standard offer for Computer Science here at Oxford is indeed A*AA with at least in A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. (You will always see these subjects written in this order on any official documents that come out of the Dept: it is deliberate.) Our standard offers are based on 3 A Levels. Unlike some universities who if you take more A Levels include them in the offer, we don't. We'd prefer not to see re-takes but they aren't a deal-breaker.

Computer Science is a very mathematical subject. Especially the way we teach it at Oxford. Our courses start from first principles. We aren't looking for any specific knowledge of Computing, but we are looking for people who have really developed their mathematical thinking and will thrive on the course. We think doing both Maths and Further Maths to A2 is the best preparation, but we recognise that some schools are unable to offer this combination, which is why it's not on our essential list. All of our candidates sit the Aptitude Test (AKA the MAT). It's a maths-centered test, so doing Further Maths is likely to help you with it. If you'd had the opportunity to take FMaths to full A Level and had chosen not to we would be concerned as to why.

So, Maths is essential and Further Maths is highly recommended. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. (Although we do see many with Chemistry instead/as well.) Some students come to us having studied Computing A Level, but many haven't. We are looking for students with a genuine interest in the subject, and doing Computing A Level is one (of many) ways of showing this interest, and commitment.

We do look at GCSE results, but the Aptitude Test is more important. When deciding who to interview, and ultimately who to offer a place to we look at all the information we have about you. Broadly speaking candidates who were shortlisted for interview in the last admissions round got 50% or more in the Aptitude Test. So yes, it's meant to be tough :-)

Hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
There is lots of useful and correct advice in the posts above, but perhaps I can summarise the Oxford Computer Science point of view on this one.

The standard offer for Computer Science here at Oxford is indeed A*AA with at least in A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. (You will always see these subjects written in this order on any official documents that come out of the Dept: it is deliberate.) Our standard offers are based on 3 A Levels. Unlike some universities who if you take more A Levels include them in the offer, we don't. We'd prefer not to see re-takes but they aren't a deal-breaker.

Computer Science is a very mathematical subject. Especially the way we teach it at Oxford. Our courses start from first principles. We aren't looking for any specific knowledge of Computing, but we are looking for people who have really developed their mathematical thinking and will thrive on the course. We think doing both Maths and Further Maths to A2 is the best preparation, but we recognise that some schools are unable to offer this combination, which is why it's not on our essential list. All of our candidates sit the Aptitude Test (AKA the MAT). It's a maths-centered test, so doing Further Maths is likely to help you with it. If you'd had the opportunity to take FMaths to full A Level and had chosen not to we would be concerned as to why.

So, Maths is essential and Further Maths is highly recommended. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. (Although we do see many with Chemistry instead/as well.) Some students come to us having studied Computing A Level, but many haven't. We are looking for students with a genuine interest in the subject, and doing Computing A Level is one (of many) ways of showing this interest, and commitment.

We do look at GCSE results, but the Aptitude Test is more important. When deciding who to interview, and ultimately who to offer a place to we look at all the information we have about you. Broadly speaking candidates who were shortlisted for interview in the last admissions round got 50% or more in the Aptitude Test. So yes, it's meant to be tough :-)

Hope that helps.

Surely people who have not done Further Maths would be disadvanted in the MAT since they have not done some of the material?

Quick Reply

Latest